Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 168 A-MAX low velocities
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HighPoint

USA
281 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  15:13:07  Show Profile Send HighPoint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have just finished up some 168 A- max in 308 win, why is it that hornady limits its max load to 44 gr of varget @ a listed 2600 fps (have not chrony yet). I have a pet load for the nosler 168 bthp cc, with a max listed 46 gr of varget @ 2815 fps. I would think you would be able to load the A-max to the same charge and velocities unless more psi is a problem with the A-max. Is hornady more carefull with there max loads than nosler.Seems to me they are missing out on a few feet per second but I will have to test their max loads before I can say that I am willing to go over max.

BUSHMASTER
Average Member

USA
84 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  15:47:52  Show Profile Send BUSHMASTER a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are all about saying to hell with the manuals arent you? Just give me all your books, you dont need them anyway. Make sure I am not sitting right beside you at the bench when you launch the rocket ship.....
BUSH
Go to Top of Page

cfvickers
Advanced Member

1893 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  16:29:12  Show Profile Send cfvickers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have some guns that my manuals max loads are on the low side, others they are dead on, and some they are a little high. Never more than 3-5% off though high or low. My Steyr SBS 6.5x55 is always dead on with the Hodgedon manual as far as max goes, but my 6.5-284 will generally take another 2-3 grains over without exhibiting any pressure signs. The 25-06 takes exactly 1.5 grains over on every manual I have tested it with before I get slightly cratered primers. The most accurate loads with any given powder are always between .5 and 1.5 grains under max on it. Accurate loads for the 6.5x55 are all over the place but if it doesn't like it, it opens the group very wide. It will shoot a 3 inch group with 140 grain VLDs with 45 grains of RL22 then a half inch group with 44.7. Bottom line is don't worry nearly as much about velocity as accuracy. Once you find consistent accuracy in a load, check the velocity and run your numbers on a ballistics program to get your trajectory. I like my 6.5-284 because it likes everything, that thing is almost incapable of over an inch group. this is just one guys oppinion and should be taken as such. All guns are different and your velocities will vary from the manual frome large to small and higher to lower.
Go to Top of Page

SWABBY56
Advanced Member

USA
730 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  17:48:41  Show Profile Send SWABBY56 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have loaded the 168 amax for my 308 using over 45 grains of varget. NO pressure sign or any ill effects of the powder charge.
Hae not put it across a chrony yet but is believed to be over 2700 and closer to 2800 fps out of a 26 inch barrel. I can not remember where I got the load but it is very accurate. Good luck!!
Go to Top of Page

ethmoid1999
Advanced Member

USA
3667 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  18:10:25  Show Profile Send ethmoid1999 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I blew a primer with a Lyman load in my 300 H&H using a 168 A-Max. It wasn't a max load for Lyman but it was over for the Hornady manual. I have been wanting to run some in my 308 but haven't had time. The too hot 300 H&H load was a three shot cloverleaf. The third shot blew the primer. The first two appeared normal pressure.
Go to Top of Page

Got-R-Did
Advanced Member

971 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  18:32:56  Show Profile Send Got-R-Did a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Different construction of each bullet may have a lot to do with it. I agree with CFVickers, I tend to look for the best accuracy and that tends to be found somewhat below max loads in my experience. That said, I am willing to sacrifice a slight increase in group size for greater velocity (and downrange energy) for big game as long as the load is safe in my rifle/pistol. I forget who said it but I like the quote "speed is fine, but accuracy is final".
Got-R-Did

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

ethmoid1999
Advanced Member

USA
3667 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  21:17:24  Show Profile Send ethmoid1999 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's a wonderful bullet but it raises pressures before some others would.
Go to Top of Page

Ds28

USA
3279 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  22:22:41  Show Profile Send Ds28 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I worked up a little at a time....my pet load is 45.5 grns of varget with the 168 AMAX and either Winchester of Lapua brass at 2740 fps at the max magazine length of 2.810 which is way off the lands

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Go to Top of Page

fishstan2
Advanced Member

USA
2312 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  01:13:43  Show Profile  Send fishstan2 a Yahoo! Message Send fishstan2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like DS28, My pet load is 45 to 45.5 grains of RL-15 with the 168 grain A-Max bullet at just over 2,800 fps in my 26 inch barrel and just a bit over 2,750 fps in my 24 inch barrel. No pressure signs and no primer defects. This is my go to load, and have taken alot of game with them. Keep in mind this is considred to be a "MATCH BULLET", not a hunting bullet, which is where I think the lower velocity is expected, I could be wrong on this but JMHO (keep in mind the 308 FED Match ammo sold out of the factory is around the 2,600 to 2,650 fps depending on barrel length, and if we use the M-24 sniper rifle as a standard you are looking at around the 2,650/2,660 fps with 168/175 grain Match King bullets, so that is my reason for the lower velocity). But I am here to tell you I have pushed Match King and A-Max bullets all the way to 3,700+ fps out of my 7.82 Warbird & 30-378 Weatherby's, with fantastic results I might add. I hope this helps. Stan

WILLIAMS, STANLEY W.
CSM JBLM
"I SAY SHOOTEM FROM LONG RANGE"

Edited by - fishstan2 on Mar 26 2010 01:36:23
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06