Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 Load request
 .270 win loads with H4895 150gr.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SamT

393 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  13:49:50  Show Profile Send SamT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey guys I'm new here to the forum. I have been reloading shotshells for a long time, but begain loading cartriges when I bought a Ruger Superredhawk in .480 ruger and realized I could pay for the basic introductory loading equipment in a little over 100 rounds. So I have been reloading cartriges for only almost a year now. I try to keep my powder requirements to a minimum by loading the same powder in all of my rifles H4895.

I just got dies for my .270 and my hodgdon pamphlet and their website show no loading data for H4895 and 150gr bullets. Anyone have a suggestion. I was thinking I could start with 40 grains, but want to be sure. Gun is a Rem 700 unmodified except for the trigger. bullets will be for general hunting, Deer mostly , but possibly a pig or 2. I have cci LR primers, rem and win brass, bullets are barnes TSX 150GR.

Thanks in advance guys!

Also anyone have a good .270 load for target and/or prarie dogs that pretty cheap, but will reach out.

bob270
Advanced Member

Canada
651 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  14:38:39  Show Profile Send bob270 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
samt,Never tried H4895 in my 270.For the 150gr bullet i use IMR4831,56grs,CCI200,Win brass.
that load works well for me in my Mod70.
Got some RL22 i still have to try as well

H4831 works good as well along with a couple others.

P.S. welcome

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

2559 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  14:57:42  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sam T

Use your H4895 powder for Varmit loads. Sierra 90 grain Hollow Point start at 46 grains and work up to a Max load at 50.0 grains. This powder burns way too fast for a long heavy bullet like the Barnes TSX 150 grain that you mentioned.

H4831SC is an optimum choice for the Barnes TSX 150 grain Bullet. Start around 52 grains with a Max load around 56.0 grains. This should get you started.

Get a "Chrony" and record the speed of your Reloads and compare them to Factory loads.

Let us know your progress,

Bobo 7mm Mag
Go to Top of Page

SamT

393 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  18:46:10  Show Profile Send SamT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys thats the kind of info I wanted, any more is appreciated!
Go to Top of Page

Smoke48

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  13:14:19  Show Profile Send Smoke48 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wait a minute now. I am by no means an expert in reloading, I have been doing it for quite a while now though. What would be wrong with the H4895 with the 150GR TSX? I use 51GR of H4895 with a 150GR TSX for my 30-06. I get 1" groups at 200yds. It is a TC Venture love the rifle, but the point is the diameter of the bullet is all that is changed, what is wrong with not trying the H4895 with the 150GR TSX for the .270? I have a couple .270 Win I will have to experiment with that load and get back to you with some data.

I do agree with Bobo 7mm Mag, H4831sc is the optimum and preferred choice, but we reload to experiment, after all that is half the fun:) Play around a little bit and let us know how things go. I will post my results as well. If I can ever get to the range. Live in NE, expecting another snow storm Wed, into Thur. Temperatures in the single digits during the day, -15 at night. I will spend some time preparing loads, then when we get some good weather hit the range. Take Care

Hooah! May the 2nd Amendment Guide Our Lives, that our Forefathers fought for and died for.

Gun Owners Of America
We don't compromise, You shouldn't either!

If Gun's Kill People, then....
- Pencils miss spel words!
- Cars make people drive drunk!
- Spoons made Rosie O'Donnell FAT!!!
Go to Top of Page

Paul B
Advanced Member

3293 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  13:56:11  Show Profile Send Paul B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, first what 150 gr. bullet? Frankly, while either 495 will push a 150 gr. bullet out the muzzle of a .270, it's not the best powder for the job. It's light putting regular unleaded gas into a full race Corvette. it'll run but not very well. The .270 needs a slower burning powder to realize it's full potential. I can't give you my load for the 150 gr. bullet because the powder no longer is being made or sold. Let's just say that I get 2950 FPS with no problem.

The only Manual I have that shows data for 4895 is a Sierra.
Start is 40.7 gr. for 2500 FPS and the max load is 44.9 gr. for 2700 FPS Compare that with data for 7 different powders that give a max velocity of 2900 FPS.
Paul B.
Go to Top of Page

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

2559 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  14:34:10  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Smoke48

Did not mean to offend you or anyone else.

