Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other
 Gunsmither or Rifle Wrecker???
 Bedding with JB's Weld
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jubal

USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  15:45:43  Show Profile  Visit jubal's Homepage Send jubal a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I have bedded several of my rifles using JB's Weld mixed with household fiberglass insulation. Doesn't matter which whether pink or yellow. JB's will take up to 600 degrees of heat I believe and doesn't matter how cold it gets I don't think. So far over a period of 15 yrs. I have not had to re bed my first one. Will not sugar out. My first one is in a Ramline stock which I do not think is a very good stock but it has held together OK over those yrs. Some bedding material is like nailing jello to the wall. Mixing with the fiberglass makes it much more manageable. JB's costs about 6 bucks + or - and will do several rifles depending on your personal bedding practice. If a composition stock scratch up the surface to be bedded with a Dremel tool for good adhesion. Release agent is a must.

jubal

n/a
deleted

339 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2012 :  15:02:33  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What do you use for a release agent?
7x57guy
Go to Top of Page

baldhunter
Average Member

USA
97 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  07:35:17  Show Profile Send baldhunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used the JB Weld Quick on a couple of my bedding jobs.I use Sno-Seal as a release agent and have never had a problem.
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  12:49:47  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I sure miss the old Micro-bed. I've used JB's and other commericial two part epoxies but never added fiberglass insulation. Interesting. I've use Pam or another cooking oil spray as a release agent.
Go to Top of Page

DocHolladay
Advanced Member

USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  23:20:53  Show Profile Send DocHolladay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No JB Weld for me, but I do use neutral shoe polish for release agent.

98% of us will die at some point in our lives.- Ricky Bobby, Talledega Nights
Go to Top of Page

newguy220

USA
423 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  00:24:51  Show Profile Send newguy220 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What type of JB weld do you use and how do you do it? I've never heard of this before.

newguy220
Go to Top of Page

nachogrande

491 Posts

Posted - May 19 2012 :  14:46:43  Show Profile  Send nachogrande an AOL message Send nachogrande a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use jb weld for a ton of stuff,my favorite glue now. am in the process of gluing a turkey beard and spurs to a shoelace to hang around the rear view mirror. it dries at a pretty fast rate which is good for most things but I think too fast to bed a stock. try west system epoxy, I believe it dries harder and I even use it on the outside of wood stocks, it strengthens/weatherproofs and can be buffed clear and an automotive topcoat put on it and buffed/polished matte to glossy.
Go to Top of Page

newguy220

USA
423 Posts

Posted - May 20 2012 :  02:39:25  Show Profile Send newguy220 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nacho,
Thanks for the heads up. I'm still unsure what I'm going to do, I'm going to shoot it tomorrow to make sure it still needs work first and go from there.

newguy220
Go to Top of Page

Paul B
Advanced Member

3286 Posts

Posted - May 21 2012 :  00:23:14  Show Profile Send Paul B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"My first one is in a Ramline stock which I do not think is a very good stock but it has held together OK over those yrs."

Ramline stocks may not be very pretty but they are surely hell for stout. I have a Ruger tang safety chambered to the .375 Taylor wildcat. This is the .338 Win. mag. necked up to take .375" bullets and properly loaded will duplicate the famous .375 H&H magnum in a 30-06 length action. The whole package weight 7.5 pounds and hits like a hammer at both ends. The gun has never been glass bedded and so far has had maybe 500 rounds through it using a very stiff load of IMR4350. I have never had to do anything to that stock except put a better recoil pad to replace the one Ramline provided. That stock had held up just fine without any reinforcing glass bedding.
it is a good thing you used some fiberglass material with the JB as it cab be brittle without the glass fibers.
When I worked for a gunsmith in Nevada, I had to rebed several rifle where JB had been used without the reinforcement and it was a royal PITA getting that stuff out to redo the work. I'll stick to the Accraglass Gel for my glass bedding work.
Paul B.
Go to Top of Page

Big 4
Average Member

USA
86 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2012 :  11:49:20  Show Profile Send Big 4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Paul, JBs can be brittle..There are so many good glass bedding compound out there that I see no reason to try to reinvent the wheel. Just my personal opinnion. Depending on what I am attempting to do with glass bedding I use either thin Accraglass for a paint coat or for strong bedding I use Marine Tex.

For those who don't do a lot of glass bedding Accraglass Gel is the easiest to use IMO.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06