Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Hunting
 Bullet performance
 accubond vs barnes tsx in .270 win.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ranchreloader

10 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  23:51:39  Show Profile Send ranchreloader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I shot 2 elk at 150 yards with my 270 this year. 140 grain bt interlock. And was not very pleased. I broke the shoulder on both but didnt make it to the second lung. Wonering if anyone has used accubonds or tsx's on elk in a 270 or simmilar

140 gr bt interlock
54 gr IMR 4831
win large rifle pimmer

Hockeynick39
Advanced Member

USA
3779 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  09:45:48  Show Profile  Send Hockeynick39 an AOL message Send Hockeynick39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the 'Nest! What were you not pleased with about the bullet? How far did the animal travel before it expired after being shot? The other thing is shot placement, which it appears that you are aware of due to the shot side shoulder being hit. Side note on that is that maybe the bullet should have been a round nose if you were going to be attempting to shoot through the shoulder blade. Round noses, especially at close shooting ranges (-200 yards), carry more enrgy and penetration than say a spitzer or a boat tail (which are generally used for longer ranges, +/- 300 yards). The Interlock that you used was probably the SPBT which probably, like most other SPBTs, will not penetrate a heavy bone like the shoulder and still penetrate all the way through a carcass to do the amount of damage that you are expecting it to do. If the shot was placed say, just below or just behind the shoulder, you may have gotten the double lung/ heart shot needed for a good clean kill. You also didn't mention a need for a follow up shot so, my guess on that is, the bullet actually did it's job. Just a few thoughts, I may be wrong, but hopefully someone a little more knowledgeable on this will chime in.
Go to Top of Page

ranchreloader

10 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  10:39:39  Show Profile Send ranchreloader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am sure the bull would have died soon, after all we wait for hours after shooting with a bow, however I have a neighbor who is not so nice and he started heading for that fence so I shot him again.
Go to Top of Page

ranchreloader

10 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  10:57:34  Show Profile Send ranchreloader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
also I couldnt find any bullet peices bigger than a fragment
Go to Top of Page

RafterBob
Average Member

USA
131 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  12:33:45  Show Profile Send RafterBob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Hornady Interbond would of held up better I think. Shot placement is a big deal on a Bull Elk. Go heavy for cal and maybe the TTSX or other sturdy bonded bullet like a Swift Shirocco 2 or Nosler Accubond.

Happy Trails

Edited by - RafterBob on Dec 08 2010 12:36:27
Go to Top of Page

Hockeynick39
Advanced Member

USA
3779 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  13:30:30  Show Profile  Send Hockeynick39 an AOL message Send Hockeynick39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will agree with RafterBob. The IL (interlock) is generally for lighter skinned game and the IB (interbond) is built a lot like the Accubond. Forgot about those and they should be a good choice for elk and larger ungulates with thicker hides than standard whitetail.
Go to Top of Page

ranchreloader

10 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  22:17:32  Show Profile Send ranchreloader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for the input, I guess ill try either the accubond or the ttsx and see where I get better accuracy in my rifle
Go to Top of Page

whitefish
Advanced Member

Canada
574 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  22:50:54  Show Profile Send whitefish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ranchreloader, any idea how fast those 140 interlocks were going? Like the guys above said, probably too much to ask for a .270 given the animal size and heavy bone. I wouldn't rule out other heavy bullets like partitions or a-frames. I would include TBBC here too, but I think they are getting scarce. The new Speer Deep Curls might be good too (gonna try these in my 300 WM).

"Keep your stick on the ice". Red Green

Edited by - whitefish on Dec 08 2010 22:51:29
Go to Top of Page

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

2588 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2010 :  18:21:24  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ranch Reloader

The trick to using Hornady Interlocks is to use the heaviest Flat Base in each cal. 150 grain Spire Point puts the Interlock ring further from the bullt tip.

Bobo
Go to Top of Page

Evad
Advanced Member

USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2010 :  20:45:08  Show Profile Send Evad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
+1 Bobo
Dave

I never met a gun I didn't like.
Go to Top of Page

honkerhitter
Advanced Member

Canada
526 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2010 :  02:10:55  Show Profile Send honkerhitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After reading your OP I see why You were taking the high shoulder shot on the elk, It should drop them on the spot. After using the accubond on moose I can tell you yes it will penetrate the shoulder, both lungs, most likely the other shoulder / leg and be found under the hide or in the muscle somewhere. That being said some rifles are a little more particular and the accubond seems to bring this out in them more then some othet bullets. A 140 gr accubond travelling at or close to 2800-3000 fps would be just what the doctor ordered. If your not reloading I would see how the Hornady superformance ammo, with a 130 gr gmx shoots in your rifle. At 150 yrds any of the homogenous (solid) bullets should punch thru to the off side shoulder.

" Use what is known to work, reject what does not work, and add something of your own to make it unique" BRUCE LEE.
Go to Top of Page

Larryh128

25 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2010 :  14:23:42  Show Profile Send Larryh128 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would highly suggest that you try the Barnes TSX or TTSX bullets. 130 gr will work fine as they are slightly longer than a typical lead/copper jacket bullet. Penetration won't be an issue. We can shoot 62 gr TSX's thru both shoulders of a deer at 223 velocity at 250yds so 130's on an elk won't be a problem. Best bullet that I have ever fired as far as terminal performance. I use them in 5 different calibers and wouldn't consider going back. Accuracy is usually very good. Accubonds tend to be slightly more accurate but I can give up 1/2" at 300 yds.
Go to Top of Page

Bluegunner
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  19:02:35  Show Profile Send Bluegunner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love the TSX & TTSX solid coppers! Use the 53gr TSX pushed with 35 gr Varget and it's been smack down time on a number of hogs (20+) up to 350lbs. Lungs shots all, they don't go anywhere!!!
Go to Top of Page

ranchreloader

10 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  09:54:01  Show Profile Send ranchreloader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found a barnes tsx yesterday, of all places while I was splitting firewood. It was in nearly the exact center of a 24" diameter lodgepole pine. Cleaned it up best I could. .308 dia wieghs right at 180 grains. I couldnt get all the wood out from under the petals so it must have lost the tiniest amount of waight for that to be there and still weigh right at 180. Looked like ever picure ive ever seen of a recovered tsx

Ranchreloader
Go to Top of Page

southdakbearfan

USA
307 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  21:35:43  Show Profile Send southdakbearfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I shot a 6 by 5 bull with my 300 win mag pushing a 180 gr Accubond. It was a high shoulder shot, breaking both shoulders and the bullet was under the skin on the off side. This was at 175yds, pushing 3100 fps at the muzzle. 123 gr's left after cleaning up the bullet. Massive internal damage too. I have also shot a cow at 320 yds with this combo. Double lung shot, ran about 75 yds and expired with both lungs being mush. That was my experience anyway. They are a good elk bullet.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06