Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 416 Ruger Range Report
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hog boy

234 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  17:42:21  Show Profile Send hog boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked up my 416 Ruger last night. It is a Ruger Model 77 Hawkeye Alaskan. It sports a Hogue Overmold stock, and a 20 inch matte stainless steel barrel. I mounted a Leupold VX-III, 2.5x8x36 on top. All said and done, this set up comes in weighing just under nine pounds. It is a fine looking firearm.

I loaded up 20 rounds of ammunition for range testing. The powders I had on hand to choose from were W-748, W-760, and Reloder 15. I went with the 748 simply because I have never used it before, and being that it is a ball powder, it meters real well. My bullet of choice was the 400 grain Swift A-Frame. I used new Hornady cases and Federal 215 primers. I seated to an OAL of 3.005Ē and used a slight taper crimp. I loaded 5 rounds at 73 grains, and 3 each increasing in half grain increments to 75.5 grains. The load data I received from Hornady lists a max of 75.3 grains with a velocity of 2250 fps.

My findings are as follows. Velocity did not increase as much as I thought it would by stepping up in half grain increments. For example, the five rounds with a 73 grain powder charge chronied at an average of 2197 fps, and the rounds that were carrying the 75.5 grain charge ran 2269 fps. I noticed no pressure signs whatsoever, even at the listed max load. The gun did have some slight feeding problems. I donít know if this is due to the fact that I didnít resize the cases before I loaded or if it is a problem with the gun itself. Extraction and ejection was flawless. Some of the cases did have some scratches running lengthwise down the case wall. The groups tightened up as velocity increased. The 75 and 75.5 grain loads measured just under two inches.

My shoulder is extremely sore right now. Towards the end of my shooting, I twice flinched before I even started squeezing the trigger. I reset and was able to make good shots. Good posture is a must when shooting a caliber like the .416 Ruger in a gun that is under nine pounds. I did recover one bullet from the backstop and it weighed 349.6 grains for an 87.4% weight retention. It was mushroomed beautifully with a maximum frontal diameter of .890 inches.

I will keep going upwards from 75.5 grains, in one grain increments this time, until I find the maximum load for this gun. My hope is to get somewhere near 2400 fps with acceptable accuracy.

"The government is best which governs the least"

WACKMASTER
Average Member

USA
80 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  18:52:00  Show Profile Send WACKMASTER a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have had some feeding problems with ultra cases in rugers. take the box out and round the edges of the box. The edges that are next to the feed ramp. That should clear up the rough feeding and the scratches.
Go to Top of Page

hog boy

234 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  20:17:24  Show Profile Send hog boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wackmaster, I wish I would have known that last night! I was about ready to cut the gun in half before I had even fired it. I thought at first that it was an OAL issue, or possibly a very tight chamber. Not having any SAAMI specs for OAL, I didn't know what to think.

I now know that it was the rail causing the hang-ups. I ruined a couple pieces of brass smoothing them out, but it should get better as I fire more rounds, I guess.

Go to Top of Page

BISCUT

3481 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  20:24:12  Show Profile Send BISCUT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to sound ignorant but is the cal 416 Rigby in a Ruger of is it a 416 Ruger? I bet you are certainly sore! That's a lot of umph hiting your shoulder!
Go to Top of Page

hog boy

234 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  20:33:56  Show Profile Send hog boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Biscut, it is definitely Ruger, chambered in 416 Ruger. Rather than being a Ruger chambered in 416 Rigby. I wish I had a Ruger chambered in 416 Rigby.

Go to Top of Page

ethmoid1999
Advanced Member

USA
3573 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  20:51:42  Show Profile Send ethmoid1999 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hog Boy,
I have learned when shooting a "thumper" shoot from an elevated bench where you can stand up! You can rock with the recoil and it sure makes the kickers more pleasant. I built a setup to use but most ranges only have benches. I set up two telephone poles with steel things where I could position two 2X12 boards at the height I wanted. I am short and set the rig for me but it would be easy to set racks at variable heights. My old rig was destroyed when we built some new fences but I've been hoping to build a new one. After all, if you are after big bears or lions or African buffalo....you most likely will shoot standing up. Just my 2 cents.
Mike
Go to Top of Page

BISCUT

3481 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  06:31:32  Show Profile Send BISCUT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read Chuck Hawks page on it...Very interesting. And the brass price is no worse than 450Marlin. Sounds good to go. From what I read it looks like the 400gr at 2400fps is very well proven.
Go to Top of Page

hog boy

234 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  09:29:24  Show Profile Send hog boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did some more shooting with the 416 Ruger on Sunday. When I reached 78.5 grains of W748, the bolt did seem a little sticky, although the primers were fine and case head expansion was minimal. The velocity was an average of 2365 fps, equating to 4967 ft/lbs of energy with a 400 grain A-Frame. Not bad for a 20 inch barrel.

I think I will load some more at this charge and do a little more rigorous accuracy testing before I settle on this load.

This would be a tough load to beat for big Alaskan browns and moose. Now, if I can only quit buying guns for a while and put some money away for that trip!!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06