Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 Black Powder
 KIK Black Powder
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ray Newman
Average Member

90 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2010 :  16:32:33  Show Profile Send Ray Newman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone here load black powder cartridge rifle (BPCR) rounds with KIK Black Powder, made in Slovenia?

My supply of GOEX is just about exhausted and before I ordered any more GOEX or tried KIK, thought it would be worthwhile to have some input.

Couldn’t find anything on this site for KIK using the search function. From what I find about KIK via Google, it all seems to pertain to muzzleloaders or revolvers.

Locally, one other BPCR shooter did load (maybe still does load) with it. But he always claimed it shot “good”. However, I can’t relate to “good”. Too vague and what is good for one just might be substandard to another. Group size is something I can easily relate to….

Wolfgang
Advanced Member

3379 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2010 :  21:21:57  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage Send Wolfgang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kik is good for cartridges & ML's. I haven't used any recently but when I did, I liked it. I don't think it's as consistent from lot to lot as Schutzen (Graf's) or Swiss but it's no more inconsistent than Goex. I know there were several posts in forums claiming it produced more fouling but after burning 25# of it, the amount of fouling I saw was no greater than Goex or Elephant and none of it produced the heavy hard cake fouling that some lots of Goex are noted for. As for cartridge use, I didn't take note to anything excessively out of the ordinary, at least nothing I can recall, other than it does seem to like about 0.030" more compression than Schutzen. It, is a "softer" shooting powder like Elephant, may have to bump the load up a bit to keep the same POI but these "softer" powders are ideal for long barrels and heavy projectile.

Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."
Harry S. Truman
mark@fire-iron.biz

Go to Top of Page

Ray Newman
Average Member

90 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2010 :  11:43:12  Show Profile Send Ray Newman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wolfgang: appreciate the information. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

John Boy

14 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2010 :  23:28:01  Show Profile Send John Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ray, here's a recipe that I use in my RRB,50-70:
50-70 Lee 515-450-F 457gr Bhn 5.7 Starline CCI Br2 KIK FFg 70 X-Ray Paper 0.003 Bottom Driving Band AV-1221 SD-12
Sad to say, the KIK FFg shipment of 2004 is none left in the US. I only have 5 lbs left of this shipment. Powder Inc has FFFg only - out of stock. KIK went bankrupt in 2009 but supposedly are out of bankruptcy now and Jerry is waiting for a new shipment of the FFFg.
Here's a test of various powders, including KIK ... http://www.norwestcompany.com/comparison.htm

KIK is one of the 3 powders that uses the good charcoal made from Alder Buckhorn. It has an excellent burn rate but the foul is not comparable to Swiss but the price is reasonable. I'd give it a 'Buy' recommendation, quality as a function of price. I have not shot the powder in my Sharps or HiWall

I shoot the FFg in my RRB #1 Musket at all the ranges for steel and 1000 yds. Military sights are not like using a vernier for accuracy though. Here's my 'Infamous Miss' smacking a HiBore spinner that was 3 ft to the right of the 1000yd target. My spotter said it was going about 100 mph ...

Regards
John

Edited by - John Boy on Oct 29 2010 23:32:06
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang
Advanced Member

3379 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2010 :  20:24:28  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage Send Wolfgang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John Boy

My spotter said it was going about 100 mph ...

LOL!

Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."
Harry S. Truman
mark@fire-iron.biz

Go to Top of Page

John Boy

14 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  13:26:27  Show Profile Send John Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gentlemen, the new 2010 lots of KIK Fg - 1.5Fg and FFg is being tested by several BPCR shooters across the US. Results related to fouling and accuracy are receiving very good reports. To the extent that many are considering to switch from Swiss to KIK
All granulation's of the powder have uniform sieve ratios and the powder densities are 'heavy'

handloads.com and the Shiloh forums have treads going now on the powder

Regards
John
Go to Top of Page

tombstone71
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2012 :  17:32:06  Show Profile Send tombstone71 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have been Testing kik 2f in 34 in. 45/90. First test was at 100 yards
less fouling than goex 1f and swiss 2ff and a lot softer too. Groups were on par with the swiss but beat the goex. The temp. was 85 and humd.was 15%. Ran 10 shots with kik, no wet patch and no blow tube and still got a good group, cant do that with swiss or goex. AS it is always hot and dry down here this is a good thing.
Groups were-swiss 2"--goex 3"--kik 2" with 2 three hole hits
LOADS- Starline- 210 fed- .002 neck- Dropped tube 30"- spg-lyman postel 524 gr. .200 compression with one .025 paper card. oal 3.223.
above was same for all three powders
Wiped with wet patch and then dry patch every five shots for ten shots per powder except for the fourth test which was the kik for a straight ten. Will take it to 200 yrd next week and see if it holds up.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06