Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 Reduced loads for 300 RUM and 7mm Mag
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tommy B
Advanced Member

USA
724 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2005 :  11:47:07  Show Profile Send Tommy B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guys, have any of you played around with reduced loads in 300 RUM or 7mm Mag if so what powder / bullet combo are you using.

I have about two hundred 220gr MK’s I want to shoot up just for plinking and 150gr & 168gr SMK's for 7mm. Somebody on another site said to try sr4759 but i can't find any load data for this powder for these rounds.

If my memory serves me right(witch it prob does't) SR4759 is shotgun propellant made by IMR correct? Has anyone herd of xmp5744 if so who makes it.

Also is the sr4759 hard to get? I don't think i ever seen any around.
I am a newbe when it comes to reduced loads. Almost forgot to check Steves pages...

Robert
Advanced Member

USA
1613 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2005 :  12:25:53  Show Profile Send Robert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In fact Accurate Reloading Manual has reduced loads for the 300 UM with 5744. I have used the data with cast bullets. This is an excellent powder for reduced loads. They have extensive redudced data for most cartridges, however the 7mm Magnum does not list them except with 145 gr and 168 gr Cast bullets. This has been talked about here before. I have not seen very much reduced data for 7mm Mag anywhere. There must be a reason for this. However...you can call Accurate Powder at 1 800 416-3006. They are always very helpful...the staff there is never in any hurry to get you off the phone and really listens to your needs and tries to help.

Make it count. www.graybeardoutdoors.com
Go to Top of Page

jager

65 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2005 :  12:31:09  Show Profile Send jager a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tommy - I have used a load of 40.0 gr. of IMR4064 with a 175 SptBt (Sierra) in a 7mm Remington mag for right at 2200 fps. It shoots POA at 100 yards without changing sight setting for my regular loads and is great for short to moderate range (back lot) deer hunting. There is a lot of powder space in the case with this load and I usually use about 1/2 gr. of "Kapok" (a "pinch") over the powder to help keep it in place. The SR4759 (purple can) is a Dupont powder that is made for reduced loads; I think you are thinking of SR4756 (lime green can) which is a shotgun powder that I normally use in my 20 ga. I have a couple of pounds of the SR4759 and have used it in several rifle calibers including a .375 H&H with cast loads with pretty good success; for it is much bulkier than shotgun powder. I don't know if it is still produced, maybe someone out there can confirm its existence on the "shelves". XMP5744 is made by Accurate; I've not tried it, but understand many "cowboy" shooters like it a lot. I've have also used IMR4198 for reduced loads and it works very well, particulary in my .270 Win. Be very careful with reduced loads, for its pretty easy to get a "double charge" in a case as large as the ones you are using and the results can be disasterous to both you and your rile. Good luck and good shooting - Jager
Go to Top of Page

Tommy B
Advanced Member

USA
724 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2005 :  13:17:29  Show Profile Send Tommy B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Robert and Jager thanks for the speedy reply you guys have been most helpful. Robert, Steve's pages has SR4759 reduced data for 7mm mag with 150gr slugs so for 168gr i would just back off a few grains. The ACCURATE reloading manual you are referring to is it new? I would like to get my hands on one of these powders. Jager, I just called a few stores and no one has the sr4759 and from what i just herd on the phone I don't think it's produced any more? Have you used jacketed bullets with any of your loads or all cast? I have a few lb's of 4064 and some 175gr game kings maybe a will try it in 7mag is 40.0gr MAX? I'm going to try Accurate's web site for the info may be i will get a freebee once again thanks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06