Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Hunting
 Bullet performance
 Berger VLD hunting bullet performance
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mjc2564

11 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2009 :  20:25:26  Show Profile Send mjc2564 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I shoot a Lazzeroni .308 Warbird. My recent bullets I reloaded for hunting were 190 grain VLD bullets. I recieved great grouping at 1/2 of an inch. Only problem was shooting at deer size game at under 100 yards.I shot at a mule deer at 100 yards or less off the box of my truck, braudside shot. This shot went though with 0 expansion and the deer kept walking. I have never had a game animal walk away.

archerross
Advanced Member

USA
596 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2009 :  23:24:35  Show Profile Send archerross a Private Message  Reply with Quote
mjc,

This is more than a bit surprising to me. I did an expansion test on 140 gr "target" VLDs in my 6.5-284 this summer. The target VLD passed through a 20 oz soda bottle full of water, a 2x4, a 1 gallon milk jug full of water, and stopped on the backside of a second milk jug full of water. There wasn't much left of that bullet. Are you shooting the "target" VLDs or the "hunting" VLDs? According to Walt Berger, the target VLD has a thicker jacket than the hunting VLD and has not been tested as hunting bullet like the hunting VLD has.

There is plenty of room for all of God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes.
Go to Top of Page

fishstan2
Advanced Member

USA
2300 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  02:21:18  Show Profile  Send fishstan2 a Yahoo! Message Send fishstan2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mjc, I would also have to guess, but what was your Velocity as I would have to say around the 3,400 fps+ and a bit less at 100 yards. I too own a Warbird, love mine but we have be picky on what bullet we shoot and what distance. You would have to figure if it did not hit bone the bullet just penciled thru. I hope this helps. Stan

WILLIAMS, STANLEY W.
CSM JBLM
"I SAY SHOOTEM FROM LONG RANGE"

Edited by - fishstan2 on Nov 12 2009 02:22:38
Go to Top of Page

txhunter77

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  15:33:23  Show Profile Send txhunter77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mjc2564

I shoot a Lazzeroni .308 Warbird. My recent bullets I reloaded for hunting were 190 grain VLD bullets. I recieved great grouping at 1/2 of an inch. Only problem was shooting at deer size game at under 100 yards.I shot at a mule deer at 100 yards or less off the box of my truck, braudside shot. This shot went though with 0 expansion and the deer kept walking. I have never had a game animal walk away.

I must ask, did you retrive the animal? If not, then I'd say you missed flat out.

I've shot quite a few deer with sierra MK's and a few with berger VLDs, and not once have I had a bullet fail to expand. Impact velocities were between 3750fps and 2700fps. Hitting bone doesn't come into play at those velocities. I've even managed to put a bullet between the ribs on the entrance and barely hit one on the way out, except for the 2.5" diameter hole through both lungs and 1.5" diameter exit hole, it looked like there was was no expansion.

Edited by - txhunter77 on Nov 12 2009 19:08:42
Go to Top of Page

mjc2564

11 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  22:44:43  Show Profile Send mjc2564 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have never missed an animal in my life, ever.
quote:
Originally posted by txhunter77

quote:
Originally posted by mjc2564

I must ask, did you retrive the animal? If not, then I'd say you missed flat out.

I've shot quite a few deer with sierra MK's and a few with berger VLDs, and not once have I had a bullet fail to expand. Impact velocities were between 3750fps and 2700fps. Hitting bone doesn't come into play at those velocities. I've even managed to put a bullet between the ribs on the entrance and barely hit one on the way out, except for the 2.5" diameter hole through both lungs and 1.5" diameter exit hole, it looked like there was was no expansion.

Go to Top of Page

mjc2564

11 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  22:48:02  Show Profile Send mjc2564 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found out that the bullets I were sold were the yellow box made for target.I asked for hunting bullets which I now know come in a blaze orange box
quote:
Originally posted by archerross

mjc,

This is more than a bit surprising to me. I did an expansion test on 140 gr "target" VLDs in my 6.5-284 this summer. The target VLD passed through a 20 oz soda bottle full of water, a 2x4, a 1 gallon milk jug full of water, and stopped on the backside of a second milk jug full of water. There wasn't much left of that bullet. Are you shooting the "target" VLDs or the "hunting" VLDs? According to Walt Berger, the target VLD has a thicker jacket than the hunting VLD and has not been tested as hunting bullet like the hunting VLD has.

