Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Rifle Reloading
 Big game loads
 Promising RL 17 8X57 JS load
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Meaghercamp
Advanced Member

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  22:27:38  Show Profile Send Meaghercamp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Promising 8 x 57 JS Mauser load:

1937 Mod 98, 24" bbl

RL 17, 55.0gr Slightly compressed.( Worked up slowly from 50.0gr )

Speer 200gr Hot Core Spitzer

Win brass

Fed 210 primers.

Lee Factory Crimp. COL 79.0mm

Do not know the velocity yet, have not chronographed it. BUT this load has shot a very consistant 1.5" group at 100yds several times now with iron sights and the origional military trigger. Absolutely no pressure signs, yet the POI is the same as the 170gr loads I have. POI is two inches higher at 100yds than the same bullet with 54.0gr of IMR 4350.

More testing to, but I thought I'd pass this on.

My 308 Win 180gr loads with RL-17...not so hot. Oh well, may not be too well suited to a 18.5 inch bbl?

It's all about Action and Adventure! Go out and get some!

Timberline
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  00:09:15  Show Profile Send Timberline a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Meaghercamp - As a fellow fan of the 8mm Mauser, it would be great to hear what kind of velocity you get out of that load. Sounds promising.
Go to Top of Page

Dom

Germany
2001 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  01:17:47  Show Profile Send Dom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Meaghercamp, what diameter bullets do you use? Are .318 readily available in the states? I have an older model also. Good to hear you've got a good load, I'd be interested in what it Chrono's also, good luck and Waidmannsheil, Dom.
Go to Top of Page

eric2381
Advanced Member

Canada
2016 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  11:39:19  Show Profile Send eric2381 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All this talk about RL17. Is the burn rate similar to IMR 4350? I load my 8x57 with 195gr Hornady IL and 53gr of IMR 4350. I haven't chronied it or really shot it much, but it does shoot good. A buddy is coming out this year for his first time deer hunting. He's going to use this rifle and load for mulies. It'll work like a charm I'm sure.

I haven't chronied my rifle. I would be very interested in hearing what you are getting for speed with RL17.

I've never saw a hearse with a luggage rack....
Go to Top of Page

Meaghercamp
Advanced Member

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2009 :  19:28:58  Show Profile Send Meaghercamp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, Free Time has been at a premium. I have not been able to chrony this load as of yet, but it is printing at the same POI as the 170gr load I have. Accuracy has been very consistant with the Speer 200gr HC.

Dom, My Mauser is of 7.9mm bore, so I have been shooting .323 dia bullets. Yes, the .318s are a little hard to come by outside of mail order.

Eric2381, The Alliant site does report a similar burn speed to IMR 4350. I get slightly flattened primers with 54.0 IMR 4350 and the same 200gr Speer HC. Primers are still nice and rounded at 55.0 with RL-17. First I have to load some more up(I shot them all) and I hope to chrony them this comming week.

Go to Top of Page

eric2381
Advanced Member

Canada
2016 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  22:23:56  Show Profile Send eric2381 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you had a chance to chrony your load yet?
I chronied the load I've been using in my 8mm. 53gr. IMR4350, CCI250, Rem. brass, 195gr. Hornady IL. I was getting 2450fps from my 20" barrel.

As a side I worked with my 35 Whelen with the 250gr. bullets and RL17. I am getting 2750fps.

The RL17 is different. My primers were getting a bit flat, but the bolt lift was easy. Primer pockets stay tight. Case heads measure out the same to a brand new case.

I'm gonna have to try the RL17 in my 8mm this winter, after hunting season.

Go to Top of Page

WILLIAMDOERSAM

USA
1513 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  00:14:43  Show Profile Send WILLIAMDOERSAM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eric2381

Have you had a chance to chrony your load yet?
I chronied the load I've been using in my 8mm. 53gr. IMR4350, CCI250, Rem. brass, 195gr. Hornady IL. I was getting 2450fps from my 20" barrel.

As a side I worked with my 35 Whelen with the 250gr. bullets and RL17. I am getting 2750fps.

The RL17 is different. My primers were getting a bit flat, but the bolt lift was easy. Primer pockets stay tight. Case heads measure out the same to a brand new case.

I'm gonna have to try the RL17 in my 8mm this winter, after hunting season.

