Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 Load request
 LeverEvolution powder
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hockeynick39
Advanced Member

USA
3780 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  17:13:52  Show Profile  Send Hockeynick39 an AOL message Send Hockeynick39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got a pound of this powder about a month ago and have been waiting on my bullets to come in so I can load some up for testing. I looked at the data from Hodgdon's website and the side of the container. I will be loading Nosler Partition 170 gr RNs and the data states 36.3C for the max load. The brass that I will be using is Winchester. I put some of this powder into my Chargemaster, calibrated and loaded a case at 36.3C to see where it would end up. The powder made it to the bottom of the neck, this would hardly seem to be compressed if my measurments are correct with the length of the bullet and the seating depth of the bullet in the case neck. I'm going to run a standard test with the load data presented, but am thinking about upping the charge about .5 grains at a time until I see signs of pressure. According to the manuals that I have 38,100 CUP seems to be the max pressure for most .30-30 lever action rifles. The 36.3C load Hodgdon's states in their data is 35,400 CUP.
Any thoughts on this or has anyone tried this powder yet? Also curious if the QL 3.6 has this listed yet or if it is in the works for this Spring/ Summer.

ten2six
Advanced Member

USA
3569 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  18:57:46  Show Profile Send ten2six a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not in the QL data, yet. The new update had IMR 8208XBR and Trail Boss, but not SuperPerformance or LeverEvolution.

I picked up a pound of each a few weeks ago. I also bought the Hornady FTX bullets (160 gr) and loaded LeverEvolution ammo. I'm going to pound a bullet out and weigh the factory charge, then try to duplicate it and take them both out to the range to test them. If I can get some extra 'vroom' and better accuracy in my Win 94 I'll be happy...

"Chances are, when we meet intelligent life forms in outer space, they're going to be descended from predators."
- Michio Kaku
Go to Top of Page

Hockeynick39
Advanced Member

USA
3780 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  12:28:13  Show Profile  Send Hockeynick39 an AOL message Send Hockeynick39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking about getting a box of those FTX's and pulling the bullet as well. Let me know what you come up with. I have a few other ideas too. Plus am thinking real hard about getting the QL as soon as the new data is published with it (3.7version?).
Go to Top of Page

SamT

398 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  14:20:20  Show Profile Send SamT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm interested in this also.

Has anyone chronyed some of the factory 160gr ftx loads? I can't get close to their claimed velocity in my 336, I haven;t tried hard, but seems most factory ammo is well below (-150fps) of what they claim as velocity.
Go to Top of Page

SamT

398 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  14:22:41  Show Profile Send SamT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just looked an I was thinking the MV of the factory loads were faster than 2046, I was shooting for 2400fps, donno where I got that
Go to Top of Page

Hockeynick39
Advanced Member

USA
3780 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  16:23:02  Show Profile  Send Hockeynick39 an AOL message Send Hockeynick39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I remember correctly, the test barrels were 24" long and my Marlin 336 only has a 20" barrel. If you figure the average 10-25 fps less per inch, then in a 20" bbl the velocity would be closer to 2300 fps +/- a few fps. I have loads right now using H4895 and the FTXs that are moving about 2100 fps, and am not happy with accuracy or performance even though it is around 1 1/2" group at 100 yards.
Go to Top of Page

Meaghercamp
Advanced Member

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  20:46:22  Show Profile Send Meaghercamp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey 'Nick, Have been wanting to load the same for my '94. The Partition is a little long, and the crimp cannular is far up on the bearing surface of the bullet. I did a little testing on the COL with the Nos Part 170 30-30 bullet, and in the model 94 you only have about 3/32" to play with. Meaning you can only lengthen the round by 3/32" before it hangs up in the mag tube. So very little extra powder room available there. The data I have seen gives flat base bullets a velocity edge over boattails due to the powder room.

Have the Nos Part, no LeverEvolution yet. Want to load some 160gr cast over Trail Boss as well. Got the powder, no bullets. Oh well.

Let us know you results.

It's all about Action and Adventure! Go out and get some!
Go to Top of Page

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

2594 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2011 :  10:11:20  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chrony info:

The "Shooting Times" October 2010 issue used a Marlin 336 Lever action 30-30 Win with a 20" barrel and Re-Loaded the same with store bought Hornady 160 grain FTX and LeverEvolution powder.

I posted the following under the un-verified load section ID # 6720.

35.5 grains gave 2,355 fps. The Factory load ran at 2,336 fps.

Bobo
Go to Top of Page

SamT

398 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2011 :  11:05:02  Show Profile Send SamT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats good velocity for 30-30. I'm curious what sort of velocity you could get in a AI.
Go to Top of Page

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

2594 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2011 :  17:00:50  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dug up the old Magazine and entered them here as Load ID # 6818 & 6819.

