Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 Gun Safe Humidity
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ethmoid1999
Advanced Member

USA
3632 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2010 :  11:04:26  Show Profile Send ethmoid1999 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My step-brother just got a brand new gun safe. We have used two of the large silica gel cannisters and in just a couple of days they are pink again and have to be put into the oven. Same thing three or four times. The humidity reads 45%. What "should" the humidity be in a gun safe? We are thinking of installing one of the electric deals. What do you guys think? Thanks. Mike

cfvickers
Advanced Member

1893 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2010 :  14:52:33  Show Profile Send cfvickers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Less than 60% and you will be fine. I have a safe in my basement and I keep one of those canisters that removes moisture from the air in my safe. You can get them for about 2-3 dollars at dollar general and the likes. They are made for bathrooms to keep mildew smells down, and they work great in a safe. last about 3-6 months depending on the conditions in your safe. 3 in mine because it is in the basement where the humidity will often get up to 75-80% at times.
Go to Top of Page

cfvickers
Advanced Member

1893 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2010 :  14:55:13  Show Profile Send cfvickers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine actually got to the point once where I started to get some mold on one of my stocks before I started using this and the metal parts were still in good shape, so you have some leeway. Most certainly don't recommend you let it get that humid in your safe but just for a demonstration of what your guns will take before they rust.
Go to Top of Page

lefty o
Advanced Member

USA
989 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2010 :  15:15:54  Show Profile Send lefty o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
45% is the highest i would let it go. i prefer 35-40%.
Go to Top of Page

lightman
Advanced Member

1134 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2010 :  22:35:49  Show Profile Send lightman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My safe came with a Golden Rod that seems to work ok.Mines in the house,so humidity should not be much problem anyway.If I thought that it was a problem,I would try the Golden Rod and something to absorbs moisture. Lightman
Go to Top of Page

cfvickers
Advanced Member

1893 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2010 :  23:09:40  Show Profile Send cfvickers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't put a gauge in my safe but I will when I get home in the morning and will let you know where the absorber is keeping it. I have probably 4 or five of them that I use in cigar humidors, don't know why I never thought to put one in the safe. In Arkansas, especially in rice farm country in east Arkansas humidity is almost always very high so humidity is a constant concern with anything metal. Lefty, 45 would likely seem high to you, but it is unheard of here, and I don't have a serious problem with guns rusting. Just if you leave them out in the truck with the windows down.
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang
Advanced Member

3319 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  07:36:47  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage Send Wolfgang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm am not at all happy with the performance of the Golden Rod, I had the largest one they make, rated for far more cubic feet of volume than I was using it in and it failed to work properly. If you do not have dry air to exchange for the wet air, all the GR type products will do is give you hot wet air that promotes corrosion. Any heater type device is not going work in a wet atmosphere unless it's a positive pressure arrangement in a containment capable of maintaining a controlled atmosphere. IOW, if the humidity level in the building in which the safe is housed is 45%, any heating device like a GR is only going to give you warm 45% humidity air inside the safe. You need a refrigerant device to condense the moisture from the air in order to lower humidity. The only thing a heating unit can do is help to prevent surface condensation and that only if it's maintaining at a 25F differential - for example, if it's 80F in the building, to prevent condensation the interior of the safe and it's contents would need to be maintained at 105F but the humidity will still be 45%.

Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."
Harry S. Truman
mark@fire-iron.biz

Go to Top of Page

grubber
Advanced Member

1305 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  10:15:05  Show Profile Send grubber a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For what it's worth, I believe the National Firearms Museum stives to maintain 50% humidity. The thinking being that lower than that can cause wooden stocks to become brash or warp.

I use VCI emitters in the safes. I have more control over that then I do humidity. If it gets really high, I might run the dehumidifier awhile, but then one air exchange and hours of running the dehumidifier (which draws considerable power) are just wasted.
Go to Top of Page

ten2six
Advanced Member

USA
3566 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  10:30:55  Show Profile Send ten2six a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here in the PNW, where it seems to be gray for 10 months of the year, a Golden Rod and chemical desiccant (like Dri-Z-Air, or other) are the ticket. I use the refillable containers and set one up in the middle of the safe. Usually I have to empty it every month or two, but the combination works great. The only down side...oil finished wood (like pistol and relvolver grips) need more frequent attention.

We don't have the heat with the humidity problem some of you have, but I feel a few ounces of prevention are worth it to prevent the pound of cure it takes to get rid of rust. "RUST", another four letter word in this household.

ten

"Chances are, when we meet intelligent life forms in outer space, they're going to be descended from predators."
- Michio Kaku
Go to Top of Page

RobertGoncalvesCosta
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - May 01 2014 :  02:56:37  Show Profile Send RobertGoncalvesCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The humidity shouldn't be over 45%. There are some good choices on gunsafeguide.org

Edited by - RobertGoncalvesCosta on May 01 2014 03:01:12
Go to Top of Page

mikld

USA
246 Posts

Posted - May 01 2014 :  15:55:18  Show Profile Send mikld a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a question, are your gun safes air tight/sealed? If not it seems like it would be a loosing battle to keep the humidity low inside while it's hovering around 80%-90% outside.

Vocatus atque non vocatus, Dues ad erit.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06