Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Rifle Reloading
 Varmint loads
 5.56/.223 reloading data
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

crasher
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  12:10:08  Show Profile Send crasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know this is probably been discussed to death, but I can't find anything on this forum that really answers my questions so here I go. I finnaly found a company that might be able to supply me with all my reusable reloading supplies that I need. I'm not planning on hunting with this. This reload is just for my ar15 mainly just target prcaticing, training, and so on, and in the rare and hopefully will never happen situation of defending myself. So here are my questions to the reloaders of the 5.56 NATO casings on the board.

1. What type and brand of primers are you using? The only reloading data I have at the moment is the Hornady 7th edition handboook of Cartridge Reloading and they used a Remington 7 1/2 primer, and from that I can gather from Remington that particular primer is a small rifle magnum primer. Now all the stuff I'v ever been tough about reloading is never to use magnum primers on anything other than magnum loads. So am I wrong in thinking that the 5.56/.223 a magnum load? If it isn't then why is Hornady using a magnum primer?

2. What powder are you using? Hornady has about 5 different velocity data for different powders but I"m curious to what people are really using.

3. What kind of velocity and pressures are you getting? I know thats more of a technical question that most people don't have the equipment for but curious to see if anyone does have that information.

4. What are some of the demensions of a 5.56 case after its been reloaded. For example the Hornad book for .223 says the trimed case length should be 1.750" and the max case length should be 1.760" and the finnaly completely reloaded round the maximum case overall length about be no more that 2.260". I'm just curious if those demnsions apply to 5.56 does it have its own special demensions.

5 Lastly but probably most importantly what dies are you using? I have lee single state reloading press that I'm going to be using for reloading and I"m just curious as to what dies everone else is using.

Thanks again for any help and information
Gary

purplehorn1977
Average Member

USA
97 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  13:02:08  Show Profile Send purplehorn1977 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i also load for a AR I use lee full length dies in .223 and they chamber fine in my 5.56 AR use the loads in the hornady book they wont lead you wrong. I load either benchmark or varget or TAC in my 5.56 and 308's and both shoot very well. i am currnetly using CCI#41 primers for the AR
Go to Top of Page

ten2six
Advanced Member

USA
3569 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  13:14:35  Show Profile Send ten2six a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Gary,

Here goes.... #1. Some people prefer to have magnum or even the CCI #41 small rifle NATO primers because the cup material is heavier and more resistant to piercing. The 5.56 NATO is slightly hotter than the .223, so depending on your gun and it's firing pin, you may want to use what the recipe calls for.
#2. I don't have a favorite powder. I use Varget, Benchmark and Reloader 15...depending on what I've got.
#3. I've got a .223 AR-15. I use it for target and plinking mostly also, so bullets, velocity and loads vary. If you tell us your twist rate, barrel length and what bullets you're considering, I'm sure someone on the 'Nest will be able to steer you in a better direction.
#4. Look over the information on this site:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.223_Remington
#5. I use a single stage press (with a turret head). I use Redding dies because that's what I started out with.

Hope this information helps.

Stay safe...shoot staight. ten

"Chances are, when we meet intelligent life forms in outer space, they're going to be descended from predators."
- Michio Kaku
Go to Top of Page

coyoteklr
Advanced Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  13:30:17  Show Profile Send coyoteklr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use TAC 23.5 gr. behind 69 grain sierra matchking hpbt... use 24 gre. TAC behind 55 gr. v-max .... 1.675 col ... trim to 1.75... HSM brass on 69 gr.... LC on v-max 1.675 just clears my mags... 24" barrel and 1 in 8 twist

The first taste of Texas still lingers in my heart and on my tongue.

FASTER HORSES

Go to Top of Page

Evad
Advanced Member

USA
1322 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  20:59:28  Show Profile Send Evad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't load for an AR, but my main powder for the .223 rem is Hodgdon H335, it has been a very accurate powder for any .223 that I have tried it in.
Dave

I never met a gun I didn't like.
Go to Top of Page

crasher
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  10:40:16  Show Profile Send crasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
16" barrel 1/7 twist

I was planning on using 55 grain FMJ bullets.

And one last question about over all case length. Since the 5.56 sholder is slightly longer than the sholder length of a .223 case does that effect the over all case length in any way or how much the bullet has to be set inside a 5.56 case.

thanks again
Gary
Go to Top of Page

coyoteklr
Advanced Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  11:12:34  Show Profile Send coyoteklr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the two things that will have to be checked is trim length and col... the first to chamber right and the second to fit your mags

The first taste of Texas still lingers in my heart and on my tongue.

FASTER HORSES

Go to Top of Page

ten2six
Advanced Member

USA
3569 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  12:40:19  Show Profile Send ten2six a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm confused. Aren't the case dimensions the same? I just looked at my Hornady load manual and all the external numbers are the same for the .223 and the 5.56. I thought the 5.56 had thicker brass, slightly lower case capacity, and is OK for higher pressures. Mil-spec. Right?