30-30 Win
Rossi Rio Grande Lever with 20" barrel:

38.5 gr LeverEvolution with 150 gr Sierra FN at 2,449 fps.
36.0 gr LeverEvolution with 170 gr Nosler Partition RN at 2,310 fps.

Factory Loads
150 gr Federal Fusion at 2,279 fps
170 gr Win Silver Tip at 2,168 fps.

The 170 grain Nosler re-load is going faster than the 150 gr Factory load.

Bobo

Bobo
Go to Top of Page

Hockeynick39
Advanced Member

USA
3780 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2011 :  19:37:23  Show Profile  Send Hockeynick39 an AOL message Send Hockeynick39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info Bobo. Been socked in with weather and my bullets haven't made it here yet, sooooo.
Go to Top of Page

ten2six
Advanced Member

USA
3569 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  14:42:25  Show Profile Send ten2six a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did a bullet pull/measure this morning with the Hornady factory .30-30 LeverEvolution ammo. This is the 160 gr FTX bullet.

I pulled 5, so the numbers below are my averages. A word of caution though...my RCBS inertia bullet pulling hammer has a collet designed for cases with extractor grooves. Imagine my surprise when the first cartridge went flying across the garage.....lol.... Nothing a little duct tape didn't solve, though...

Case length: 2.03"
Base to tip of bullet OAL: 2.540"
Total wt of loaded round: 343.29 gr
Bullet wt: 159.94 gr
Case wt: 147.69 gr
Charge wt: 35.66 gr

The box of ammo gives a MV of 2400 fps. Now that's funny, because the Hornady (8th) manual has a load range up to 37.0 gr and a max velocity of 2300 fps. The powder charge in the loaded ammo would likely be around 2240 fps, if you extrapolate from the manual data.

I will chrono some rounds from my Win 94 when the weather cooperates....

ten

"Chances are, when we meet intelligent life forms in outer space, they're going to be descended from predators."
- Michio Kaku
Go to Top of Page

Hockeynick39
Advanced Member

USA
3780 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  15:16:30  Show Profile  Send Hockeynick39 an AOL message Send Hockeynick39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The plot thickens! Time for the weather to change dang it. Also looking at getting some more FTXs for the testing too. I wonder how much of a spread we will all have after this?
Go to Top of Page

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

2594 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  17:35:12  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Time for an Indian Summer?

Bobo
Go to Top of Page

hub
Average Member

84 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  01:25:58  Show Profile Send hub a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I pulled the bullet from a 160FTX load some time back and also got a powder charge of 35.6 grains. My chrony showed factory ammo running along at 2330 FPS from my 336W. So with that info I proceeded to try H-4895 in hopes of duplicating factory velocity. I worked up to 32.0 grains which went 2360 fps . This was with win brass and primers and the FTX bullet. I was surprised there was no sticky lever at all. However the primers showed the ole pressure signes telling me 32 grains is too much. At this point I consider 31.0 max in my rifle with the primers and brass I used. Another thing I found when weight sorting win, rem and hornady brass. The hornady brass is 8 to 10 grains heavier than either the win or the remmy brass therefore a max load in win brass would be most likely overmax in hornady brass. ten2six,I got 137 grains for brass weight for hornady brass, is that about what you got. You wrote you got 147. Something is fishy. Any how I,m reading on another forum the LE powder is hard to beat. Others are getting better accuracy with right around 35 grains of LE. My loads are fast but not accurate. However I think I found a problem with the rifle that could have been causing my accuracy problems. The front barrel band screw was way too tight. Hopefully after readjusting to just barely snug the rifle will shoot. If that was not the problem I,ll also be going for the LE powder asap. This 30:30 stuff is fun.
Go to Top of Page

Hockeynick39
Advanced Member

USA
3780 Posts

Posted - May 13 2011 :  13:32:14  Show Profile  Send Hockeynick39 an AOL message Send Hockeynick39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did some pressure testing in the Marlin 336W. The loads were: R-P brass, 160 gr FTX, CCI 200 LR, 37.5 gr - 41.7 gr LeverEvolution, and COL of 2.550". I fired loads up to 40.5 grs (the lever was getting a little difficult to open) with pressure signs (cratering and bolt face marks on the head stamp) at 39.5 gr. I will be ladder testing for accuracy starting at 36 gr to 39 gr in .5 gr increments for accuracy with this load. I also did some pressure tests with some 170 gr noslers and the pressure signs began at 39 gr. These were loaded almost identical to the FTX loads except were .5 gr less for a powder charge (37 gr - 41.2 gr). I will also be loading a ladder for accuracy with the 170 gr Noslers as wellm beginning at 35.5 gr - 38.5 gr of LeverEvolution in .5 gr increments. Once the chrony comes in, I will be publishing the speed for the most accurate of each load. As of right now, the FTX bullets appear to be more accurate than the 170 gr Noslers.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06