Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 .308 case length
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

awesomeame

23 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2010 :  15:46:47  Show Profile Send awesomeame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just getting into reloading, finally having some time to do this.

I've resized about 40rds, and so far case length varies about 12 thousandths. Basically anywhere from 2.008-2.020 What should the ideal case OAL be for a .308 WIN? What do you guys trim them down to?

Oh, also I was thinking about getting a tumbler as well-does one tumble before or after resizing?

TIA

Matt

lefty o
Advanced Member

USA
989 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2010 :  17:02:21  Show Profile Send lefty o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
your manuals will have trim lengths listed
Go to Top of Page

curly

Canada
2946 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2010 :  18:38:09  Show Profile Send curly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the .308 Winchester case: Maximum length is 2.015 inches...trim to 2.005....What most of us do is buy a bag of new brass, measure each case, find the shortest one, and trim all cases to that length..
This will give you more uniform results in reloading for the cartridge...

Just me two cents...

Curly
Go to Top of Page

determined451
Advanced Member

973 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2010 :  09:56:03  Show Profile  Click to see determined451's MSN Messenger address  Send determined451 a Yahoo! Message Send determined451 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
+1 on what Curly said.. On tumbling..........If cases were dirty...I would tumble, wipe the cases down, then resize, then tumble again to remove the lubricant.....If they were fairly clean, wipe them with a rag. resize, then tumble to remove the lubricant. ..Also remember to chcek the flash holes before loading to be sure that no media has stuck in the hole...My suggestion, is get a good reloading manual, and become very familiar with it before starting t reload. D-451

The Second Amendment.. America's Original Homeland Security
Go to Top of Page

necchi
Advanced Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2010 :  11:20:09  Show Profile Send necchi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by determined451
My suggestion, is get a good reloading manual, and become very familiar with it before starting t reload. D-451

+1 to that
Reading 1 or 2 good books on reloading, cover too cover is always a good bet.
Check the local Library, books are free remember?

I'd recomend the ABC's of Reloading by Bill Chevalier to any one novice to 20yr experianced.
Go to Top of Page

308stuffer

266 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2010 :  14:23:51  Show Profile Send 308stuffer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rule #1 get a comprehensive reloading manual. Also, you tube is a good source for videos. On my first processing of reloaded cases I trim to 2.008, then after that I trim only after they pass 2.015. If you are going to use the lee trimmers then your trim length will be set the same every time. If not using a lee trimming set up find a spare .308 case you will never need and trim it to your desired length and use it as a "standard" to set up your trimmer.

less talkin and more loadin.... pass me a beer....
Go to Top of Page

awesomeame

23 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  12:10:24  Show Profile Send awesomeame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks a lot guys

Matt
Go to Top of Page

determined451
Advanced Member

973 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  13:04:07  Show Profile  Click to see determined451's MSN Messenger address  Send determined451 a Yahoo! Message Send determined451 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
+ 1 on Curly D-451

The Second Amendment.. America's Original Homeland Security
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06