Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 Equipment
 7mm-08 brass length
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rwhadley
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2011 :  17:17:59  Show Profile Send rwhadley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay guys, I used the Lee case length gauge and the cutter on some brass that was longer than the maximum OAL. It was reading about 2.039-2.041 after a couple uses. When I trimmed the brass it cut it all the way to 1.990. I know these case length gauges are supposed to be fool proof but that sure seems like a lot. Cant find anywhere that shows what the brass should be trimmed to. Only the maximum OAL is given. Also the neck seems pretty short now. Any thoughts?

dh2
Advanced Member

709 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2011 :  02:24:31  Show Profile Send dh2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
speer #12 manual says trim to lingth is 2.025" , so try working with that for a while
Go to Top of Page

bigpower
Advanced Member

USA
600 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2011 :  08:41:35  Show Profile  Send bigpower a Yahoo! Message Send bigpower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always found in the manuals that the trim to length is usually around .010 short of maximum case length. I have, in my 10 yrs of hand rollin, gotten brand new brass that come out of the bag .010-.015 short of the trim to length and used it without issue, but .035 seems a bit short. Hopefully one of the old hands at the game will chime in their thoughts on that issue.

Yeah, I'm a "G" man...Girls, Guns and Guitars............
Go to Top of Page

Hockeynick39
Advanced Member

USA
3799 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2011 :  10:16:44  Show Profile  Send Hockeynick39 an AOL message Send Hockeynick39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you own any loading manuals? If not, I would suggest the Lyman or the Hornady manuals. They both have a maximum case length and a trim-to length (about .010" difference between them). This should clear up any confusion. .035 does seem like an awful lot of trimming too, but you may be alright to reload them as long as your seating depth is still within tolerance. Look at it this way, you won't be trimming for awhile.
Go to Top of Page

lightman
Advanced Member

1138 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2011 :  10:25:28  Show Profile Send lightman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Lyman book says to trim to 2.025.Your cutter seems to be too short.I would contact Lee.Your ammo will shoot ok,just no point in trimming that much. Lightman
Go to Top of Page

rwhadley
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2011 :  12:44:15  Show Profile Send rwhadley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have some manuals that have lengths given in them but only max OAL no other lengths. Don't know why the case length gauge was trimming so much. I have sent an email to Lee. I'll let you know what they say.
Go to Top of Page

cfvickers
Advanced Member

1893 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2011 :  17:54:07  Show Profile Send cfvickers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Send your gauge back but first check to make sure your calipers are accurate. My 7mm-08 Lee case length gauge trims to 2.026.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06