Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 Most Accurate Bullet
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sonnyboy

USA
353 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  07:57:36  Show Profile Send sonnyboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let me say up front that I am not trying to start an argument or controversy on the subject of bullets. I am in search of the most accurate .308 dia bullets on the open market. Bullets that are available in most main-stream gun shops is what I am talking about.
I have used only Nosler BT’s & Sierra MK’s because I have read & heard from others that these are “best” for accuracy. I cannot afford custom made bullets because I am not a wealthy individual but I still like to search for that magical one-hole group that seems to elude me. I do have a rifle that is capable of shooting very small groups.
Any info you can give me will be much appreciated.

Happy Shooting
Sonnyboy

fishstan2
Advanced Member

USA
2289 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  08:21:33  Show Profile  Send fishstan2 a Yahoo! Message Send fishstan2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Sonnyboy, well for the money I would say that Hornady's A-Max bullets for accuracy and BC are hard to beat. They won't break the bank and I can attest they shoot real good. I would also have to agree with you on the Nosler Ballistic Tips and Sierra Match kings as they shoot good also and are affordable. Stan

WILLIAMS, STANLEY W.
CSM JBLM
"I SAY SHOOTEM FROM LONG RANGE"
Go to Top of Page

steve4102
Advanced Member

USA
924 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  08:56:20  Show Profile Send steve4102 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I have used only Nosler BT’s & Sierra MK’s because I have read & heard from others that these are “best” for accuracy.

They are without a doubt very accurate bullets, but that doesn't mean that they will be the most accurate bullets in your rifle.

How about a little more info on your rifle and loads? Your accuracy problem my not the the brand of bullet. It could be the bullet weight, your choice of powder, your powder charge, your sizing technique, your seating depth etc.etc.
Go to Top of Page

skyline
Advanced Member

Canada
2807 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  09:08:56  Show Profile Send skyline a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is better to eat, elk or moose?

Let no good deed go unpunished.
Go to Top of Page

HGHunter
Advanced Member

USA
873 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  09:15:02  Show Profile Send HGHunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far my most accurate load in .30-06 has been with the Nosler Accubonds.

"I am not here to judge you, only God can judge you, I am here merely to arrange the meeting."

"A 9mm HP may expand upon impact, a .40 cal. HP may expand upon impact, but a .45 will never shrink"
Go to Top of Page

dmsbandit
Advanced Member

USA
1788 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  10:11:19  Show Profile  Send dmsbandit a Yahoo! Message Send dmsbandit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I haven't tried alot of newer bullets out there, I've always had good luck with Nosler Bullets. The BTs shoot well in more than one gun, and the older Solid Base bullets are the most accurate bullets in my 6.5x55 and my Marlin XL-7 '06. I've shot 2 different 1 hole groups with the 180 grain Solid Base bullets in the '06.

The Remington Accutip/ Hornady SST 165 grain bullets also shoot very well in the '06.

While I have shot more than a few Sierra bullets, the only gun that showed a great love for them was my Remington 700 Classic in 6.5x55. The Matchking bullets would shoot into 1 hole if I was lucky and the stars were aligned correctly. But they always shot well enough for my gun to win a few factory benchrest matches years ago.

Every gun is different, every cartridge is different. What may work for me, may not work for someone else. The best thing to do is try different bullets as you get a chance, and see what you end up with.

I don't drink or smoke, I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
Go to Top of Page

Ds28

USA
3276 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  10:17:38  Show Profile Send Ds28 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far in my 308 I have had good luck with the 168 AMAX and the 175 SMK

All Rifles are different, you may already have a good load that just needs some tweaking. What have you worked with so far?

Here are 2 different groups using 175 SMK's and varget in a Remington 5R

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Go to Top of Page

BISCUT

3481 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  11:32:10  Show Profile Send BISCUT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice groups DS>

Sonny, I would look toward buying a 500 round box of Sierra Match Kings for $140 or a box of 250 round A-Max for about 460. Best bang for your buck IMHO.

