Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Hunting
 Bullet performance
 Berger Bullets in 300 RUM
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

WYO300RUM
Average Member

USA
94 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  18:16:18  Show Profile Send WYO300RUM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anybody out there shot Berger VLD bullets in their 300 RUM ? If so, did the 175 thru 190 gr. shoot well from their Rem Mod. 700 with the 26 in. 1 in 10 in. twist barrel ? I know they recommend 1 in 13 for the 175, 1 in 12 for the 185 and 190 and 1 in 11 for the 210 gr. I've been using Barnes 180 gr. TSX for yrs. and the TTSX for the last couple with great accuracy and kills. I do weigh all bullets,cases and powder charges. Been using Nosler and Federal cases and Fed. mag primers and just tried some Fed. match mag primers. I've been using 100.0 grs. of Retumbo with as tight as .255 to 3.80 in groups. loads ave. 3419 fps. I'm just wondering if I should buy some because of the twist rate issue. I know Barnes recommends something like 1 in 11 or 12 in twist for their 180 TTSX but they have shot awesome in my 300 RUM and their 140 TTSX with 69.0 grs. of RL22 at 3303 fps ave. shoots .310 in my Ruger MK II 7 Rem mag. If someone has tried the Berger VLD in their 300 RUM I would really appreciate their results.I know someone is going to say shoot the 210 gr. and stop worrying !
Thanks, Don

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

2548 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  20:27:27  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are some guys here that have shot game with Berger VLD's. Give them a little time and they will give there experiences.
Go to Top of Page

mtmuley
Advanced Member

USA
1480 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  21:12:01  Show Profile Send mtmuley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You shouldn't have any issues with the 190 in a 10 twist barrel. I bought a box before all the craze came about. It states "For 1 in 12" twist or faster" on the box. I tried to upload a pic of a group I fired with my best Berger load, but I can't get it to upload. I could email it to ya if you're interested. mtmuley
Go to Top of Page

WYO300RUM
Average Member

USA
94 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  19:51:48  Show Profile Send WYO300RUM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
mtmuley (like your screen name !) I would like to see pics of the group if not any trouble. I'm guessing it was a 300 Rum also ? What was your load combo ? If I can figure out how to upload pics I'll send you a couple I got with 180 gr. Barnes TTSX w/100.0 grs. Retumbo. Fed. case and primer. I still am in shock. I shot the 180 TSX for a few yrs. before Nov. 2009 and it was my most accurate bullet but the TTSX is even more so. Yeah, I've been reading about all the hoopla on Berger bullets. I would like to try them once at least. I'm sure they would perform on elk,deer and antelope as well as the TSX and TTSX. I've even used the old X and XBT on game. Their accuracy sucked though. I had one load with 168 gr. XBT moly that shot ok. Shot a bighorn with it a 306 yards and polaxed him. a couple yrs. ago I shot a 6x6 bull at 544 yds. with a 180 gr. TSX. Shattered his front leg bone and clipped his heart. He went down instantly. Last year shot a buck antelope at 443 yds with 180 gr. TTSX. he never took a step. I should have kept track of how many one shot kills I've gotten with TSX and TTSX and sent them to Barnes with pics. Maybe they would have sent me a box of bullets... Got a lot of other 1 shot kills with Barnes bullets but a no major distance. I go by their place every year but have never stopped. I'd like to try a Berger on a buck this yr. if I get a load to shoot good with it. Thanks for reply and look forward to your pics/loads.Sorry for rambling on about shots !
Don
Go to Top of Page

WYO300RUM
Average Member

USA
94 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  19:55:27  Show Profile Send WYO300RUM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bobo. I thought they were just shunning the new guy...
thanks for the encouragement ! If they would well I'd like to try them in my 7 mag also. Mainly shoot the 300 RUM though. I bet YOU have a good load for a 7 Rem mag with Bergers...
Go to Top of Page

Utefan
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  02:41:35  Show Profile Send Utefan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everywhere you go it seems to be one person's opinion over the next... I think that you can get good results with just about any of the myriad of choices out there for the .300 RUM, I was a nosler homer until my dad loaded some bergers and barnes bullets and pulled a switch on me and they shoot great too, you just have to be willing and patient to keep trying till you get it just right for your gun. Ultimately I am going to continue to be a Nosler Accubond fan, but I will also recognize that other bullets can achieve good results as well
Go to Top of Page

WYO300RUM
Average Member

USA
94 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  15:18:50  Show Profile Send WYO300RUM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Utefan, The Accubonds have shot well in my 7 mag but with the same loads the TTSX is quite a bit more accurate in my gun. I haven't tried Accubonds in my 300 RUM yet. I should get some 180 gr. and use the same load and see what happens. I like the bone smashing/penetration of the Triple Shoks though. On deer it wouldn't make much difference.Are the Berger's a bonded bullet or solid copper/alloy ? I tried some 180 gr. Nosler E-Tips in the 300 with the same load and had way too much pressure. Funny thing, Swift Sciroco's attain more pressure also compared to Hornady GMX, Accubonds, Hornady Interbonds,Barnes TSX. Same in my 7 mag. ??? Maybe more bearing surface on the bullet ? I know the grooves in the Barnes TSX and Hornady GMX relieved pressure compared to the old Barnes.
Go to Top of Page

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

2548 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  17:35:35  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wyo300RUM

I used the Sierra 168 grain HPBT Matchking with H4831 and H870 back in the early 1980's for long range work on Antelope, WT and Mule Deer till Nosler came out with the Ballistic Tip.

