Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 Plains game rifles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Coyote50

USA
368 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2012 :  13:55:21  Show Profile Send Coyote50 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I was at the sportsman's show in Portland, OR this past weekend with my other half and after talking to some safari outfitters she wants to go when we have the finances. Says she wants to shoot a zebra and put it up in the living room haha. Some of the non-trophy hunts were not that expensive which surprised me and even the hunts that were trophy hunts were not bad either. This has me thinking I need a filler rifle between the 264 win mag and the 50 bmg. I was looking at a 375 ruger but the ammo availability sucks. I also liked the 9.3x62 which is more available internationally. I would most likely be looking at a ruger rifle but may consider a CZ. Is the 9.3x62 a good "do it all" round for anything other than dangerous game?

A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends on its user-Theodore Roosevelt

45colt
Advanced Member

1387 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2012 :  14:35:53  Show Profile Send 45colt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You would be well served with the 9.3x62. But, why not just get a 300 magnum? The winchester and H&H are all over and have worked well on game big and small. They would also serve you well here in the States if needed.

"I'd rather die for something, then live for nothing."

Go to Top of Page

Dom

Germany
1982 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2012 :  15:13:01  Show Profile Send Dom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few years ago on a trip to Africa my buddy used a 9.3x62 to take plains game, did a super job, including Gemsbock, Zebra, Kudu, etc. You could use it for all game in NA, though a 300 will do better at further distances. It uses standard bolt and is not a magnum, a good point and I don't believe you'd have any regrets if you got one. Bullets like 250 Accubond, 286 Partition readily available, it is becoming more popular on your side of the pond, Waidmannsheil, Dom.
Go to Top of Page

Coyote50

USA
368 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2012 :  16:09:56  Show Profile Send Coyote50 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input. I guess I never considered a 300WM. I liked the 9.3x62 partly because of the wide variety of hunting ammo along with the novelty of it. I have never been one to use the most common rounds. Instead of 25-06 or 257 wby i shoot 257 roberts, instead of an ar-15 i shoot a mini-14, instead of 7mm rem mag i shoot a 264 win mag, instead of 44 mag i shoot 45 colt +P loads. You get the idea. If i were to get a 300 win mag i would want to make it a synthetic stocked long range affair. I think hunting in other parts of the world there is a "dress code" where a rifle should look like nicer. Just my point of view.

A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends on its user-Theodore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

paparuger

USA
236 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2012 :  17:37:16  Show Profile Send paparuger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
4 or 5 years ago 5 of us went to Nambia, WE carryed 3 .30-06, 1 .338-06 and I a .338 win. mag. All collected animals from kudus, gemsbuck. wart hog, zebra. There was no difference in the ability of which killed the best. My .338 WM is now owned by my son. The .338-06 is retired. The .30-06's are still going strong and harvested 3 elk this year. I personally would not use anything bigger than a .30-06 for plains game. We never shot over 150 yds at any of the 23 animals taken. I got a good outfitter in Nambia if you're interested. Papa
Go to Top of Page

Dom

Germany
1982 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2012 :  01:45:25  Show Profile Send Dom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Coyote50, I think a 300H&H Magnum would fit your bill
Go to Top of Page

45colt
Advanced Member

1387 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2012 :  06:59:13  Show Profile Send 45colt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dom

Coyote50, I think a 300H&H Magnum would fit your bill

I do believe I mentioned the grand old H&H.

"I'd rather die for something, then live for nothing."

Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang
Advanced Member

3273 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2012 :  09:32:53  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage Send Wolfgang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it were me, I'd go with the 9.3x62 if I was set on a bolt action, otherwise I'd go 9.3x74R in a SxS or O/U

Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."
Harry S. Truman
mark@fire-iron.biz

Go to Top of Page

eaglesnester
Average Member

Canada
89 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2012 :  10:18:08  Show Profile Send eaglesnester a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would go with a 375 H&H as my light rifle and a 416 as my heavy rifle.
The 375H&H has been around for over a hundred years and is still around and for good reason. It will serve you well in Africa and in North America. Load it light 225gr bullet for deer, elk, moose bear (black) and load it heavy 270 or 300 gr banded solid for Kodiak Brown Bear, Buff, rino and elephant. With a 375H&H you are able to hunt anything on planet earth. I shoot a CZ550, 375H&H Safari. The recoil is mild and the rifle is accurate 1MOA at 100 yards. The rifle is a controlled round feed, a set trigger that is around 2lb in normal mode and when you push it forward the trigger pull is 8oz. The rifle will hold 6 rounds 5 in the magazine and one in the chamber. It has a two stage safety. I live and hunt in the Northern Interior of British Colombia and my 375 is my go to rifle. I also have a 338/378 Weatherby that I sometimes carry and I love them both.
Go to Top of Page

jdmorris
Advanced Member

USA
963 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2012 :  11:34:27  Show Profile Send jdmorris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you should find an outfitter you are interested in using and ask them what they prefer. Depending on the terrain you will be hunting. In the thick bushvelde, you would be served well by a .375 or 9.3x 74 etc. but in the wider open spaces it would be hard to bear a .300 mag. of some type. Most of the African hunting websites I have looked at have recommended the .270 win. as the bare minimum and they prefer the .30-06. But they always emphasize bring a gun you can shoot well no matter what it is. Just my .02. Good luck with what you choose.

\Jim
Go to Top of Page

Trapper1960
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  15:17:15  Show Profile Send Trapper1960 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, new here but I'll throw in my 2 cents. I wouldn't hesitate to use the .264 on anything but maybe the largest plains game (kudu, eland, etc). I'm heading to Kimberly at the end of May and will be bringing along my 264 win mag, along with my 300 win mag. On a side note, my PH assures me that I won't need anything heavier then a 243. Just remember to split your ammo between you and your partners baggage in case one is lost in transit. Also, odd caliber ammo is tough to come by in Africa. The popular 30-06 and 300 mag types are readily available and some will base their choice of caliber on this.

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation"
Go to Top of Page

Paul B
Advanced Member

3211 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  15:58:18  Show Profile Send Paul B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That grand old gentleman, Col. Townsend Whelen once said, "The 30-06 is never a mistake." I know it's boring but it works. My choice, if I ever get to go would be one of my .35 Whelens but I'd be sweating bullets until I arrived and was positive my gun an ammo arrived with me. Stuff happens. For that reason, I would look at cvartridges known to be popular "over there".
The 30-06 would be just fine as would the .300 Win. mag. if the recoil doesn't bother you. I did rea somewhere whhere some of the African countries regard rifles with synthetic stocks as sniper rifles rather that a sporting firearm so I think you'd have to look into that to be safe.
Africa has always been a dream for me, but the finances have always gotten in the way. I've always wanted to take on a cape Buffalo and want to do it with one of my Ruger #1H rifles. I have them in .375 H&H, .404 Jeffery and .416 Rigby. With the skimpy pad Ruger uses on those rifles, the .416 will really get you attention in a hurry. The .404 came with a muzzle brake so it's not all that bad. The .375 I consider a fun gun and even have a Ruger M77 in .375 taylor, the .338 Mag. case necked up to take .375 caliber bullets. it's a real sweetheart and at 7.5 pounds loaded with sling and scope, you can carry it all day. Surprisingly, the recoil is not all that bad. No worse than the .338 Win. Mag. and it duplicates the H&H cartridge in a 30-06 length action.
I think that if I did get the where with all to do a plains game hunt, I'd be torn between my custom Mauser 30-06 or my Winchester M70 .300 Win. mag. Not sure what weight bullet for the 06 but the .300 would be using either the 200 gr. Nosler Partitions or the 200 gr. Speer Hot-Core. I might even go with the 200 gr. bullet in the 06 if it will shoot a bullet that heavy. The custom rifle has a 1 in 12" twist to the barrel rather than the standard 1 in 10" found on most 30 calibers. I might even use my Ruger #1S in .300 Win. mag. with my 200 gr. load.
Be sure to post picture when you get back from that hunt or I'm thinking a bunch of us might get upset. Well need the details as well. Good luck on that hunt.
Paul B.
Go to Top of Page