The A-max are really good. Only ones I found that aren not very accurate is the 100gr in 6.8spc. I have also heard great thingsd about the 208gr A-max but havent tried them myself.
Go to Top of Page

Kansas Ed
Advanced Member

USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  12:53:45  Show Profile  Visit Kansas Ed's Homepage Send Kansas Ed a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Used to be that you could buy "Berger Match Grade Varmint" Bullets off the shelf at Sportsmans Warehouse. My brothers 220 Swift liked those above all others, and it shot very well with Sierra's. I think the Bergers are an excellent bullet which falls somewhere slightly higher than the Noslers.

Ed

Are we there yet???
Go to Top of Page

archerross
Advanced Member

USA
596 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  16:19:47  Show Profile Send archerross a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The smallest 5 shot group I ever fired was with 140 gr Berger in 6.5 mm, followed closely by the 142 gr Sierra Match Kings (SMK). However, consistency is the name of the game for long distance shooting and the SMKs shot consistently smaller groups than the Berger's in my rifle. I would give the Berger 210 gr Match Target VLD and 208 gr A-max a shot in 0.308 cal.

There is plenty of room for all of God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes.
Go to Top of Page

Ds28

USA
3276 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  17:08:57  Show Profile Send Ds28 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BISCUT

Nice groups DS>

Sonny, I would look toward buying a 500 round box of Sierra Match Kings for $140 or a box of 250 round A-Max for about 460. Best bang for your buck IMHO.

The A-max are really good. Only ones I found that aren not very accurate is the 100gr in 6.8spc. I have also heard great thingsd about the 208gr A-max but havent tried them myself.

did you like my fancy high dollar targets? Just one more use for duct tape

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Go to Top of Page

baldhunter
Average Member

USA
97 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  17:58:22  Show Profile Send baldhunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been getting one ragged hole groups with the plain old 165gr Hornady SP out of my 300WSM with Reloader-22.I think the Hornadys shoot as good or better than anything I've shot.
Go to Top of Page

30-06Lapua
Average Member

United Kingdom
112 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  19:29:14  Show Profile Send 30-06Lapua a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lapua 155gr and 168gr

Outshoot anything else I have tried in both the AI and Remy 700 VS

168's are also good with 30-06

Accuracy International .308
Brno 30-06
Lee Enfield No 4 Mk1(T)
K98K Mauser
Remington 700 SPS .223
Marlin .22RF
Saiga Self Loading Assault Shotgun

Go to Top of Page

BISCUT

3481 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  19:56:06  Show Profile Send BISCUT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
30-06 Lapua, are you talking about a 30-06AI?
Go to Top of Page

sonnyboy

USA
353 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  06:33:45  Show Profile Send sonnyboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry about taking so long in replying. I had to have some tests run by my doctor over a 2 day period.

My rifle is a Savage 110 Tact. 24in bbl. Chambered in the .30-06 Springfield. With SMK or NBT’s 168gr and 55.5gr of Reloder-17 I have shot 3/8” gps only twice. I have shot ½” gps several times and the others are usually around 1” or slightly under. I know, courtesy of the military, how to obtain proper sight picture, breath control, trigger squeeeeeeeze, and run a bore patch through every few gps or so.

I sometimes can stack 3 or 4 rounds on top of each other and then the last one, with all the afore mentioned techniques being used, will be ½” or so from the rest of the group. This is what causes my BP to rise several points and I am not fit to be around man or animal for a while. It is madding!!!

Happy Shooting
Sonnyboy
Go to Top of Page

ethmoid1999
Advanced Member

USA
3569 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  09:01:49  Show Profile Send ethmoid1999 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sonnyboy,
I have had very good results with many bullets in my Rem 700 5R 308. One that has always been among the best is the 165 grain Sierra BTHP. It is a hunting bullet! I keep some of those loaded with Varget and they are the one to beat when I am testing loads. I have had a few better groups with others but I always admire the old Sierra 165 BTHP. Mike
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06