Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 Load request
 .308 load for Berger 210 grain VLD
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LapuaMile
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - May 08 2011 :  13:05:41  Show Profile Send LapuaMile a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Does anyone have any suggestions for .308 loads on the 210 grain Berger vld?

I'd like to use Varget, if possible.

Yes, I. Now this is a really heavy bullet for the .308, but I'm in love with the BC. The stability formula comes out just about right at 1.4, so I think I should be fine with my 1:11 twist barrel.

Thanks.

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

2559 Posts

Posted - May 08 2011 :  15:47:16  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the "Nest" LapuaMile.

Click the "Rifle Load" blue box above, then .308 Win, then scroll down to the Un-Verified load section and click on load ID # 4733, the results are as follows:

Rem case plus a CCI-200 pimer and 41.5 grains of Varget with the 210 grain Berger at 3.00" OAL gives 2,450 fps.

Some guys have been using RL-17 here lately with heavy bullets.

Go to Top of Page

Ds28

USA
3279 Posts

Posted - May 08 2011 :  20:33:42  Show Profile Send Ds28 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what kind of gun are you shooting it out of? I have a REM 5R with a 1-11.25" and I did pretty good with RL17 and the 208 AMAX and the 210 berger. The load data was almost identical just start a little low and work up

http://reloadersnest.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13636&SearchTerms=RL17

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Go to Top of Page

LapuaMile
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - May 08 2011 :  23:28:56  Show Profile Send LapuaMile a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm shooting a Desert Tactical SRS for this load.

Have you noticed any temperature sensitivity with the R17?

I'm a big fan of Varget, because it seems to be a bit more stable. 44 grains gave me consistent .25" groups with the Barnes Banded Solid Spitzers. I'm hoping it will yield similar results with the big Bergers.
Go to Top of Page

eric2381
Advanced Member

Canada
2020 Posts

Posted - May 08 2011 :  23:56:02  Show Profile Send eric2381 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RL 17 has been the ticket for me with the 200gr smk. 2730dps outta my 30", 1-10" barrel. Great accuracy too

I've never saw a hearse with a luggage rack....
Go to Top of Page

budlight
Advanced Member

USA
931 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  11:00:14  Show Profile Send budlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IMO - You have too many things wrong. Too slow of twist for a long bullet. Too slow in FPS. The case/action is designed for short bullets.

Your bullet will get seated way into the case. Not in the neck where it needs to be. The ignition pressure is around the bullet not behind.

Massive bullet drop requires angled scope mounts like the ones used by the 1000 yard guys. typical mil dot scope can not compensate for that many inches of drop.
Go to Top of Page

Tom S.

USA
383 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  12:40:28  Show Profile Send Tom S. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sent me you email address and I'll send you a copy of the information Berger sent me, which includes Varget. I tried to insert it here, but it comes out jumbled up.
Go to Top of Page

LapuaMile
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  20:51:33  Show Profile Send LapuaMile a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the stability front, it will be close. Currently the gyroscopic stability factor of this bullet is 1.36 given the conditions. 1.4 is the threshold where you allegedly go from Marginal Stability, to Comfortable Stability, so it's a test and see situation.

In terms of the length situation, I'm not that concerned. My mag. and gun are built for long range, and I can have an overall length of 3" and still feed from the mag.

In regards to the scope situation, I am also not concern. It's not my first trip to the rodeo... I'm shooting a nightforce 5-22x56, on a 30MOA taper base. I can make adjustments beyond where my expertise and the conditions will likely allow.

I guess there's only one way to answer the stability question for sure, and that's at the range. There in lies the fun!
Go to Top of Page

LapuaMile
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  20:54:39  Show Profile Send LapuaMile a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Tom... I actually sent an email to Berger and they got back to me much quicker than I anticipated.

It would seem that 37grains Varget is the starting point.

Thanks to all, and good shooting!

Edited by - LapuaMile on May 09 2011 21:00:16
Go to Top of Page

Win_94

22 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  01:40:58  Show Profile  Visit Win_94's Homepage Send Win_94 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LapuaMile
I guess there's only one way to answer the stability question for sure, and that's at the range. There in lies the fun!

Unless you have a chronograph at the target end of the range, you will not know "for sure."

You said, "I'm in love with the BC" well, the BC will be greatly reduced with the unstable bullet's wobble.

Don't get me wrong; I shoot the 220gr RN in my 30-06 1-10 twist, getting 2.5" 3 shot groups at 400 yards; but the energy is greatly reduced because of the wobble... and the 208gr A-max was just as impotent.

Most people think they will experience inaccuracy from a marginally unstable projectile; when in reality it is velocity that suffers.

Go to Top of Page

LapuaMile
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - May 15 2011 :  21:44:59  Show Profile Send LapuaMile a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stability report is in, and they were stable at 100 yards. Of course at longer ranges, at subsonic speeds, I have no doubt that accuracy could diminish. That said... not too shabby...

Range Results (100 Yards):
- Used Berger Load suggestions (Varget - 37 to 39, in .5 grain increments)
- Lapua .308 Brass; Federal Match Primers
- 2 sets of 5 Different Loads (10 Total Groups)
- Total Average groups size: .6117 Center-to-center
- Best Group: 39 grains, .3815" Center-to-center
- Velocity (This is grim, as expected):
- 37 Grains - 2101, ES 39
- 37.5 Grains - 2130, ES 24
- 38 Grains - 2174, ES 29
- 38.5 Grains - 2195, ES 25
- 39 Grains - 2230, ES 30

Overall these bullets did not shoot as great as other bullets I've lobbed down the SRS barrel. That said, no group exceeded 3/4 MOA, so I'm very impressed with the stability at 100 yards given the low muzzle velocity.

I still have some "shake-room" for more powder in the case at "max load", as I've seated these bullets out so long they're a few thousandths from three inches, which is giving me more case capacity. I'm not showing excessive pressure signs, so I'm going to work up a few more loads to try to get to at least 2300fps. If I can shoot 1/3" groups at 2300fps, I'll be pretty happy with these. They would certainly be effective on deer within a few hundred yards.
Go to Top of Page

Paul B
Advanced Member

3296 Posts

Posted - May 16 2011 :  13:34:29  Show Profile Send Paul B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting. When you're through with Varget, you might give W-760 a try. The load I have is for the 220 gr. Sierra round nose Game King and I was able to reach the max load with no problem. Here is the data.
Starting load: 42.0 gr, for 2177 FPS at 42,000 C.U.P.
Maximum load: 44.0 gr. for 2295 FPS at 46,900 C.U.P.
The max load chronographed at 2310 FPS from the 22" 1 in 12" twist barrel of my Winchester M70. Groups ran from .375" to .50" at 100 yards.
Brass was Winchester with Winchester WLR primer.
I have a box of Sierra 220 gr. Match King target bullets that came as part of a trade. One of these days I just might do a load work up with those just to use them up.
Paul B.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06