Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 Equipment
 Priming Tools
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hoonza
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2003 :  08:10:04  Show Profile Send Hoonza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi everybody, I'm new to this forum, first post.
I've been using a Lee priming tool that I bought at a garage sale and find it hard to squeeze after 50 or so pistol primers. Been thinking of trying a RCBS or Redding, anybody have any experience with these?

Thanks Hoonza

ricciardelli
Advanced Member

USA
1581 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2003 :  13:59:52  Show Profile  Visit ricciardelli's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been using the RCBS forever, fingers get tired, but no other problem with it.

http://stevespages.com/page8c.htm
Go to Top of Page

curly

Canada
3024 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2003 :  04:21:39  Show Profile Send curly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Save your hands for squeezing other things......invest in a press.
Go to Top of Page

jager22
Average Member

USA
198 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2003 :  06:07:04  Show Profile  Send jager22 an ICQ Message Send jager22 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i use the RCBS also its great...
Go to Top of Page

PeterDragoon
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2003 :  12:53:47  Show Profile Send PeterDragoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I now use a RCBS, it replaced a piece of @#$% made by Lee. The Lee hand primer is now doing great things in a land fill.
Go to Top of Page

4godsako
Starting Member

Australia
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2003 :  06:49:02  Show Profile Send 4godsako a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Krikey You Blokes ,
I've been using a Lee hand primer for 8 years clocking up thousands upon thousands of cases without a hitch .
My ,so called, El-Cheapo' Lee reloading set up with mostly the De Luxe 3 collet dies make loads comparible or even better than many of my mate's pricey RCBS/REDDING etc.
Sure the finish may not not be the best on some Lee products but if I can get 1" @ 100 metres for most of my loads I'm a happy-chappy.
The toggle on the Lee standard 'O' frame press is meant to break if it's over stressed...........If one is over stressing a ramming stroke theres something wrong and if your like me and only load three calibres(.310 Martini/.243win/9.3X62mm), one apparently rarely overstresses.Good Lyman spray on lube does the job for me. Another mate of mine broke that toggle attempting to size .308win to .243 in one stroke.........the bloody goose!
I sometimes do the same If I can get my hands on some good A.D.I.(Australian Defence Industries) 7.62NATO (Sold to America as Aussie F-4 Ball.Our millitary sadly exported all to you lads leaving bugger-all for us then gave as AID the manufacturing equipment to those frightening Indo's to our north so they can shoot us with it one day ) but I simply swage it down in three strokes, wiping off lube, turning in the shell holder and re lubing and have never even started to stress the linkages but end result needs outside neck turning and trimming to 51.95mm.
Cheers and Beers from Down Under
Go to Top of Page

bolo

217 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2003 :  13:28:08  Show Profile Send bolo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used Lee primer tool quite a bit but had problems with cracking at the shell holder slot.They replaced twice but I gave up and went to a Raiha tool made in Idaho I belieive. It is machined aluminum and cast iron,very stout and has good seating feel.
Have you ever dipped case necks in powdered mica?Reduces sizing force to a marked degree and is not messy like greasy lubes?does not replace other size lube on body but has greatly reduced stretch on cases like .220 Swift for me.
Go to Top of Page

Goat Roper
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2003 :  01:12:12  Show Profile Send Goat Roper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am using a RCBS hand primer and really like it. I think they beat using a press hands down. They really give you the feel for what you are doing. I did invest in a second shell holder just for the primer. It only took 15 seconds to switch it from the press to the primer tool, but for $6 why be shifting back and forth all the time? I can knock out about 100 rounds in an hour or so. That makes a nice diversion of an evening, but shifting the shell holder every hundred rounds seemed like a waste.

Goat Roper Rick
Go to Top of Page

MShort

16 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2003 :  20:35:50  Show Profile Send MShort a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used the Lee tool almost exclusively for 20 years or so and like it a lot. I wore out two toggles in that time but replacements were easy to find. The only real problem for me is that I use my thumb to push the lever and large lots of cases really wore out my thumb.

5 years ago I got an RCBS bench top APS priming tool. This has proved to be a marvelous machine for large volumes - it's just not very convenient for small lots.

Since I'd given away my Lee tool I purchased the RCBS handheld APS tool. This is a bad implementation of a great idea. It's well built but the "universal" shell holder allows a lot of slop producing a lot high primers - this is not a good device. Because I liked the fit and finish of the RCBS tool I then purchased their traditional hand priming tool. Like the Lee before it, this is an excellent tool. I operate it much like the the hand squeeze exercise devices so my thumbs are much happier too.

All of the above except the hand held APS tool are much better than using the standard press methods of priming.
Go to Top of Page

BlueMoon
Average Member

USA
162 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2003 :  01:33:49  Show Profile Send BlueMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like MShort, I too have used the Lee hand primer for years and never had a mishap. I've been thinking about buying a RCBS hand tool but am starting to notice more and more bad comments about it. On the LYO forum many got rid of their RCBS tool and bought a Lee tool for large and one for small primers. I'm on my second Lee tool and have changed out a part on it but even though cheaply made they work great when you get used to the feel. To me, priming with a press is not going to happen. BM
Go to Top of Page

MShort

16 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2003 :  20:54:09  Show Profile Send MShort a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like the "standard" RCBS hand tool. It seems to be a little better made than the Lee but I only replaced one part on my Lee in 20+ years.

For me the RCBS "squeeze" action is much easier. When I used the Lee I always pressed with my thumb and my thumbs hated me for it. The other adavantage is that the RCBS tool uses std RCBS shell holders so I don't have to maintain two types of shell holders and cross-reference shell holder numbers.

Once again "universal" shellholder on the handheld RCBS APS tool is a POS (at least mine is). The RCBS bench top APS tool is marvelous just a bit too much tool for low volumes.
Go to Top of Page

Varminter
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2003 :  16:33:54  Show Profile Send Varminter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I appreciate my Lee equipment including the priming tool. Though I don't do large volume of shells at a time (100 or less) I like how my priming tool works. I did put a touch of grease on the cam & the fulcrum joint. Most of my equipment is Lee that I bought because I was pooooooooor. Now that I can afford better(?) I see no reason to change. Spending more money isn't going to make me a better round unless I go to the arbor presses, & I'm not doing Benchrest.(Yet!)

Reloading isn't cheaper if you just shoot more!
Go to Top of Page

Jim Hundlet
Average Member

USA
95 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2003 :  16:40:32  Show Profile Send Jim Hundlet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On priming tools.Try a Sinclar and don't look back!Expensive,but worth it!If you don't want to spend that much,consider a K&M.Both are benchrest quality.
Jim

Jim
Go to Top of Page

determined451
Advanced Member

973 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2003 :  00:25:04  Show Profile  Click to see determined451's MSN Messenger address  Send determined451 a Yahoo! Message Send determined451 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i have used several kinds, but my favorite is the RCBS hand-held, APS tool. I load about 3000 rds. per month, and it works great.. if you invest in the strip loader, it is even better.
Go to Top of Page

Grandadmike
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2003 :  08:56:53  Show Profile Send Grandadmike a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use the RCBS hand priming tool for calibers I don't load on a progressive. I think it works great, with little hand fatigue. I have a lee auto prime as well but it tires my thumb out after a few hundred cases.

Regards,

Mike

Slack Out. See the bullet hole.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06