Holy smoke Batman, 2750 in a Whelen with 250's is smokin'. Thats all I could get out of my Whelen with 225's.

I got to git some RL-17.

Thanx for the info Eric.

Best wishes, Bill
Go to Top of Page

eric2381
Advanced Member

Canada
2016 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  00:59:53  Show Profile Send eric2381 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was really surprised at the results I'm getting. I am shooting the round nose Hornady.

I have read quite a few people that are Whelen fans say they get high speeds with RL15. With 57gr. RL15 I was getting 2450fps.

Bill, I didn't really have any reloading data to come up with this load. I worked up from 55gr. with the basis that RL17 has the same burn rate as 4350. The load I ended up with is compressed. I'm shooting a 22" barrel as well. They were grouping very well for me too.

Go to Top of Page

WILLIAMDOERSAM

USA
1513 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  02:11:38  Show Profile Send WILLIAMDOERSAM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eric2381

I was really surprised at the results I'm getting. I am shooting the round nose Hornady.

I have read quite a few people that are Whelen fans say they get high speeds with RL15. With 57gr. RL15 I was getting 2450fps.

Bill, I didn't really have any reloading data to come up with this load. I worked up from 55gr. with the basis that RL17 has the same burn rate as 4350. The load I ended up with is compressed. I'm shooting a 22" barrel as well. They were grouping very well for me too.

Eric

I was using 59.5 grs of RL-15 and the bullet squeaked when I put it in the case.

I put more powder in the case but velocity never raised. It was a diminishing return.

I was using 225 Nosler BT's but I only have 20 left as Nosler quit producing that bullet. Rats.

When I can shoot again I'm going to try some different bullets.

What kind of range are you shooting those RN's at? And how do they perform on game. That rifle ought to be great for Moose. Thats almost or maybe better than 338 WM preformance.

Best wishes, Bill
Go to Top of Page

eric2381
Advanced Member

Canada
2016 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  08:55:47  Show Profile Send eric2381 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bill,

Nosler makes a 225gr. Accubond. I worked up a load with 225gr. Sierra GK with RL15. They shot very well. My charge with RL15 was slightly higher than your load. 61gr. I never chronied them at all, but they did shoot small groups with my rifle.

I wanted something that was heavier and of tougher construction for a bear hunt coming up in the spring. That's why I went to the Hornady. I haven't killed anything with the rifle yet. I am going to shoot a few deer with it this fall yet before I haul it up north with me.

I was happy to see the results I'm getting. They are truly running right with the 338 WM, like you are saying. I'd like to see what this powder would do in a 338 WM though.....

I can't wait to see some new reloading manuals with data for this powder. I've been working in the dark with this load and would hope that anybody that tries the same to work up slowly and carefully.

Go to Top of Page

WILLIAMDOERSAM

USA
1513 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  12:04:57  Show Profile Send WILLIAMDOERSAM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric

My Whelen had bad Karma.

Every time I took it out of the case every deer within 5 counties would would evacuate the area never to be seen again.

One year I got so frustrated I shot a coyote with it. Tore the little booger right in half. I felt like a schnook.

My Whelen is built on a '03 Springfield and has a K-6 Weaver scope. When I get the OK to shoot again I'll try those Accubonds. From all I've heard and read they are a great bullet.

I did finnaly get a deer with the Whelen, a doe and it was a bang flop. So not much to compare it to.

Meaghercamp, didn't mean to hijack your thread, my apoligies. Maybe the Rl-17 is just a tad slow for the 308.

I loaded some Ramshot Big Game for my 308 F Class rifle before I got sick but never got to test them. Big Game is very close to RL-15 in burn rate and a ball powder. I shoot MK's, 168 grs. with RL-15.

It shot 6 and 3/4 inch group @ 1k. Not bad for a 70+ year old guy with Glaucoma and the shakes.

Shooting 1.5" groups with irons you have bigger than I do. Thats great performance.

Best wishes, Bill
Go to Top of Page

Meaghercamp
Advanced Member

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2009 :  21:33:25  Show Profile Send Meaghercamp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No Problem! Good info there. No I still have not been able to chrono the load yet. Rain, Rain, Rain.

Bill, the 1.5" are off a bench. I have never shot at any distance over 300m. I sincerly doubt I could get near a 6 3/4" group at 1K. Wow.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06