I use 68.0 grains of RL-25 or 72.0 grains of Retumbo under 175 grain Kodiak's, Nosler's and Hornady Spire Point Interlocks nowdays out of my Browning A-Bolt SS in 7mm RM. Same charges would be close with 168 grain Bergers. The thought has crossed my mind as I do like to experiment.
Go to Top of Page

WYO300RUM
Average Member

USA
94 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  17:18:33  Show Profile Send WYO300RUM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BoBo, thanks for the info. I've read here a couple times about using Retumbo in the 7 mag. I figured most likely for 160 gr. and heavier. Do you have a good load for 160, etc. with Retumbo ?
Go to Top of Page

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

2548 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  23:12:04  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WYO300RUM

7mm Rem Mag with Hodgdon "Retumbo" powder.

With Rem Brass and CCI-250 Mag primers

175 grain Hornady Spire Point Interlock at 3.36 OAL 72.0 grains gives me 2,920 fps.
160 grain Nosler Accubond at 3.36" OAL and 74.0 grains gives me 3,060 fps.

The beauty of Retumbo is it's right at 100% load ratio. The powder stays in place and gets hit solid with the primer.

Retumbo varies a grain or two from lot-to-lot. Work up and Chrono along the trail.
Go to Top of Page

WYO300RUM
Average Member

USA
94 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  16:18:15  Show Profile Send WYO300RUM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bobo.
I've been using it in my 300 RUM for awhile now and in it's the most accurate powder and highest velocity. With max load shooting .250 to .380 groups , what more can I ask for ? Do you have an idea what powder gives your 7 mag the best combo of accuracy/highest velocity? I'll try your 160 gr. accubond load for sure.
Thanks !
Go to Top of Page

Fred_C_Dobbs
Advanced Member

678 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  18:58:43  Show Profile Send Fred_C_Dobbs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 175-gr Tactical OTM (30105) was designed to be stable making the transonic transition, which adds at least 250 yards to its effective range. I've just bought a box to test against 178-gr A-Maxes in my .308.

I'll bet ya a hundred and five thousand dollars you go to sleep before I do.
-- Dobbsie
Go to Top of Page

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

2548 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  20:05:09  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WYO300RUM

7mm RM

RL-25 with Retumbo on it's heels for 154 to 175 grain bullets.

RL-22 for 140 grainers and RL-19 for 120's.

Thinking about using Alliant Reloder-50 in my 7mm STW with 168 grain Bergers/ 175 grain Nosler Partitions. No reloading data but thats why God created Chrony's.

Have fun.

Go to Top of Page

WYO300RUM
Average Member

USA
94 Posts

Posted - May 05 2011 :  18:02:00  Show Profile Send WYO300RUM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BoBo,
I haven't heard of Alliant RL50. Probably made for .50 cal ? Wonder if anybody has tried it in a 300 RUM ? From what I read/heard about Hodgdon's H50BMG , it doesn't work well in the 300 RUM. I should just be satisfied with the great results of Retumbo in it. That's why I want to try in in my 7mm Rem mag. I thought it would be a little to slow but it appears not.
Go to Top of Page

huntnmoon
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  11:47:13  Show Profile Send huntnmoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey I just joined so I could get a few tips from this thread. Got a reloader for Chrismas in 1996 and its still in the box except for the Speer manual. Im primarilly a bow hunter but haven't been able to coax a mature bull into giving me an acceptable shot so I'm making concessions here. I bought a Remington Left Hand BDL 300 RUM at a good price and I was thinking about having the action used to build a custom left hand rifle or keep it as is for a while since its new. I do have some rifle experience. I have a Rem BDL 7 mag and I can shoot an occasional 1 1/2 inch groop at 200 yds with federal factory if I set at the bench long enough. I noticed mtmuley has been shooting the 300 for some time now and continues to mention the same loading data on several threads. I would particurlly like to here any tips that you might have and a description of the rifle. Thanks for listening!
Go to Top of Page

WYO300RUM
Average Member

USA
94 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  18:35:53  Show Profile Send WYO300RUM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by huntnmoon

Hey I just joined so I could get a few tips from this thread. Got a reloader for Chrismas in 1996 and its still in the box except for the Speer manual. Im primarilly a bow hunter but haven't been able to coax a mature bull into giving me an acceptable shot so I'm making concessions here. I bought a Remington Left Hand BDL 300 RUM at a good price and I was thinking about having the action used to build a custom left hand rifle or keep it as is for a while since its new. I do have some rifle experience. I have a Rem BDL 7 mag and I can shoot an occasional 1 1/2 inch groop at 200 yds with federal factory if I set at the bench long enough. I noticed mtmuley has been shooting the 300 for some time now and continues to mention the same loading data on several threads. I would particurlly like to here any tips that you might have and a description of the rifle. Thanks for listening!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06