Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Rifle Reloading
 Single Shot Rifle
 reloading for the Brown 97d rifle
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

roysclockgun
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2009 :  22:17:36  Show Profile Send roysclockgun a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For years I have been hunting exclusively with my Browning B78 in 7mmRemMag, and have wanted a single shot more for just having fun at the range. The E.Brown 97d fascinated me, so I ordered the rifle in 6mm BRM. The case is a necked down, blown out 30-30 case. I bought the minimum 100 cases from Brown, because I was not certain how tough it would be to create the 6mm BRM case from my once fired 30-30 cases. Turns out that the job, while time consuming, is not hard at all. I am retired so time I spend at my bench is now fun! First off, I prepped 20 of Brown's already formed brass, by getting the length uniform, putting a chamfer on the mouths and dressing up the flash hole, inside the case. I cleaned the bore after each round to break in, and the rifle still shot clovers at 100 yards, off the bench, at 100 yards.
Now to make my own 6mm BRM brass. I full length sized the 30-30 cases through a 7-30 Waters die. Then again, through the 6mm BRM die, followed by trimming all back to the length as were the cases delivered from Brown. I made 20 each, from four different brands of case: Remington, as it appears Brown uses, Frontier, FC and Winchester. The most difficult brand to keep from crushing, was Remington. The others stepped down fine. After sizing and inserting Winchester Large Rifle primers, I loaded with 32gr. of IMR4895 and topped off with 70gr. Speer TNT bullets, seated .005" off the lands. This load blew out the forward end of the case very nicely and I could not tell the difference between Brown's fired cases and the ones that I had necked down. The only two loads that I have tried have been 32gr. and 33gr. of IMR4895. The 32gr. load fired slightly tighter groups. I shall try more loads and report.
If anyone can share more load data for this 6mm BRM cartridge, I would appreciate hearing from you.
Best,
Steven A.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06