You are right. H4895 "can" be used. SamT mentioned that he was going to use this with the TSX 150 grain bullet. This is an all copper bullet that is about 20% longer than Rem/ Win or Speer cup and lead core bullet. This is the hardest bullet to push down any .270 win barrel. He previously stated the he was going to make Varmit loads anyway.

The Hodgdon H4831SC powder that I suggested helps in two ways.

First: It gives him more margin for error. Equal velocity loads H4831SC will run at slightly less pressure.

Second: There will be less air space in his loads and therefore less chance for hang fire loads common to other threads/ topics on this and other web sites.

SamT also mentioned that he was new to Rifle Reloading. We are talking about Cartridges with Max Safe pressures of 65,000 PSI here. Over loads of well over 100,000 PSI. This is enough to sugically remove your head.

Overloads and blown up guns give Reloading a bad rap.

I have been a long time subscriber of "Shooting Times", "Handloader" and Handerloader Digest. I have seen several pictures and discriptions of blown up guns due to the above. They never show pictures of the person that pulled the trigger. The verbal desciption is usually that "he looked like he was in a Head-on car accident". Parts of the gun where found as far as 200' away. Some of the parts were never found.

Many people refer to loading Data as "Cook Book Receipes". We are not cooking hamburgers here. We are not talking about burning your trigger finger. 200,000 PSI can cut any piece of metal on the face of this Planet. It can permanantly harm or kill you or anyone around when you pull the trigger.

Moderators free free to comment on this topic please!!!

Sincerely,

Bobo 7mm Mag
Go to Top of Page

lost-leader
Advanced Member

USA
1506 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  15:48:45  Show Profile Send lost-leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Squeak, squeak, the little mouse in the corner, asks, what's wrong with IMR-4350??
Go to Top of Page

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

2559 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  18:03:33  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SamT & Smoke48

Don't want to beat a topic to death. Buttttt!!!!!

"Shooting Times" November, 2009, Magazine pages 18 through 23 show a brand new "Ruger .44 Magnum Blackhawk" blown to bits by a young man who's father "just got him into reloading" a couple of months ago. He was using a powder that in my opinion was TOO fast for a beginning reloader to be using. He thought he was loading 10.8 grains of Titegroup and a 200 gr Hornady XTP bullet. The strong Ruger Revolver blew up on the first round. Four rounds where still in one piece. His dad took them apart and weighed the powder charges in them. They all weighed 18.0 grains. Since this was 7.2 grains over max the gun blew apart. This is not quite a "Double Charge" but actually less, with a strong revolver. His dad took part of the blame. Neither one would let there names be mentioned.

These articles don't make headline news any more than "DWI" accidents make TV commercials during the Superbowl.

SamT stated that he "just started loading Rifle rounds". H4895 leaves a lot of empty space left to accidently over fill with powder much like the young man above did and still seat a bullet. For this reason I suggusted Hodgdon H4831SC as there is very little room left to over charge with this powder. For this reason any new reloader I give similar suggustions to for safety reasons.

My computer skills do not allow me to post pictures.

Moderators please help!!!. Maybe you can post these pictures as well as other incidents to drive home this point.

Be CAREFUL. You can only die once.

Bobo 7mm Mag
Go to Top of Page

SamT

393 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  21:19:43  Show Profile Send SamT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not concerned about double charging or over charging, I check my stuff, I charge a round,and seat the bullet. I'm not "mass producting" bullets like some folks are. I'm just concerned about getting everything setup right the first time, case length, appropriate starter load, correct bullet, and most of all being efficient. If I can't pencil it out cheaper than I can go to the store and buy remington coke-lokt I'm not doing it.
So to me using 45 grains of powder is better than using 60 assuming they cost the same/lb and produce the same velocity.

I have loaded between 500 and 600 rounds of rifle (mostly 30-30 and .45-70) and pistol ammo. so far all I have used for rifle is H4895 and for my .480ruger I use H110. For some reason I feel I need to be more carefull with the .270 as its significantly more pressure. I load shotgun for pretty much my entire family,but a monkey can do that without blowing anything up. back when I was in high school I accidently used a 36 MEC powder bushing instead of a 26 loading WSF, after the first couple shots blowing powder out the barrel I knew something was up, It looked like i was shooting a muzzleloader. that was a good lesson in being carefull.

Next time I "go to town" I'll get the book out and pick one of the powders you guys have suggested
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06