Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 32 S&W with round ball?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Quillgordo

USA
10 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2010 :  09:02:35  Show Profile Send Quillgordo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have some 32 S&W shorties, that I wanted to load just for garden plinking. I mic'd my Hornady 32 cal .310's and they are abound .312. Tried them in the barrel of my S&W lemon Squeezer, and they should work. Has anyone tried to load a roundball in this cartridge? If not, can it work? Thanks

David Craig Josephson

Quillgordo

USA
10 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2010 :  14:54:36  Show Profile Send Quillgordo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, seeing a bunch of lookers and no replies, I took my experiment out side, and can say that all 6 rounds functioned flawlessly, and resulted in minute of mud puddle accuracy at 10 feet. Although only 1.5 g of Bullseye, I did notice my primers backing out of the pocket. Now my balls are only around 47 g, and there is no crimp of course nor any real pressure on the bullet seat, but I'm backing it down to 1.2 g just for safety in this old gun. Anyone with a chrony, or more knowledgeable about a safe load, I would appreciate hearing. Thanks

David Craig Josephson
Go to Top of Page

Evad
Advanced Member

USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2010 :  21:29:37  Show Profile Send Evad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The primers are probably backing out because of low pressure/no crimp. Try to put a crimp on the case, just to add a little starting pressure on the ball. Crimp on the center of the ball, and see what happens.
Dave

I never met a gun I didn't like.
Go to Top of Page

tinker
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2010 :  23:58:47  Show Profile Send tinker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try using a powder that fills the case. One that still burns clean. I like Trail Boss on 44 russian plinkers, and .357 triple round ball loads. Do not compress the loads. It fills the case enough so that there is very little pressure fluctuation.

Gun control is being able to put the second shot through the first hole.
Go to Top of Page

Quillgordo

USA
10 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  14:46:00  Show Profile Send Quillgordo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AHHH, The crimp makes sense. I should have known that it was no crimp and not too much pressure. Thanks

David Craig Josephson
Go to Top of Page

Evad
Advanced Member

USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  21:25:22  Show Profile Send Evad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your welcome.
Dave

Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang
Advanced Member

3376 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  08:12:30  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage Send Wolfgang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave,

I think that light charge of Bullseye combined with the additional open area in the case is likely being detonated by the primer. IOW, when the primer fires, it's igniting all the powder at once generating a massive pressure spike rather than the ideal condition where the powder burns at a controlled rate producing a smoother pressure ramp. The lack of crimp should produce lower pressure as the projo will move easier thus increasing the available volume - if the primers are backing out without crimp, adding a crimp is likely going to produce an even higher pressure spike.

I'm with Tinker on this one, you need to get a load for Trail Boss or go to black powder - do NOT leave any air space between the ball and powder if using black powder! Any air-gap in a black powder load will generate insanely high pressure as the projectile acts as a bore obstruction.

I messed with round ball loads in the .38 special & .45 colt long before Trail Boss was an option. There were some loads for smokeless but they all required the use of wads to take up the additional case volume.

Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."
Harry S. Truman
mark@fire-iron.biz

Go to Top of Page

Evad
Advanced Member

USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  21:05:46  Show Profile Send Evad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In a book by Maj George C Nonte Jr, he states that round ball loads should always be crimped. I have not tried them, but was going by what I read in his book.
Dave

Go to Top of Page

Evad
Advanced Member

USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  21:07:26  Show Profile Send Evad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quillgordo, Have you tried the crimped loads yet? If so please let us know what happened with them.
Dave

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.18 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06