Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 Measurement
 Tigh 22 Hornet
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RustyD
Average Member

USA
75 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  11:56:21  Show Profile Send RustyD a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of my reloads are hard to close the bolt on and some do not extract w/ the bolt, they need to be pryed out or cleaning rod to get out. WHY? Not hot loads. has the brass grown and what to do or how to measure brass.

RustyD
Average Member

USA
75 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  12:12:24  Show Profile Send RustyD a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guess I am talking headspace? Best tool for this?
Go to Top of Page

ten2six
Advanced Member

USA
3569 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  14:55:06  Show Profile Send ten2six a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rusty D,

My vote always goes to having a case gage for every caliber I reload. It's like having a SAAMI chamber cut into a small cylinder of metal. It will show headspace issue, case length issues, and ensure that loaded rounds will chamber easily (without using your rifle, which is much safer).

The .22 Hornet has very thin walls and it's easy to tear cases, and mis-size (by bumping the shoulder and squirting the case out) them. I do not full length size my .22 Hornet cases. In fact, I "partially" neck size them by adjusting my die to only travel down part of the way into the neck. I check to make sure I have sufficient neck tension to hold the bullets, but this is one caliber that I had trouble with before I went this route. Also, I use a moly powder neck lube when I neck size. I got it from neconos.com, but I do know that Redding makes a version now, too (called Imperial dry neck lube).

All of my sized cases, and all of my loaded rounds get dropped into the case gage...if they fit, they'll feed and chamber in my rifle.

I do have the Stoney Point (now Hornady) headspace set, which is what I prefer to use if I'm going to measure things, but you'll need to use this as a comparative tool (having a well fitting case...comparing it to the rounds you size, and/or load).

Anyway, I hope this info helps. If you have questions, just let me know.

ten

"Chances are, when we meet intelligent life forms in outer space, they're going to be descended from predators."
- Michio Kaku
Go to Top of Page

Dom

Germany
2030 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  01:47:29  Show Profile Send Dom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had this issue occassionally also -- more so when I only neck sized so I went to full length and now only get a couple out of a hundred that I can't close the bolt. I just chalked it up to a "Hornet peculiarity" and am quite sure it is because the neck is keeping the round from fully chambering. This is in an Anschutz, so I have two other hornet rifles and just fire them in them for practice. When I go to a comp shoot, I chamber my rounds before leaving home, as you place your five rounds in the block on the shooting table and that is not a good time to be fumbling around with a round that won't chamber, exchanging, etc .

For the record, I'm using RWS brass, which is thicker then Rem/Win/other . . .

I haven't fixed it, but have limited the number of "misfits" . . .

I need to get me one of those "case guages" Ten, thanks for helping me spend my money Waidmannsheil, Dom.
Go to Top of Page

RustyD
Average Member

USA
75 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  07:57:04  Show Profile Send RustyD a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have neck sized these for about 2 maybe 3 reloads I am guessing.

I did some measuring tonite and its not case length(1.39-1.40). It seemed to be the case body at its widest at near the base a bit above the rim. If it was .293 or less (lowest being .291) it fit chamber. The ones that were .2935 to .294 were too tight and did not extract. FL sizing brought it back to around <.293 and they fit.
Does Hornet Brass just swell these easy? Is this normal Hornet issues?

Yes I thought I had a case gauge as I have one for my AR when I had the barrel cut so its the same tight tolerances as the rifle.

I have been looking for Hornet case best place & brand to buy?

Where do you get RWS brass?
Go to Top of Page

Dom

Germany
2030 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  10:42:18  Show Profile Send Dom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I get RWS Brass from some shooters who don't reload, it is bought new, they fire it and save it for me. I'll have to look around for a case guage, maybe Ten has a source in mind.
Go to Top of Page

ten2six
Advanced Member

USA
3569 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  11:01:24  Show Profile Send ten2six a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All of mine are L.E. Wilson case gages. I think they started selling directly to the public recently, but they charge more ($36) than the vendors they sell through.

I looked for the .22 Hornet case gage. MidwayUSA ($24.99) and Sinclair International ($26.99, and which is now Brownells, too) are the best places to order them from. I was able to find an unusual handgun caliber case gage through Dillon that no one else carried, so sometimes you have to do some web searching, but Midway an Sinclair both carry the Hornet's.

Case gages are like a crutch for me. I have them in all the calibers I reload. I have measuring tools of many varieties, but case gages are so simple, and 100% effective. It's so easy to throw sized cases and loaded rounds in them to check for feed and fit. I hate getting to the range (which is 20+ miles away) and having rounds I can't chamber and shoot. Now that I'm loading handgun ammo, it's even more important...

Sorry to help you spend your money, Dom, but in the end you may thank me....

"Chances are, when we meet intelligent life forms in outer space, they're going to be descended from predators."
- Michio Kaku
Go to Top of Page

RustyD
Average Member

USA
75 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  12:04:35  Show Profile Send RustyD a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will order this. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=551522

But what about these?https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000690111

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=479704

Edited by - RustyD on Dec 29 2010 12:06:51
Go to Top of Page

Dom

Germany
2030 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  14:44:16  Show Profile Send Dom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RustyD, yes, the LE Wilson is the correct item, have to get me one thanks to Ten; however I'll need about 40 of them and that ain't gonna happen overnight

I'm not familiar with the Case Length Guage from Midsouth so can't comment on exactly what it does - all my cases are trimmed to under max. The Headspace Gage looks interesting, so many gadgets, so little time
Go to Top of Page

RustyD
Average Member

USA
75 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  14:52:21  Show Profile Send RustyD a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The case lenght trim gauge from Lee @ midsouth keeps you from trimming too much or trim the same for each case. So time to buy a wilson. I hear the Wilsons did not do good for pistol cal I believe. or was that the Lee case trimmer gauge, too many gauges, confusing.

I had a case gauge made for my .223 from the extra barrel blank when I had my AR barrel cut, that was nice and cheap and it matchs my chamber exactly.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06