Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other
 Gunsmither or Rifle Wrecker???
 barrel relining
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

win76
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - May 27 2003 :  01:53:22  Show Profile Send win76 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When looking up load data for 40-65win, no. 5694 Mentioned using the load in a model 1886 Winchester with a relined barrel. I too have an '86 that could use relining because the muzzle is belled. Who does that kind of work?

tbw

USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2003 :  04:50:10  Show Profile Send tbw a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Win76,
Try John Taylor <john@johntaylormachine.com> in Washington state.
He also does rebore work/cut rifling.
Gun List has a number of folks advertising reline work, but John Taylor is the only one I've found that does reboring- it is becoming a lost art.

Good luck, good shooting, God bless.

wraco
Go to Top of Page

win76
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2003 :  03:30:32  Show Profile Send win76 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info;
I think reboring turns the rifle into a 45-70. I checked with someone in Washington state a couple of years ago and that was their suggestion. I'd like to keep it original caliber since only a small number of '86s were chambered for it.

mjb
Go to Top of Page

tbw

USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2003 :  05:05:37  Show Profile Send tbw a Private Message  Reply with Quote
win76,
Just looked thru latest Gun Week. Saw ad for

Beinke & Beinke
4520 Anderson
Klamath Falls, OR 97603
541-882-3371

They specialize in quality barrel relining and 40/65 Win is listed.
I have no experience with these folks, so can't help there.

John Taylor, mentioned earlier, does reline work, also, as I understand. He just finished reboring a rifle for me- 30/30 to 38/55.
Price was 160.00. Said if it was necessary to use a liner the cost would still be under 200.00. This might give you an idea of the cost in general... The man does good work.

Hope this is of some help. Let us all know what happens.

Good luck, good shooting, God bless.

wraco
Go to Top of Page

da-glock

12 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2003 :  12:19:05  Show Profile Send da-glock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i was wondering if it would be practical to consider religning something like a 30-06 ? can it be done ?
Go to Top of Page

Allen Foraker
Average Member

USA
128 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2003 :  17:46:54  Show Profile Send Allen Foraker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Before you consider relining a barrel for a "high-pressure" cartridge, I suggest you read P.O. Ackleys books. I think #2 hits on the subject. There are certain dangers to relining rifle bores, and he shows a picture of one that blew apart. It seems that the liner did not fit perfectly and the gas pressure split it, then separated the liner from the original barrel and sent it into oblivion. I have seen several original (86's, 92's etc.) black powder cartridge rifles with liners and they have no problems at all. The owners think they shoot better than the original barrels. I would not even consider relining any smokeless rifle barrel, except mayabe a .22lr.

Allen

Good judgement comes from experience, which comes from bad judgment!
Go to Top of Page

Great Dane

Denmark
489 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2003 :  09:33:42  Show Profile  Visit Great Dane's Homepage Send Great Dane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Relining is not a lost kind of art ,itīs devastating to these old collectible 86 winchesters. If you want to keep shoting them , then get a new barrel. I have tried relining a couple of 22 and a Mauser HSC 32 acp . The last one blew up after a while in the hands of the customer We tried relining because it was a gun in mint condition but with a bulge inside the barrel and the gun had little stamps from the third REICH. After that i made him a new barrel and stopped relining. But the thing is that if you want to sell a relined gun ,then its not original and thatīs what a collecter wants. Keep the old barrel and get another to shoot with, if you sell it give the buyer both barrels and the value is higher and you have not ruined anything

Great Dane
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06