Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Reloading General
 Load request
 Superformance Powder
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

steveshiver
New Member

27 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  09:30:22  Show Profile Send steveshiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have always liked Hornady light magnum ammo. Of course, they discontinued it in favor of the superformance line which boasts to be about 200 fps faster than other loads due to a special blend of powders which do not exceed pressure limits. I bought a pound and hoped to load .308 and 30-06. but can find no data for these rounds.On the label are formulas for 22-250, 243Win, and 300 WSM, only. /no info on Hodgdon websit for this either. So, I pose two questions: Since Hornady offers ammo in .308 and 30-06 there are obviously loads for these rounds. So, does it follow that you could pull the bullets of factory ammo, weigh the powder and work up a load based on this? Question 2: Since this is blended powder is it possible that different blends are used for different cartridges? In other words is all SF powder the same blend? Thanks for considering this question. Any thoughts appreciated.

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

2559 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2011 :  17:14:10  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A complicated answer to a simple question:

Hornady uses a dozen different blends to cover the factory loads.

The "Superformance" powder available now is just one of them. Check the Hornady 8 th Edition for additional info. This powder is close to IMR-4831 loading data and would work in the '06 with 180 to 220 grain bullets. Too slow for the .308 Win. "Leverevolution" powder would better suite the .308 and loads simalar to IMR-4895.
Go to Top of Page

Hockeynick39
Advanced Member



USA
3691 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  12:21:25  Show Profile  Send Hockeynick39 an AOL message Send Hockeynick39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did some preliminary testing with the Superformance powder and a Sierra 75 gr HP at COL 2.710", with max being 49 gr of powder. Don't own a chronograph yet, so I don't know what the actual speed is coming out of the 20" Weatherby Vanguard barrel. The data used for the Hodgdon test was accomploished with a 24" barrel and lists a speed of 3510 fps with the 49 gr max of Superformance. The group measured (outside diameter) about .690", showing no pressure signs, which was pretty good compared to the Varget load with the same bullet. QL lists 43.2 gr Varget, Sierra 75 gr HP, and a COL 2.710" as pushing 3208 fps from a 20" barrel. I was beginning to show some pressure signs (minor cratering of primer) signs with this load. The best group came from 43 gr of Varget that measured (outside diameter) .863". QL doesn't list Superformance data as of yet and will be doing a pressure test this afternoon with loads from 49.5 gr to 51.5 gr in .5 gr increments. Once I reach the upper limit, I plan on backing off a gr or 2 and re-working some loads. The Hodgdon data just seems a little on the soft side (legalities of course) that's why I tested it against the Varget. Besides being on the soft side the speed with equivilent data to QL doesn't add up. Just wish I had a chronograph, oooohh I have a b-day coming up. Looks like I need to be on my best behavior.
Go to Top of Page

Hockeynick39
Advanced Member



USA
3691 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  12:26:19  Show Profile  Send Hockeynick39 an AOL message Send Hockeynick39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just re-read last post and forgot to mention the testing was done with the .243 Winchester cartridge.
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
5226 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  12:40:37  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hockeynick39

Did some preliminary testing with the Superformance powder and a Sierra 75 gr HP at COL 2.710", with max being 49 gr of powder. Don't own a chronograph yet, so I don't know what the actual speed is coming out of the 20" Weatherby Vanguard barrel. The data used for the Hodgdon test was accomploished with a 24" barrel and lists a speed of 3510 fps with the 49 gr max of Superformance. The group measured (outside diameter) about .690", showing no pressure signs, which was pretty good compared to the Varget load with the same bullet. QL lists 43.2 gr Varget, Sierra 75 gr HP, and a COL 2.710" as pushing 3208 fps from a 20" barrel. I was beginning to show some pressure signs (minor cratering of primer) signs with this load. The best group came from 43 gr of Varget that measured (outside diameter) .863". QL doesn't list Superformance data as of yet and will be doing a pressure test this afternoon with loads from 49.5 gr to 51.5 gr in .5 gr increments. Once I reach the upper limit, I plan on backing off a gr or 2 and re-working some loads. The Hodgdon data just seems a little on the soft side (legalities of course) that's why I tested it against the Varget. Besides being on the soft side the speed with equivilent data to QL doesn't add up. Just wish I had a chronograph, oooohh I have a b-day coming up. Looks like I need to be on my best behavior.



You really need to invest in a chronograph. They are available at less than $100.00. Would make your posts credible.
Go to Top of Page

Hockeynick39
Advanced Member



USA
3691 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  14:16:24  Show Profile  Send Hockeynick39 an AOL message Send Hockeynick39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And how would that make my posts any more credible than they are now? Not disgruntled or anything, but if I did chronograph with the 20" barrel, how would that be relevant to someone who has a 24" barrel? Just something to kind of think about too. That was one reason why I used the known data for the Varget because there isn't a whole lot of data for the Superformance yet. Besides that, even with chronographs there is a severe variance in models because of outside interference of the electronics. Someday in the future, someday, I will own a chronograph......
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
5226 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  16:33:20  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I shoot a lot of 18, 20 and 22" barrels. Because of this, to optimise my loads, I work with many mid-range rifle powders instead of the slower powders. By doing such I very often attain velocities close or equal to what is posted for 24 and 26 inch barrels in the manuals. Without a chrono, I'd be shooting in the dark. I encourage every reloader to get a chronograph. We need them....

Also the reloading manuals are just a guide and I find very "velocity optimistic". Especially the newer printed ones.

