Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Hunting
 Bullet performance
 Hornady GMX Bullets
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

fishstan2
Advanced Member

USA
2300 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2009 :  10:40:01  Show Profile  Send fishstan2 a Yahoo! Message Send fishstan2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey everybody, well since I am deployed over here and can't reload was just kinda wondering if any of you folks have had the chance to shoot some of the sounds like fantastic Hornady GMX bullets. I have read good articles on them and they sound like they will perform, sure could use some good feedback from you guys. Thanks Stan

WILLIAMS, STANLEY W.
CSM JBLM
"I SAY SHOOTEM FROM LONG RANGE"

curly

Canada
2985 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2009 :  12:14:12  Show Profile Send curly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Stan; I've been eyeballing the new GMX bullets as well...At least in print...Pretty tough getting any supplies of any kind up here in Kanadastan....

If we go "lead free" up here in the Great White North, this is the bullet I want to use...

Curly
Go to Top of Page

fishstan2
Advanced Member

USA
2300 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2009 :  07:06:17  Show Profile  Send fishstan2 a Yahoo! Message Send fishstan2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Curly, if you do get the shoot them let me know how good or not they are. Thanks Stan

When I get home if you need stuff shipped up north I sure could help you out, like bullets and stuff as I was not having any problems getting reloading stuff. Stan

WILLIAMS, STANLEY W.
CSM JBLM

Edited by - fishstan2 on Jun 28 2009 07:07:45
Go to Top of Page

hog boy

234 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2009 :  09:25:17  Show Profile Send hog boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a handful of 225 SST's loaded for my 338 Ultra right now. When I shoot all them up I am going to switch to the GMX's. SST's at 3000+ fps impact velocity do not hold up well, as I learned last fall. According to Hornady, you can use the same load data for the GMX, SST, and Interbond. It should be an easy switch. I'll let you know how they perform on paper when I get the chance.

"The government is best which governs the least"
Go to Top of Page

fishstan2
Advanced Member

USA
2300 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  03:34:28  Show Profile  Send fishstan2 a Yahoo! Message Send fishstan2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks there HB, please let me know as I am always looking for the Big BBD (bigger, better, deal). Stan

WILLIAMS, STANLEY W.
CSM JBLM
Go to Top of Page

newguy220

USA
418 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2009 :  00:19:04  Show Profile Send newguy220 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is the .30cal 165gr, to small to shoot out of the 300RUM for elk? I was wanting to shoot at 180gr, but I can't seem to find them.

newguy220

Edited by - newguy220 on Jul 03 2009 00:19:36
Go to Top of Page

fishstan2
Advanced Member

USA
2300 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2009 :  09:51:10  Show Profile  Send fishstan2 a Yahoo! Message Send fishstan2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Newguy220, I am sure that 165 grain bullets have taken more than their fare share of all kinds of game to include the "Dangerous Typs" and I think I would be safe to say the answer to your question is "YES" (I killed my two elk with 165 grain bullets 1 out of a 300 Win Mag, the other with a 300 Weatherby mag). However, you will hear that 180's and 200 grainers are much better, well "YES" again. I would say "YES' to all the 3 bullets weights listed. But would still go with what is most important in all shooting, "BULLET PLACEMENT". Good luck and good shooting. Stan

WILLIAMS, STANLEY W.
CSM JBLM
Go to Top of Page

newguy220

USA
418 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2009 :  15:22:39  Show Profile Send newguy220 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've killed elk with 165's out of a 30-06, but I seen a friend shoot some of the 165's out his 300RUM and they blew apart when they hit the ribcage, about 120 yard shot. So, I have been trying to stay away from them for my 300RUM. I have always had good luck with hornady bullets and the new GMX bullets look like they would be cool to try out in a 180gr version.

newguy220

Edited by - newguy220 on Jul 04 2009 15:23:25
Go to Top of Page

fishstan2
Advanced Member

USA
2300 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  07:38:55  Show Profile  Send fishstan2 a Yahoo! Message Send fishstan2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Newguy, hey keep me posted of how the GMX bullets shoot. I would also have to say the all copper bullets in the 165 grain weight would have to much better in the weight retention part. I will, when I get the chance for sure give them a shot. I did some reloading for a guy this last year who killed a few animals with the Barnes 168 TSX and 180 TSX,s out of his 300 Weatherby. Longest shot was around 460 yards. Anyway please keep me posted. Stan

WILLIAMS, STANLEY W.
CSM JBLM
Go to Top of Page

3006Savage

267 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  10:24:59  Show Profile Send 3006Savage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You may also want to consider the Nosler eTip. Its 150 grain 30 cal actually has a better BC .469 than the 165 grain GMX does at .447 BC. With its 95% retained weight it should have more than adaquate penetration on game. They are not cheap however.
Go to Top of Page

newguy220

USA
418 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  14:49:16  Show Profile Send newguy220 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats what I have noticed about all these copper bullets there not cheap. I'm going to have to pick one and give them a try. Fishstan2, I don't think I'm going to try them on game because I ended up with archery tags for this fall, unless I happen across a black bear, I got to stick everything with a sharp pointing stick. Thanks for the information.

newguy220
Go to Top of Page

fishstan2
Advanced Member

USA
2300 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  04:14:04  Show Profile  Send fishstan2 a Yahoo! Message Send fishstan2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well good luck there Newguy, But if anybody does do some shooting with these bullets please let me know. Yes, there are are all kinds of copper bullets to be had these days. I just would like to know where to spend my money and which one performs the best and I could not think of a better group of folks to get that information from. Stan

WILLIAMS, STANLEY W.
CSM JBLM
Go to Top of Page

Greg L Lane
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  16:50:18  Show Profile  Send Greg L Lane an AOL message Send Greg L Lane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by newguy220

Thats what I have noticed about all these copper bullets there not cheap. I'm going to have to pick one and give them a try. Fishstan2, I don't think I'm going to try them on game because I ended up with archery tags for this fall, unless I happen across a black bear, I got to stick everything with a sharp pointing stick. Thanks for the information.

newguy220

The GMX and Nosler Etip aren't all copper bullets. The Barnes TSX/TTSX are the only all copper out of these 3.
Go to Top of Page

skyline
Advanced Member

Canada
2807 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  17:44:39  Show Profile Send skyline a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greg you are absolutely right........but I think you will find it is being used by many as a generic term for these 'unleaded' bullets.

Let no good deed go unpunished.
Go to Top of Page

robz

Australia
40 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  04:07:35  Show Profile Send robz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loaded a batch in my 270 Savage Weather Warrior using AR 2213 SC and seating around 30 thou from the lands. 58.5gn produced best group at 1inch at 100 meters.Max load in my manual is 60gn , but my groups went to pot above 58.5. Velocity for three shot group was 2970, 2965 & 2961.They are a little longer than your average projectile and I got pressure problems early on when seated to just kissing the lands.Have not shot any game as yet, but on paper they look promising
rob

robz
Go to Top of Page

fishstan2
Advanced Member

USA
2300 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  04:31:10  Show Profile  Send fishstan2 a Yahoo! Message Send fishstan2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Robz, "Yes", I think these will perform and as more of guys like you come on line we should be able to hear how they perform in other calibers. Thanks for the information. Question: Do you think they are worth the money. Stan

WILLIAMS, STANLEY W.
CSM JBLM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06