Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 Load request
 SKS 7.62x39 H4895 and sierra 150gr
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SamT

397 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2010 :  13:13:50  Show Profile Send SamT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey guys I have been working up a load for my SKS, the data hodgdon post says a max of 28gr 4895 with a .312 hornady bullet, I'm loading the 150gr sierra pro hunter in .311, I have worked up to 28gr with no pressure signs and the load seems mild still, how much more would you push it?

SamT

397 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2010 :  13:40:13  Show Profile Send SamT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thats H4895. CCI200 primer Privi brass chinese matching# SKS
Go to Top of Page

Evad
Advanced Member

USA
1322 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2010 :  18:30:59  Show Profile Send Evad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you could go a little higher, but my book says 28 grains is compressed. Do you have room for more powder? The 28 grain load is only at 35370 psi, and some of the other loads listed go to 44900 psi.
Hope this helps,
Dave

I never met a gun I didn't like.
Go to Top of Page

SamT

397 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2010 :  15:10:17  Show Profile Send SamT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evad

I think you could go a little higher, but my book says 28 grains is compressed. Do you have room for more powder? The 28 grain load is only at 35370 psi, and some of the other loads listed go to 44900 psi.
Hope this helps,
Dave

Yea, It is compressed, I checked my head space and was able to give it all that my magazine would allow, but accuracy is not so bueno, so i went back to 28 and loaded 100. I think next time I'll load the 125's instead.
Go to Top of Page

SamT

397 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  09:46:52  Show Profile Send SamT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I guess I should give a range report on these as much as I hate to,

28gr H4895
150 gr .311 sierra pro-hunter
privi brass CCI200 primer
chinese SKS open sights

Tests were done at 50 yards (iron sights) Test block was a 24"x24" piece of mesquite wood. I shot the split the wood to get the bullets out. I took some wolf 125 gr hollow points for a control test.

I shot the wolf first, it was 3 inch groups, then I shot my loads I had to raise the sight to 200yards marker to get them to center, but they shot in the same area as the wolf did. Next I split the wood, the wold JHPs would push lead out the point of the jacket, they looked like crap, the basically disintigrated, IMO a FMJ would get better kill on game such as a wild pig. The sierra pro hunters were still mostly intact, probably 90% weight retention (myscale only goes 100gr) the had a perfect little mushroom on the end, mushroom measures .455 diamater (.311 bullet)

I know not apples to apples with diffrent grain bullets, and my balistics material isn't perfect either, but i think the test does give an explanation for why factory ammo is diffrent prices, and diffrent bullets are diffrent prices.
Go to Top of Page

wilbar

Canada
464 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  10:02:29  Show Profile Send wilbar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sam, how does it shoot with FMJ's. Slow careful fire from a bench with my sks and norinco ammo gives me 1 1/2" at 50yds. I can't remember the last time it was cleaned. Remington or Federal used to make a hunting load but I havent seen it in a long time. Rate of twist could be against you with 150's as well. Have you tried a faster powder?
Good luck
Willy

Lord help me to pass up the shots I should not take, to make the shots I should, and give me the wisdom to know the difference.
Go to Top of Page

SamT

397 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  09:04:40  Show Profile Send SamT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The FMJs I have are Monarch and they shoot pretty descent, I believe last time I had them out they were around 3" at 100. The otherday I wasn't taking the most time lining up, but was doing OK. I haven't tried any other powder, mainly because my local gun shot rapes you on it. ( $45 for 1 lb of reloader 22 the other day, $8/100 magtech primers ) needless to say he has lost my business forever, I can order online and pay hazmat at that price, and order just 2 lbs of powder and come out ahead. The local gun show is in a couple weeks, i'll be on the prowl for some to try there.
Go to Top of Page

MR 8x57js

USA
38 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  11:49:24  Show Profile Send MR 8x57js a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sam
Ive been loading the 7.62x39 for about 5 years now and ive learned a few thing about it. It's a tapered case with that brings not alot of case volume. Also bullets above 123 grains take up alot of room in the case. Just from looking at the Hodgdon Manual you loose 95 FPS from a 123 Gr to the 150 Gr bullet with H4895. My Romainian AK-47 has produced some really tight groups useing the Winchester 123 Gr PSP and RL-7 & H335

Edited by - MR 8x57js on Feb 12 2010 11:51:34
Go to Top of Page

SamT

397 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  15:29:14  Show Profile Send SamT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MR 8x57js

Sam
Ive been loading the 7.62x39 for about 5 years now and ive learned a few thing about it. It's a tapered case with that brings not alot of case volume. Also bullets above 123 grains take up alot of room in the case. Just from looking at the Hodgdon Manual you loose 95 FPS from a 123 Gr to the 150 Gr bullet with H4895. My Romainian AK-47 has produced some really tight groups useing the Winchester 123 Gr PSP and RL-7 & H335

excellent to know, I just ordered some sierra pro-hunters in 125 grain and was planning on picking up some reloader7 or H 335
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06