Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Hunting
 Reaction when hit
 InterBond vs. AccuBond
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sureshot_RJC

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  21:47:36  Show Profile Send Sureshot_RJC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have done some research on both Hornady and Nosler websites and from what I can tell from what is given they are nearly identical. Both have the bonded technology, the synthetic tip for accuracy, both are supposed to keep 90%+ of bullet weight, the only thing I can see a difference in is price (my hunting store sells the Hornady's for about 5$/100 bullets less than the Noslers).

I am a broke university student, I want to do what I can to save whatever I can (which is hard because hunting, fishing, and shooting are apparently expensive hobbies) but I also want to have top quality stuff for my hunting/reloading. So from people who may have used both do they perform similarly enough for me to get the cheaper Hornady InterBonds without sacrificing the proven quality people on this forum swear by of the Nosler AccuBonds?

woods
Advanced Member

USA
2013 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  23:14:05  Show Profile Send woods a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Hornady Interbond and the Nosler Accubond have different terminal performance characteristics.

The Interbond is all bonded and it will retain much more of the lead and the lead will fold out into a large mushroom, like a Swift A-Frame or a Trophy Bonded Bear Claw.

The Accubond is the replacement for the Nosler Partition and is made to only retain approximately 70% of it's weight. The front part of the Accubond will shed and the petals fold back against the shaft and the bullet will keep penetrating.

The Accubond will penetrate much farther than the Interbond but will cause a smaller wound channel and exit hole.

Each performs good in it's own way.

When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Go to Top of Page

Sureshot_RJC

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  23:41:47  Show Profile Send Sureshot_RJC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am getting ready for a spring bear hunt, so would the InterBond be a better choice for such a thicker skinned/muscled animal?
Go to Top of Page

archerross
Advanced Member

USA
596 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  00:23:14  Show Profile Send archerross a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Either will do the job if you put it where it counts. The only difference you might find between the bullets is that one may shoot more accurately in your rifle than the other. Unfortunately, that would mean you would need to try both bullets. Have no fear, there is an online source for small numbers of bullets for testing. Check out www.bulletsamples.com. I haven't tried these guys yet, but I sure like the idea.

BTW, what caliber are you shooting?

There is plenty of room for all of God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes.

Edited by - archerross on Mar 03 2010 00:24:04
Go to Top of Page

Sureshot_RJC

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  00:30:18  Show Profile Send Sureshot_RJC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
270win- this gun is my pride and joy/ family heirloom. great uncle made it from a model 98 German Mauser from 1938 (it has the eagles and swastikas stamped on it still) hand carved stalk with a 29" target barrel. The bear I took last year was with some Federal 150gr powershock (cheap bullets really) and I destroyed its shoulder and cut through all the arteries and veins connected to the top of the heart. As long as I can take a good set shot I should be fine.

Thanks for the site I will definitely check it out!
Go to Top of Page

baldhunter
Average Member

USA
97 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  06:25:14  Show Profile Send baldhunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've shot both.They are both very good bullets.The Accubond does what is advertised,holds together,acts more like a Partition bullet than a Ballistic Tip,but sheds quite a bit of weight.The Hornady Interbond,I think it's a little tougher bullet and penetrates a little better than the Accubond.Both shoot equally as well in my rifles and I like the fact that the Hornadys still come packed 100 to a box.I have recovered Accubonds,but still haven't been able to recover an Interbond.My choice is the Interbond,but like I said,both are good bullets.
Go to Top of Page

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

2587 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  13:54:40  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sureshot RJC

Shot a WT Doe going almost straight away with a 154 Grain Hornady Interbond with a MV of 3,210 fps at about 90 yards. Broke rear leg socket at the hip going in, crossed entire chest and found the bullet under the skin in front of the opposite shoulder. Bullet has a huge mushroom and retained about 120 grains at 78% of total original mass.

Have loaded the accubond but have not taken any game with them yet.

The 150 grain Interlock is less cost than the other two. Take a serious look at them as well.

Sincerely,

Bobo 7mm Mag
Go to Top of Page

crimedog_132
Average Member

USA
149 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  14:48:10  Show Profile Send crimedog_132 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loaded mt 6.5x55 sweedish with 140 grain nosler accubonds last year. Took a mule deer buck at about 100 yards and with a good double lung shot I did retreive the animal. I was disappointed in the wound channel though. It left a very small entry and exit hole. I have about 45 bullets left so I will use them. Then I think I will switch to the interbond and see how they perform.
Go to Top of Page

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

2587 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  11:39:27  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sureshot RJC

FYI:

The Hornady Interbond tops out at 130 Grains.

