Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 .308 win bullet drop
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HighPoint

USA
281 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  13:29:34  Show Profile Send HighPoint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey guys just got back from the range shooting the new rifle I got, a Savage BAS-K .308 winchester, with 24" heavy fluted barrel, I am sighted in at 1/2 inch high at 140 yds, but at 250yds if I aim true I have about 6 to 7 inches of bullet drop, on 30 x I could hold on the first mill dot and hit where I wanted, is this normal bullet drop for the .308 winchester, I am new to shooting this caliber. The load I am using is 168 gr. nosler custom competition BTHP, 45 gr. of BL-C(2), LC Brass trim 2.005, cci mag primer, coal 2.800, I dont know the speed, no chrony yet. this seems like alot of drop to me but I am new to the caliber and am no expert on it yet, I have high rings mounted on a good size picitiny rail, could this be a factor. I will post a pic to let you see the hieghth of the scope, THANKS

BISCUT

3501 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  14:05:09  Show Profile Send BISCUT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HighPoint:

It's been a while since I've dealt w. drop in the 308 but IIRC 3.5-4" would seem about norm. Others here can nail it for you probably from memory. SD on the boolit should be pretty damn good as well. Haven't used BL-C(2) so maybe a light charge? 24" tube should more than enought long to get complete powder burn. Interested to see what others have to say.
Go to Top of Page

Matthew222

USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  20:50:02  Show Profile Send Matthew222 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use 46.5 grs blc2 and a 168 gr Noz BT and standard primers and was gonna clock some tommorow (with some others that I hadnt done yet) I will post th results if you like but this is a HR handi w/22"BBL, it may not help,but ? They shoot 1" at 100 yds and it's as good as I can get from it and its trigger.
Matthew

Behold the rain which
descends from heaven upon our vineyards; there it enters the roots of
the vines, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves
us, and loves to see us happy. Ben Franklin
Go to Top of Page

dmsbandit
Advanced Member

USA
1788 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  22:41:05  Show Profile  Send dmsbandit a Yahoo! Message Send dmsbandit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't speak to your exact load, but this is what I get with my 308 and 150 grain Speer BT. At a velocity of 2575fps with a +2.3" at 100 yds gets me -9.4" at 300 yds.

Why are you sighted in at 140 yds? Wouldn't a 200 yd zero work better? The you'd only be a few inches low at 250.

I don't drink or smoke, I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
Go to Top of Page

Matthew222

USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  10:31:21  Show Profile Send Matthew222 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HighPoint, I know that th defference is nitr and day between my rifle and yours but I thought that it might be worth a look
26.5 grs. BLc2 -Fed 210 primers- WW brass 22" bbl
AV 2688 for five shots ES 16
I sight this in at +1.5"@ 100 and it 'bout +.5-.75" @ 200 yds.
Think my loads are a little warm,
Dont know if this helps, thought I post it anyway.
Good luck. Very,Very nice rifle BTW
Matthew

Behold the rain which
descends from heaven upon our vineyards; there it enters the roots of
the vines, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves
us, and loves to see us happy. Ben Franklin
Go to Top of Page

determined451
Advanced Member

973 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  16:09:27  Show Profile  Click to see determined451's MSN Messenger address  Send determined451 a Yahoo! Message Send determined451 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the amount of drop seems normal, but I have to ask also...why sight in at 140...sure would be easier to figure with a 200, or even 100 zero..D-451

The Second Amendment.. America's Original Homeland Security
Go to Top of Page

matthendrickson

30 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  00:32:10  Show Profile Send matthendrickson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
this is a site i use for bullet drop its dead on out to 600 so far.
http://www.sav10ml.com/pages/load_data/traj_basic_dat.html
i hope this help anyone who uses it
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06