Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 Minnesota..Can you own a fully automatic rifles???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Shootist

USA
26 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  18:25:53  Show Profile Send The Shootist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it legal to own fully automatic weapons?

Get out and knife it!!

Hockeynick39
Advanced Member

USA
3778 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  18:31:01  Show Profile  Send Hockeynick39 an AOL message Send Hockeynick39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure if you have an FFL and a Class III license. You may also wish to check with your current states' law regarding the ownership of automatic weapons.
Go to Top of Page

cfvickers
Advanced Member

1893 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  18:50:47  Show Profile Send cfvickers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Licenses are not hard to get if yu have the hefty sum 0f money to drop on them. Then the legal guns start at around 3500.00 if you find one cheap.

Isn't it cheaper just to make them full auto yourself??? That's a joke.
Go to Top of Page

Fred_C_Dobbs
Advanced Member

678 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  19:45:11  Show Profile Send Fred_C_Dobbs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cfvickers...Isn't it cheaper just to make them full auto yourself??? That's a joke.

The BATF is renown for its sense of humor.

I'll bet ya a hundred and five thousand dollars you go to sleep before I do.
-- Dobbsie
Go to Top of Page

cfvickers
Advanced Member

1893 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  22:20:09  Show Profile Send cfvickers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really????
Go to Top of Page

lefty o
Advanced Member

USA
990 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  22:37:23  Show Profile Send lefty o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
do the paper work, pass the background check, and pay for the tax stamp and you can own a FA in MN. you do not need an FFL to own a FA weapon.
Go to Top of Page

lost-leader
Advanced Member

USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  23:55:18  Show Profile Send lost-leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With the price of ammo now day's, your better off leaving them semi auto. If U want to poke alot of hole's in the target, all at once, try a 12ga.- 00 buck. After 20 shot's with my Mini-14, the barrel is so hot U can smell the oil on the barrel cooking. lost.
Go to Top of Page

twud
Advanced Member

USA
2092 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  17:13:46  Show Profile Send twud a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a ton of paper work and bureaucracy with the feds. It takes about 6 months or so to get the permit which costs $200. I've known people who have been denied for no good reason. Gotta agree with Lost, with the cost of ammo it's not that much fun.
I've fired Ingrams and M16's and have no desire to own either.
If your set on owning one your first step is to find a good Class 3 dealer.

NRA Life Member

If a man is alone, deep in the woods, and there is no woman to hear him is he still wrong?
Go to Top of Page

The Shootist

USA
26 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  20:10:47  Show Profile Send The Shootist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your help. One more thing where do you get the paper work to get it done?

Get out and knife it!!
Go to Top of Page

Fred_C_Dobbs
Advanced Member

678 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  21:14:30  Show Profile Send Fred_C_Dobbs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Shootist

Thanks for your help. One more thing where do you get the paper work to get it done?

First of all, FA weapons are legal to own under US law but they are taxed under the National Firearms act of 1934. Prior to 1934, you could buy a Thompson submachinegun in the Sears & Roebuck catalog, or a BAR off the shelf at Ace Hardware. In 1934, Congress thought a $200 tax was so steep it would forever stifle the sale of automatic weapons. It is just a tax, not a permit or a license and it does not give the police leave to search your house without a warrant. Fortunately, they've never managed to raise it from the original $200.

The reason FA weapons cost so much more than semi-autos is because of the 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act. It had an amendment stating no FA weapon manufactured after that date would be "transferable," meaning legal to sell to another private citizen. That means that only the pool of FA weapons manufactured by 1986 is "transferable." Twenty-five years on, there's a lot more people who want to own machine guns but there still are only as many "transferable" machine guns as there were in 1986 (minus those confiscated or destroyed) so the prices keep going up, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

So how do you go about getting one? The first thing is you have to buy the weapon, but you can't take it home yet. The paperwork lists the weapon by serial number so you have to pay the dealer for it so he will commit that serial number to your paperwork.

The paperwork is a Form 4, which is application for the federal tax stamp. The Class III dealer should supply you with the Form 4. Complete the form, get fingerprinted and have a passport photo made. Some Class III dealers provide little or no help with the paperwork. The best ones fill in everything except the signatures and even do the fingerprint card for you. Besides yours, the paperwork also requires the signature of a local law enforcement official. I used my county sheriff because I'm known to him (in a good way) and he's known to be gun-friendly.

Then you send the paperwork, fingerprint card, passport photo and a check for $200 per weapon or device to the feds and you wait. Win, lose or draw, your $200 is gone but the dealer should refund the suppressor's purchase price if you're rejected (but it pays to ask and make certain).

These days, the turn-around on the paperwork is six months or more. The reply will go to the Class III dealer, who was identified on the paperwork, and not to you. When they receive the approval, they will release the weapon to you along with the stamp.

It's a real stamp, just like a postage stamp, but will be affixed to an 8 1/2x11 sheet of paper with your photo and all your details. Photocopy the stamp and store the original someplace safe. Carry the photocopy with you whenever you have the weapon in your possession. You must produce it if requested by a LEO. If you lose it or it is destroyed, the original stamp cannot be replaced. You must go through the process a second time and get another stamp for another $200. Unless you lose the original stamp, it's a one-time tax (per weapon or device), good for life.

-- Dobbsie
Go to Top of Page

lost-leader
Advanced Member

USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  22:45:28  Show Profile Send lost-leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shootist- Bureau, Acohol, Tobacco, and Firearm's, I believe. For the address, look it up on the puter. ( Some submachine gun's fire from an open chamber )U can figure thing's out from there. I did. Now my lip's are sealed. lost.
Go to Top of Page

Fred_C_Dobbs
Advanced Member

678 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  22:48:58  Show Profile Send Fred_C_Dobbs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-4.pdf

-- Dobbsie
Go to Top of Page

mpowell2721
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2010 :  16:10:41  Show Profile Send mpowell2721 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have an AR-15 that I want to turn into FA. If I was to convert it how would I go about registering it with the ATF and the State of MN?
Go to Top of Page

BISCUT

3501 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2010 :  20:28:04  Show Profile Send BISCUT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mpowell2721

I have an AR-15 that I want to turn into FA. If I was to convert it how would I go about registering it with the ATF and the State of MN?

How old? They are usually manufactured with a block that does not allow machining, at least in the traditional sense for the necessary 3rd hole for the auto/burst sear in the lower.

If you do have an old enough lower to have it converted, please think seriously about going 3rd burst instead. Full auto dumps a 30rd mag in less than 2 seconds. 3 round burst much better...allows supressive fire if needed, and more importantly, controlled muzzle flip.
Go to Top of Page

GeraldG

USA
306 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2010 :  20:56:33  Show Profile Send GeraldG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The way I understand it, auto sear for weapons like the AR-15 is considered as a "machine gun" in and of itself. You have to get one of the auto sears that are on the NFA registry..to my knowledge there is no way for an individual to legally manufacture an auto sear or convert a semi-auto to full auto by any other means. BATFE takes this VERY seriously.
Go to Top of Page

lefty o
Advanced Member

USA
990 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2010 :  21:05:30  Show Profile Send lefty o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mpowell2721

dont even think about it!!!! only legal machine guns are pre '86 guns that were registered then. converting your own is a guaranteed trip to federal prison!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06