Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 Millett 6X25 LRS Scope
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ToddKS

52 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  01:05:38  Show Profile Send ToddKS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am considering buying a Millett scope for my Savage Model 12BVSS. I looked into the Bushnell Elite 6500, but it does not appear to have the elevation adjustment I am looking for.

The Millett scope appears to have excellent range of elevation adjustment which would allow me to potentially shoot at longer ranges without having to go to a different mount.

I would love to have a NightForce or a Schmidt and Bender, but that is simply not going to be in the budget anytime soon so I am looking for the next best option.

Reviews on this scope seem to be favorable, but I am hoping to hear from some folks who either have direct experience with this scope or have friend that do.

Even with the price tag at less than $500 that is still a decent amount of money so I am wanting to make sure that I am making a good call.

I am not a big fan of the fact that this scope uses 35mm rings, but I am willing to live with that given that the rings are included.

Any usefull comment on the topic is appreciated.

ten2six
Advanced Member

USA
3566 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  02:06:52  Show Profile Send ten2six a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ToddKS,

Don't worry about the 35 mm rings, because a 35 mm main tube means more resolution. I've not looked through these scopes, but that's what I would recommend you do before you buy.

A lot of the top end scopes (~$1500 - $2500) use 30 mm main tubes. The Schmidt & Bender have 34 mm tubes. I see no problem with the larger tube, if the glass makes effective use of the extra light pouring through.

Go to a shop that has the Millet and some of the 30 mm tube scopes out there (Leupold, Nightforce, Swarovski, etc...) and compare. Look at the farthest, darkest corner you can and really try to see which one is better (no pun intended...).

Finally, I assume you're looking at one of the "Long Range" Millets. How far are you planning on shooting with this rig? Having this info will help responders tailor their replies.

Good luck with the decision...
ten

"Chances are, when we meet intelligent life forms in outer space, they're going to be descended from predators."
- Michio Kaku
Go to Top of Page

ToddKS

52 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  00:17:18  Show Profile Send ToddKS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My goal is to eventually be able to shoot in excess of 600 yds with this rifle. That is why the elevation adjustment is a concern.

My rifle is chambered in 308 Winchester which really starts to drop around 500 yds.

There is no where in my area that I am going to be able to look through one of these scopes prior to purchase, which is why I was hoping to find someone here with some experience. As I mentioned previously, money is a factor. This is not the scope of my dreams by any stretch, but I am looking to upgrade and this seems to be one of the better alternatives in the price bracket.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06