Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 Hodgdon Super Performance Powder
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

deerndingo
Starting Member

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  02:35:21  Show Profile Send deerndingo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Hodgdon had advised they will be releasing some of their Super Performance powder. I note it is currently used in as small as .243WIn. Just wondering if the powder they use would replace RL15 or given those rounds are loaded with heavy projectiles, will teh powder be a bit slower burning than RL15 and Varget.

Thanks for your thoughts

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

2546 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  19:38:20  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Deer n Dingo

Welcome to the "Nest".

RL-15 is made by Alliant so it will not be discontinued.

Where did you hear about Hodgdon releasing Superformance powder?

Sincerely,

Bobo

Go to Top of Page

cfvickers
Advanced Member

1893 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  23:30:59  Show Profile Send cfvickers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hornady makes Superformance and a while back they were saying it would be at least a few years before it was released. However, if Hodgdon can make it, does make it, it would solve their supply problem,. their reason was inadequate current supply. If they sold their formula to hodgdon and they duplicated, hodgdon definitely has the capability to turn enough out for public use. RL17 will duplicate superformance velocities and beat their consistency from the couple calibers I have tried. In temps below 85 I get single digit ES with every RL17 load I have tried in three calibers. Doesn't always group great but very consistent and 100 fps+ better than anything else in standard calibers from .257-.308. I regularly get 3100 fps with no pressure from my 6.5-284 and a 140 grain VLD with it and only a 26 inch barrel. Be interested in hearing where this came from as well. I am always interested in new powders.
Go to Top of Page

deerndingo
Starting Member

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  03:02:03  Show Profile Send deerndingo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I can always squeeze a bit more out of my loads using some other powder. What this powder does is squeeze out a bit more FPS while accommodating the need for low pressure, shelf bought ammunition. Let's see what happens, but this powder might turn 223s into 22-250s and 22-250s into 220 Swifts. It might not too!

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunit...ndex.html#cont

I would like to hear comment on how this may go in 22-250s using 55gr pills. I note that most of the Super Performance is heavy pill stuff (IE. 100gr 243). That sounds more like a pwder equivalent to H414 and H450 than Varget or RL 15.

Any thoughts on that point?
Go to Top of Page

ethmoid1999
Advanced Member

USA
3612 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  09:13:55  Show Profile Send ethmoid1999 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am hoping they have some data for the 300 H&H. I will sure be watching! :)
Go to Top of Page

sonnyboy

USA
357 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  12:17:35  Show Profile Send sonnyboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not a powder engineer but other powder manufactures should have no problem in making this type of powder. The primary reason for RL-17 out running all the others is because the flame retardant is mixed with the powder while it is still a wet paste so that it permeates throughout the individual grains of the propellant. Therefore, it has a more controlled burning rate than with the others that are merely coated with retardant. Once the coating of retardant burns off there is nothing left to slow down the burn rate.
When the cartridge is fired there will be a pressure spike, like on an ekg scope. When RL-17 is fired it is not a spike per se but rather a pressure curve. What this means is that the bullet will have a longer push going down the barrel at higher pressures than regular powders do now. I look forward to the next published loading manuals coming on the market. Unless Alliant has a strong patent on this technology we should see some really revolutionary jumps in velocity the next couple of years. BTW, RL-17 is the only powder I now use in my .30-06s now.

Happy Shooting
sonnyboy
Go to Top of Page

cfvickers
Advanced Member

1893 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  13:04:30  Show Profile Send cfvickers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hybrid 100V will do basically the same thing, but it may be that it will not quite duplicate RL17 performance because it is actually a ball powder. Like you Sonnyboy, I am no engineer, but I have read a lot and experimented a lot with both. I have always been happy with Hybrid 100V until I tried RL17. That stuff is amazing, the only place Hybrid 100V outperforms it is in high temps. When it is hot out the Hybrid powder excels, but the RL17 tends to fall off.
Go to Top of Page

Evad
Advanced Member

USA
1322 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  01:02:54  Show Profile Send Evad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is some info, and release dates. http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunition/ST_superpowders_081710WO/index.html
Dave

I never met a gun I didn't like.
Go to Top of Page

deerndingo
Starting Member

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  03:22:39  Show Profile Send deerndingo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,
From the conversaation so far it appears that the new powder is in the same burn rate range as RL17. Would that be correct?
Go to Top of Page

sonnyboy

USA
357 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  05:27:45  Show Profile Send sonnyboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
deerndingo:
Of that I am not sure, however Alliant advertises RL-17 to have a very similar burn rate as that of IMR4350. When I compared RL-17 with IMR4350 in the various manuals it looked like one could load the RL-17 by merely using IMR4350 data. Do not hold my word to that! Go by the manuals! RL-17 loads (even the max ones) were pretty "tame" in my rifles. Work up carefully. BTW, I even found a RL-17 load for the .300 Win Mag with the 150gr bullet.

Happy Shooting
sonnyboy
Go to Top of Page

deerndingo
Starting Member

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  18:14:01  Show Profile Send deerndingo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I shoot 22-250 x 55gr and a 308 necked to 270 x 130gr. So my interest in this new powder is for those rounds. Both those rounds work well with RL-15 and Varget. I was just wondering if teh new powder would be fast burning enough to be used in these two rounds.

As I said, looking at what they load up in thier shelf bought Super Performance ammunition the new powder could burn a bit slower than I need.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

jgorski

USA
10 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  22:52:39  Show Profile Send jgorski a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cfvickers

Hornady makes Superformance and a while back they were saying it would be at least a few years before it was released. However, if Hodgdon can make it, does make it, it would solve their supply problem,. their reason was inadequate current supply. If they sold their formula to hodgdon and they duplicated, hodgdon definitely has the capability to turn enough out for public use. RL17 will duplicate superformance velocities and beat their consistency from the couple calibers I have tried. In temps below 85 I get single digit ES with every RL17 load I have tried in three calibers. Doesn't always group great but very consistent and 100 fps+ better than anything else in standard calibers from .257-.308. I regularly get 3100 fps with no pressure from my 6.5-284 and a 140 grain VLD with it and only a 26 inch barrel. Be interested in hearing where this came from as well. I am always interested in new powders.

I dont believe RL17 will duplicate Superformance powder, the numbers dont come close in the Alliant manual, but i do believe Alliants other new powder the PP2000MR will come very close, Im getting over 2700 fps shooting a 178HPBT Hornady Match bullet out of my 308, Alliant is also getting 2760 from a 180 Fusion which almost matches Hornadys 178 Super match load. Im also getting very good accuracy with the new PP20000MR.
Go to Top of Page

dh2
Advanced Member

683 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  22:19:00  Show Profile Send dh2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hodgen web sight said avable now. but does not give data for any thing i shoot, i would like to give it a try in 25-06
Go to Top of Page

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

2546 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  23:43:53  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
dh2

Using SupForm in my .243 Win loads simalar to RL-19. You could use some RL-19 starting load powder charges to get going in your .25-06.
Go to Top of Page

hwy40
Advanced Member

USA
544 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2011 :  10:37:10  Show Profile Send hwy40 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is a link to Hodgdon's site with the superformance and Leverevlolution info. http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/SuperLever.pdf

Sorry, forgot to paste the link.

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Edited by - hwy40 on Aug 25 2011 18:43:39
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06