de9mm

54 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  19:38:32  Show Profile Send de9mm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Both a 300 Weatherby and .338 Win mag will give you more energy than the 9.3x62, while shooting flatter, farther. The next step up would be a 340 Weatherby. I don't know about international ammo availability, but the .338 Lapua mag will shoot flatter and hit harder than the .375 H&H. The Lapua was adopted by the US military as a sniper round to fill the gap between 30.06 and 50 BMG, which sounds like what you're asking for. A hot load for the .375 will give you around 4900 ft lbs at the muzzle vs. 5200 for the Lapua. The numbers are pretty impressive if you like that sort of thing.

Go to Top of Page

BISCUT

3481 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  20:52:35  Show Profile Send BISCUT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like the 35 Whelen and a 9.3 x62 has a slight edge and is much more popular overseas. BUT, and it's a pretty vanilla answer...I would choose 30-06 and 375H&H. Good for all but the super dangerous. Not that I've been there or done that.

Sexy side of me (yup!!!) would want to bring a whole host of rifles, but that doens't mean they would be necessary.
Go to Top of Page

Mike70560

USA
302 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2012 :  08:07:57  Show Profile  Visit Mike70560's Homepage Send Mike70560 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A 300 H&H in a pre64 Model 70 would be cool and work very well on PG.

You cannot go wrong with a 9.3 by 62 or 74. Ruger was offering the No. 1 in a 9.3 by 74.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/RUGER-NUMBER-1-SINGLE-SHOT-RIFLE-9-3X74R.cfm?gun_id=100229512

To hijack the thread for a moment. I have a post down in the "Big Five Hunting" forum for a raffle to hunt on the Save Conservancy. The money is going to a good cause.

Mike
New Iberia, LA
Go to Top of Page

Paul B
Advanced Member

3211 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2012 :  13:50:24  Show Profile Send Paul B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"A hot load for the .375 will give you around 4900 ft lbs at the muzzle vs. 5200 for the Lapua. The numbers are pretty impressive if you like that sort of thing."

Yes, but the .375 H&H is legal for certain species of game while the .338 Lapua is not. Depends on which African country you hunt in. Some with that .375 caliber restriction do allow the 9.3x62 but that is something that needs checking before you go.
Another question is availability of ammo. My .375 Taylor wildcat(.338 Win. mag. necked up to take .375 calibr bullets.)is perfectly legal in every African country but if my amo got lost on the way over, I'd be screwed, blued and tatooed.
Now I dearly love my .35 Whelen but while I would love to use it in Africa, I have no clue regarding availability of ammo to feed it should I need to replenish my supply.
One thing I learned a long time ago. it takes more than energy to kill an animal. You also have to have the penetration, that is, to use an old mountain man expression, "You have to touch the life."
I've played around with cartridges from the .22 Hornet to the .416 Rigby and while I haven't shot anything but paper with the Rigby, I have shot elk with the .375 H&H,.35 Whelen and .300 Win. mag. The one shot wit the .375 made on massive leap over some brush and fell over the cliff that was behind the brush. Result inconclusive. The one shot with the .300 mag. fell at the hit and kicked for a bit. T The elf with the .375 was just ambling along when shot, as was the one with the .300 Win. mag. Both elk could be considered undisturbed.The one shot with the .35 Whelen went down the fastest and had been spooked and was running like hell putting distance between me and it.. All shots except for the elk that went over the cliff were deemed to be well placed. We could not recover the elk that went over the cliff. I do believe that it was dad when it madr tha convulsive leap.
Paul B.
Paul B.

Edited by - Paul B on Mar 09 2012 14:01:53
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06