Go to Top of Page

fishstan2
Advanced Member

USA
2300 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2009 :  08:27:19  Show Profile  Send fishstan2 a Yahoo! Message Send fishstan2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MJC, glad you figured it out. I would say it penciled thru. I bet that deer took a min to figure out it had been even hit. Stan

WILLIAMS, STANLEY W.
CSM JBLM
Go to Top of Page

txhunter77

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2009 :  22:19:21  Show Profile Send txhunter77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by mjc2564

I have never missed an animal in my life, ever.[quote]

My appologies then, I didn't know you've never missed.

[quote][i]Originally posted by mjc2564

I shot at a mule deer at 100 yards.[quote][i]

Just that your statement says "shot at a mule deer" and not "I shot a mule deer", so you left the door open to the possibility that you missed.

So, we then assume that you did retrieve the animal. Because hypothetically speaking, if you didn't retrieve the animal and there was no blood trail, then there would be no real certainty that the animal had been hit. Hypothetically speaking that is.

As far as the Berger hunting bullets coming in Blaze orange boxes, well that would be news to me. All the berger bullets I've ever seen have been packaged in the yellow box, the only difference being the label. The label should state "Target" or "Hunting".

Edited by - txhunter77 on Nov 14 2009 22:21:21
Go to Top of Page

archerross
Advanced Member

USA
596 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2009 :  17:18:10  Show Profile Send archerross a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The orange boxes are indeed the hunting bullet. Yellow boxes are the target bullets. Glad to hear you figured it out.

There is plenty of room for all of God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes.
Go to Top of Page

DocHolladay
Advanced Member

USA
1267 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  01:43:50  Show Profile Send DocHolladay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My yellow Berger box says, "Excellent for Target Shooting, Recommended for Game Hunting".

98% of us will die at some point in our lives.- Ricky Bobby, Talledega Nights
Go to Top of Page

Matthew222

USA
360 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  08:01:28  Show Profile Send Matthew222 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Orange box - big yellow lable. Th target/varment bullets are yellow-yellow
These were bought in th last year, maybe they changed things?

Matt

Behold the rain which
descends from heaven upon our vineyards; there it enters the roots of
the vines, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves
us, and loves to see us happy. Ben Franklin
Go to Top of Page

DocHolladay
Advanced Member

USA
1267 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  09:11:13  Show Profile Send DocHolladay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My 2 boxes are yellow and have the same label as what you have on the left. One box was bought late 2008, the other was bought in about June 2009.... both from Midway.

98% of us will die at some point in our lives.- Ricky Bobby, Talledega Nights

Edited by - DocHolladay on Nov 20 2009 09:13:20
Go to Top of Page

archerross
Advanced Member

USA
596 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  11:08:10  Show Profile Send archerross a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe it is caliber specific? In 6.5 mm, orange box with yellow label are hunting bullets and yellow box with yellow label are target bullets. Maybe they are switching to a different standard color coding? I guess the best way to know what you have is to read the label and ignore the box color.

Go to Top of Page

Matthew222

USA
360 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  12:35:57  Show Profile Send Matthew222 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I guess the best way to know what you have is to read the label and ignore the box color

Yup.

Th Great Box Color Debate of '09

Matt

Behold the rain which
descends from heaven upon our vineyards; there it enters the roots of
the vines, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves
us, and loves to see us happy. Ben Franklin
Go to Top of Page

mjc2564

11 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2009 :  01:37:57  Show Profile Send mjc2564 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I contacted the berger bullet sales rep. he said that if you are using berger VLD for hunting make sure they come in a blaze orange box. These bullets are thinner walled.
Go to Top of Page

fishstan2
Advanced Member

USA
2300 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2009 :  03:26:07  Show Profile  Send fishstan2 a Yahoo! Message Send fishstan2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, sounds like good information for all. I also like the part where it was stated, "Read before you Buy"!!!!!. Great advice. Stan

WILLIAMS, STANLEY W.
CSM JBLM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06