Edited by - Shastaboat on May 09 2011 16:36:37
Go to Top of Page

Hockeynick39
Advanced Member



USA
3691 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  20:39:43  Show Profile  Send Hockeynick39 an AOL message Send Hockeynick39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's it! You twisted my arm Shastaboat. Chrony will be here next week, giggity, giggity!!!!
Go to Top of Page

budlight
Advanced Member



USA
930 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  09:25:12  Show Profile Send budlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use superperformance powder. It does just what the burn rate chart tells you. It is not suitable for loads requiring faster burn rates.

I was chrono testing superperformance powder in 243 and 270 wins. With 100 grain 243 you end up filling the case to the neck and get about 3180 fps Faster powders on the burn rate chart like 4831 and hodgdon Hybred 100V exceed 3200 fps.

There is a point where the burn rate is so slow that you can't put enough powder in the case to create sufficient pressure to drive a bullet very fast. 308 has very little case capacity for the bore size. I shot the 308 when in the military. It's just a plinking round compared to the 300 win mag or ultra mags. It is defeated by thin armor aluminum
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
5226 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  11:05:26  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hockeynick39

That's it! You twisted my arm Shastaboat. Chrony will be here next week, giggity, giggity!!!!



RIGHT ON!
Go to Top of Page

Ds28
Moderator



USA
3279 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  21:58:45  Show Profile Send Ds28 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hockeynick39

That's it! You twisted my arm Shastaboat. Chrony will be here next week, giggity, giggity!!!!



you will not regret buying a lie detector...I mean a crony I think every loader should have one

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Go to Top of Page

Hockeynick39
Advanced Member



USA
3691 Posts

Posted - May 13 2011 :  13:08:08  Show Profile  Send Hockeynick39 an AOL message Send Hockeynick39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well... just got back from the range after doing the pressure testing in my rifles. Weatherby Vanguard in .243 Win and a Marlin 336W in .30-30 Win. The Superformance loads I tested for the .243 were from 49.5 gr - 51. 5 gr with a 75 gr Sierra HP Varminter. Started to show signs at 51 gr, so I stopped there (didn't want to unnecessarily sieze the bolt). Won't know what my speed will be until the chrony gets in. I will be staying with the 49 gr of Superformance as the varmint load for that rifle, as it posted the best accuracy. Will be posting comments on the Marlin for LeverEvolution on another page.
Go to Top of Page

budlight
Advanced Member



USA
930 Posts

Posted - May 13 2011 :  15:40:28  Show Profile Send budlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hockeynick39

Well... just got back from the range after doing the pressure testing in my rifles. Weatherby Vanguard in .243 Win and a Marlin 336W in .30-30 Win. The Superformance loads I tested for the .243 were from 49.5 gr - 51. 5 gr with a 75 gr Sierra HP Varminter. Started to show signs at 51 gr, so I stopped there (didn't want to unnecessarily sieze the bolt). Won't know what my speed will be until the chrony gets in. I will be staying with the 49 gr of Superformance as the varmint load for that rifle, as it posted the best accuracy. Will be posting comments on the Marlin for LeverEvolution on another page.



Like I posted above h Superperformance is a slow powder on the burn rate chart. It is not suited for a 243 75 grain. The H100V h414, A2700 can make the 75's really go fast with only midish 40 grains. When you get the chrono in, it will clear up any questions.

Edited by - budlight on May 13 2011 17:47:03
Go to Top of Page

Hockeynick39
Advanced Member



USA
3691 Posts

Posted - May 13 2011 :  19:48:04  Show Profile  Send Hockeynick39 an AOL message Send Hockeynick39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well if it is not for the .243 Win., then someone needs to read the Hornady 8th Edition Reloading book. The only loads for this batch of Superformance is for the .243 Win., .300 Win Mag, and about 2 other cartridges I can't think of right now. Also the only loads it shows for the .243 Win. is for the 70 gr and 75 gr Hornady bullets. It even has the load data for these on the outside of the powder keg. I did, however, get a pretty decent load with Varget that shot about 1/2" group (outside measurement) and by the QL data base was supposed to be pushing aroun 3104 fps.
Go to Top of Page

budlight
Advanced Member



USA
930 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  02:39:42  Show Profile Send budlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've used 8 different types of powder with 243 70 hp tnt's. Varget being the fastest burn could do a hair over 3500 fps before the primer gets too flat. a2700 with about 4 more grains of powder exceeds 3600 Hodgdon HYBRID 100V took 6 more grains to get 3500 fps. But I did not pursue it futher because the cases were nearly full to the neck. Compressed loads could have got a 70 hp to 3600

a2700 won the contest. So I backed it off .6 grains and get great case life with very consistant 3550 average. All cci 200 primers and new nickel cases

Hodgdon HYBRID 100V on the label claims 100 grain 3100 fps with 43.7 I never got 3000 fps with my 26 inch barrel. but just go a little over 2 grains more and the 100's are going 3200 fps. The other test powders in the 100 grain bullet group were a2700, R19, imr4831, ram shot hunter, a3100, r-22. The winner is probably imr 4831 or ram shot hunter

Hodgdon SUPERFORMANCE is so slow that I only ran it behind 105 and 107 and I was a little dissappointed when the primers were pretty flat and the speed was only a little over 3000 My other test rounds used r-22 and 7828 When it is fine tuned in 7828 will probably be the winner

Edited by - budlight on May 15 2011 10:03:29
Go to Top of Page

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

2559 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  09:23:43  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
.243 Win with 70 and 75 grain bullets, Reloder 17 has given me velocity's off the chart and one hole groups at 100 yards. I used Rem brass and Fed 210 Match primers.

Most Powder company data is with tight chambered pressure barrels and can get higher velocity with lighter bullets. Superformance powder is probably better suited to 85 - 100 grain bullet range in the .243 Win in my opinion unless you have a Match Grade barrel.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06