The Nosler Accubond tops out at 140 grains.

The Hornady Interlock tops out at 150 grains.

Did not know if you were aware of the limited selection or not.

I have shot a WT Deer going straight away with a 7mm 175 grain Interlock screaming at 2,975 fps MV with my 7mm Rem Mag at 35 yards in the tail. Found the bullet between the front legs up in the Spine. DRT results. Big one piece mushroom at 96.8 grains retained weight for 55.3% retention of mass. The heavy end Interlocks are the best bang for the Buck.

How Big of a Bear are we talking about?

Good loading and shootin,

Bobo 7mm Mag
Go to Top of Page

Sureshot_RJC

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  00:45:27  Show Profile Send Sureshot_RJC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not trying to sound like a smartass, but I actually already picked up a box of 150gr InterBonds yesterday, and I know the Accubond is only to 140gr. As for the bear, i hope to get a black over 250lbs, but I may end up taking a last day bear like last year, he only weighed 160lbs. Talking to the CO's I know in the area they trapped one last fall that was stealing grain from a farmer a couple days after the fall season and all of them are experienced bear guys (one has been killing and trapping bears for the gov. for over 20 years) and all said this was the biggest blackbear they had ever seen. They never weighed it but they would be willing to bet he would be pushing record, and they dropped it off in some forestry where I do my spring bear hunt!

This year may be my best bear year, or worst bear year you never know. Regardless me and two buddies are planning a week long hunt out there so I will just be happy to be out of the city(schools killing me).

Thanks for the help I may get the interlocks for deer reloads i will be making after this spring hunt :)
Go to Top of Page

Hockeynick39
Advanced Member

USA
3778 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  09:54:02  Show Profile  Send Hockeynick39 an AOL message Send Hockeynick39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You won't be disappointed with the interbonds. I prefer them over the accubonds myself. Kind of like a Chevrolet, Ford, or Dodge discussion. Did I leave out the Japanese on this one? OOOOPPPS! (too expensive for my needs or taste anyway) Same goes for the bullets, flip a coin, they both work and work very well! Personally, I've had better success with the interbond/ interlock series of bullets than the accubonds or other Noslers (toss in a few Sierras here or there too). Good luck on the Spring Bear!
Go to Top of Page

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

2587 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  21:56:25  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sureshot RJC

Didn't know they started making 150 grain Interbonds. Let us know how they shoot and perform.

Sincerely,

Bobo 7mm Mag
Go to Top of Page

Mountainmanbeast@yahoo.co
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  22:04:20  Show Profile Send Mountainmanbeast@yahoo.co a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ive killed a coues whitetail with a 308 shooting 165 grain interbonds and it worked just fine it went all the way thrue on a shoulder shot at 211 yards, with silver dollar exit hole. Ive compared the interbond to the accubond and found that the interbond retains more weight and expands more. My cousi with the same load harvested a cow elk with a shoulder shot and dropped her with 1 shot as well same story complete pass thrue witha silver dollar exit wound. Thats been my experience with bullet and I really like it.I wantin to try the 180's in my 300 win mag for elk.

Shoot Straight!
Go to Top of Page

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

2587 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  13:44:35  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mountain Man

I will have to agree with you that the Interbond does expand to a large diameter.

I recovered a 7mm 154 grain Interbond from a WT screaming out of a 26" Ren Mag at 90 yards hit in the left rear leg and crossed the entire body to come to rest in the right front end under the skin. It expanded to the size of a Nickel and retained 119 grains.

LOL

Bobo
Go to Top of Page

mbra
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2014 :  23:31:14  Show Profile Send mbra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i have a kimber 260 lite weight. I want to shoot shoot 140 gr for everything. including Elk. I want to know if you have any educated wisdom you can share on the Accubond, Partions and Interlock for this gun for elk. I not sure if the gun has the correct twist for 140 gr any help would be good. I will also consider what bullets the gun likes best. thank you for any valuable information.
Go to Top of Page

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

2587 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2014 :  19:14:51  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Hornady Interlock is the shortest of the 3 therefore most likely to stabilze and shoot accurate.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06