Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Hunting
 Bullet performance
 55 grain V-Max
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mhiltz
Advanced Member

USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  11:29:14  Show Profile Send mhiltz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, wondering if anyone out there has had any good luck or bad luck with the 55 grain V-Max? I shoot them out of my Oly AR15, and load them 3100fps with Varget. I mostly shoot p dogs with them and find their performance to be that of a FMJ out to 200yds. Past 200 they seem to be very explosive.

I haven't had the opportunity to hit a coyote with them yet, but am very interested to see if they work better on something with more mass.

I've heard good things about Sierra varminters and recent purchased some, howevere, haven't loaded any yet.

"It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it" Captain Call Texas Ranger

aj3156

USA
480 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2010 :  11:19:28  Show Profile Send aj3156 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer the Nosler 55gr. ballistic tip. They seem to be quite a bit more explosive than the Hornady or the Sierra. I use them in .223 .22-250 and .243 with good results.
Go to Top of Page

purplehorn1977
Average Member

USA
97 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  11:16:02  Show Profile Send purplehorn1977 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use both the vmax and nosler BT's the hornady is made to withstand more speed than the noslers. i load the vmaxs in both 223 and 22-250 but the noslers are loaded for the AR as its slower. i load with 27.3 gr of varget in 223 behind the 55gr hornadys. and the ar loves them.
Go to Top of Page

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

2555 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  16:50:10  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
mhiltz

Don't see how a V-Max out of a .223 can be explosive past 200 yards but not under 200 yards when it is moving faster. Please explain how you came to this conclusion?????

Sincerely,

Bobo 7mm Mag
Go to Top of Page

mhiltz
Advanced Member

USA
645 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  23:08:32  Show Profile Send mhiltz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bobo 7mmmag

I have to shoot twice to kill on the shorter range prairie dogs, and have yet to open one up like ten2six's sage rat on a different thread. Even at longer distances they aren't as explosive as the "sage rat", but generally if I hit one I see it's fur fly apart, and the first shot does the job. I tell you, I don't understand it and that is why I posted this.

I have a theory, dealing with the mass of a prairie dog, at 3100fps mv,and at closer distances the V-max goes right through like a full metal jacket would. At longer distances with the same muzzle velocity the bullet tumbles instead of explodes. I would then think that the V-max is designed for much higher velocities to become explosive.

mhiltz

"It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it" Captain Call Texas Ranger

Go to Top of Page

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

2555 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  20:27:40  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
mhiltz

Sounds like an in-between velocity that's screwing things up. I have used the Sierra 40 Grain HP Varmiter over 23.0 grains of H4198 out of a 16 inch Ruger Compact and is explosive instintaneous death to Varmits.

Good loading and shootin,

Bobo 7mm Mag
Go to Top of Page

Okieron

USA
69 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2010 :  19:00:19  Show Profile Send Okieron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I shoot the V-Max's out of both the .223 and the 22-250, NO PROBLEMS AT ALL, they will turn a PD inside out - out to the effective range of the caliber, and my ability to hit them. . In the 22-250 I have shot several Coyotes and have not had them "Exit". And one poor dog got 3 of them, I just couldn't put him down, but all 3 of them never left an exit hole, he just kept going in circles and running, he is now a pelt in my reloading room . . didn't shoot him up all that bad for the amount of ammo he took... The other ones DRT !!!

Prairie Dogs, if you are an avid PD shooter, they do the job quite well - and the word explosive comes to mind in the description of it. I am also shooting Varget and H335 in the .223 with that bullet, both work well and - what is surprising to me is - nearly the same point of impact . .

The one thing that I change to at times, depending on how low my ammo is - I go to the 52 gr. Sierra HP and H335, that is a very explosive round for the prairie rats . . wow!!

Americans will die on their feet, before they will serve on their knees . . F. Scott Key
NRA Endowment Member
Go to Top of Page

Mountainmanbeast@yahoo.co
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  19:11:57  Show Profile Send Mountainmanbeast@yahoo.co a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 55 grain v-maxbullet is absolutely devestaing and accurate. I have had a lot of luck with it out of the 223 rem

Shoot Straight!
Go to Top of Page

mhiltz
Advanced Member

USA
645 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  22:19:33  Show Profile Send mhiltz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mountain man,

Welcome. I shot some jack rabbits the other day for coyote bait, and I used some of my V Max loads and some of my Sierra SP loads. I'M still having the same problem, VMax wounds. The Sierra would make very nice baits, gut piles and stuff. Maybe I got a bad batch of V Max bullets. Everyone says what you say about them. Tell me, if you don't mind, what is your load for a 55gr Vmax and the 223. I've heard 27.0 gr Varget I just haven't tried it yet. The Sierras @ 25.5 gr of Varget works great. By the way accuracy has never been the problem. I agree that the VMax is maybe the most accurate, just not so explosive.

mhiltz

Go to Top of Page

Mountainmanbeast@yahoo.co
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  21:50:02  Show Profile Send Mountainmanbeast@yahoo.co a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My load for my 223 rem LTR is 26 grains of W748 powder with a CCI 450 small rifle mag primer shooting around 3100 fps. I have a confirmed 509 yard squirrel kill with this setup. I really like the explosiveness i get with the V-max

Shoot Straight!
Go to Top of Page

mhiltz
Advanced Member

USA
645 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  23:03:01  Show Profile Send mhiltz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bobo7mmmag

mhiltz

Sounds like an in-between velocity that's screwing things up. I have used the Sierra 40 Grain HP Varmiter over 23.0 grains of H4198 out of a 16 inch Ruger Compact and is explosive instintaneous death to Varmits.

Good loading and shootin,

Bobo 7mm Mag

I just wanted to clear this up. I have recently purchased a Chrony and my 25.5gr of Varget out of my semi auto AR 15 with a 16 inch barrel is only pushing the V Max out @ 2650fps. I will totally agree with you on this Bobo. (some in between velocity) I will probably never be able to get a 55gr V Max up to 3100fps out of that particular AR 15.

Purplehorn77, I will try your load of 27.3gr of Varget and see what I come up with.

thanks,

mhiltz

Edited by - mhiltz on Feb 14 2011 23:07:34
Go to Top of Page

bigpower
Advanced Member

USA
596 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  22:42:58  Show Profile  Send bigpower a Yahoo! Message Send bigpower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the best accuracy out of my particular with the 60gr(1:9 twist) Vargets certainly my propellant of choice.
I load the 55's for a friends 22-250, he cant get enough of em. Woodchucks at 275yds, his description of the bullets performance would certainly require censorship. Big time fox and yote hunter, its always "Make me 50 more of dem"! Best dern off hand shooter I've ever met.

Yeah, I'm a "G" man...Girls, Guns and Guitars............
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06