With a 1:7" twist, your rifle may like heavier bullets. The lighter ones may work fine if they don't come apart, but it may take some trial and error. I would also seat all my bullets to SAMMI dimensions with a self-loader.

"Chances are, when we meet intelligent life forms in outer space, they're going to be descended from predators."
- Michio Kaku
Go to Top of Page

crasher
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  13:33:47  Show Profile Send crasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well maybe I'm confused or mistaken then because I always though the 5.56 was just ever so slightly longer than .223 not much but just a tiny bit. I saw a picture of .223 and 5.56 next to each other and I could have sworn the 5.56 was just a tiny bit taller than the .223 but I could be mistaken but of course right now I can't find that picture. But again thank you all for your help way more helpful than they guys over at ar15.com.

Go to Top of Page

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

2579 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  19:06:33  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Crasher

External case is the same. 5.56 Was the original cartridge set up for Military and heavier 62 grain and up bullets. Remington copied it and called it the .223 Rem and was set up for 55 grain bullets with a slightly shorter rifling leade.

I have a .223 Rem in Ruger Mod 77 compact Bolt action. With a 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip I am at 2.29" OAL.

I use 5.56 Win USA and Rem Nickel Coated .223 cases with CCI Mag primers. I use Mag primers for everything except Shotgun Shells. Less inventory.

LOL

Bobo 7mm Mag
Go to Top of Page

Gator
Starting Member

Tuvalu
1 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  22:35:04  Show Profile Send Gator a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Case dimensions are same except the capacity of 5.56 is less therefore equal powder charges result in greater pressure in 5.56 compared to .223 cases. Most rifles chambered for 5.56 are designed to handle higher pressures so be aware of these differences. Also, know that the "M" as in Federal primers such as 205M stands for "M"atch primers.

There is an almost unlimited amout of reading material regarding reloading. Do yourself a huge favor and spend time learning the ins and outs of this hobby. You'll be glad you did. Any number of reloading manuals will be great source(s)

Have fun
Go to Top of Page

Onondaga
Advanced Member

USA
2372 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2012 :  01:24:30  Show Profile Send Onondaga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am on my second barrel and fifth trigger after more than 20,000 rounds through my AR. H335 has given the best consistency for me and W748 has the best velocity but less consistent accuracy. I have used all CCI #400 primers and had zero FTF from primer defects. I also used up 8 pounds of surplus WC844 Lot 6467 with performance equal to H335.

All bullets were cannelure bullets so LOA was defined by bullet seating depth matching the cannelure so the effective Lee Factory Crimp Die could be used properly.

My powder charges, regardless of powder brand have been consistently 4% less than recommended MAXIMUM by the powder manufacturer.

All case trimming has been done to the preset length of the Lee gauge with the Lee Zip Trim and cases have been length checked/trimmed/chamfered/de-burred every 3rd loading cycle and brass re-annealed every 8th cycle till death.

Lee dies have been used throughout and most loading has been on the Lee Pro 1000 except for the latest 2,000 have been on a Lee Classic Cast Turret press.

Consistent case length and crimping to the cannelure are more important than measuring LOA for an AR15 with Military or commercial FMJ projectiles.

In general, people that use mag. primers in .223 are worried about cold weather ignition with ball powder, no matter who tells them that is nonsense.

I only shoot mixed Mil/NATO brass with no head-stamp sorting and I process the brass myself when I buy bulk once fired Mil/NATO brass. I have never fired factory ammo in my rifle.

Gary

Fine rifles are never really owned.

Edited by - Onondaga on Jun 26 2012 01:31:02
Go to Top of Page

ceshiwuhao
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2012 :  02:55:58  Show Profile Send ceshiwuhao a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great article, did not see for a long time.

http://www.mmoggg.de/|http://www.mmoggg.de/Diablo-3-gold/|http://www.mmoggg.de/aion-kinah-566/aion-kinah-kaufen/
Go to Top of Page

Hockeynick39
Advanced Member

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2012 :  07:18:38  Show Profile  Send Hockeynick39 an AOL message Send Hockeynick39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ceshiwuhao

Great article, did not see for a long time.

Chinese hacking troll?
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
5369 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2012 :  12:37:14  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here we go again discussing the differences of identical twins. Their clothes (chambers may be slightly different) but if you run either case through a particular sizing die you will get identical twins. Trim to a consistant length and they will be the same. There are differences in the same lot of factory .223 or 5.56 loaded ammo that exceeds the differences of the two loaded rounds. Now one case may have thicker case walls. It's all relative to the firearm and how the individual chamber reamer was cut. Yea, the specs of the 5.56 call for a longer throat but the AR15 platform restricts OAL. If 55 grain bullets shoot well for Crasher, great. Depending on powder he uses he may use mag primers but I really don't find the need with any good .223/5.56 powders.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06