Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 Load request
 First time reloading for 270 wsm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

badger13
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2012 :  23:06:36  Show Profile Send badger13 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone, first post here hoping you can give me some direction on where to start. Me and my Dad will start reloading for the 270wsm. He has a browning A bolt and I have a Weatherby Vanguard with a boyd thumbhole stock. We both shoot Winchester 140 Accubonds extremely well. Do you guys have any suggetions? We are sticking with the Accubonds and would like to hear what powder you guys are having good luck with.

thanks in advance.

Onondaga
Advanced Member

USA
2260 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2012 :  01:29:53  Show Profile Send Onondaga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
badger13: The Reloader's Nest has great load info on this popular Caliber:
http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpage.asp?CaliberID=291

If you just look under 140 grain bullet loads you can see that slow powders get the best velocity with the 140 gr in the 270wsm.
That will narrow your powder selection a lot:
http://www.reloadersnest.com/query_bw.asp?CaliberID=291&BulletWeight=140

I personally prefer Hodgdon powders for consistency and suggest you visit the Hodgdon site and learn how to navigate it:
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
The Hodgdon site has a nice print function also.

Hodgdon data shows H.Retumbo giving the lowest pressure with the highest velocity using Hodgdon powder. That is how I suggest selecting a powder for a 140 gr bullet in the 270wsm.

I also suggest for new and old reloaders not to go hotter than 3% below maximum book loads, If that is just not hot enough or fast enough for you, then you selected the wrong caliber and you will wear out your brass and your rifle way too fast. Consistent reloading skills and consistent shooting skills are way more important than velocity with 3% more powder. Within size of numbers used to measure things like velocity and foot pounds of delivered energy to game animals, 3% is statistically insignificant. However, 3% difference in the ballistic pressures of a 270 WSM at top load level can kill you as your rifle blows up.

Gary

Fine rifles are never really owned.

Edited by - Onondaga on Dec 10 2012 02:25:51
Go to Top of Page

Onondaga
Advanced Member

USA
2260 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2012 :  01:59:53  Show Profile Send Onondaga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
badger13:

Loading for 2 rifles in the same caliber does call for some precaution in the loading procedure.

Full length sizing and sharing the same lot of brass requires a sizing die setting that is low enough for both rifles or one rifle will not chamber ammo correctly, if at all. You can also segregate brass by rifle and have individual die settings for each rifle.

Neck sizing for both rifles will require keeping your brass strictly segregated for each rifle, but the die setting would be the same for both rifles.

I have this situation with my grandson in .308 Winchester bolt rifles. We both also have single shot rifles in .223 Rem., We neck size with the same die settings for both calibers and keep our brass segregated by rifle. My .308's will definitely not fit in his rifle, but his 308's will fit in mine. I wouldn't even try to see if our .223's were interchangeable and give him any ideas. He is 16 and has been casting bullets and loading for 3 years with me.

Gary

Go to Top of Page

badger13
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2012 :  09:40:31  Show Profile Send badger13 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info I will check out the provided links. We shouldn't have a problem keeping the brass segregated.

Go to Top of Page

badger13
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2012 :  12:05:00  Show Profile Send badger13 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
another quick question in regards to brass... We have been stocking the brass for the last few years but haven't kept them separate so they all will have one fire on them from different rifles. Do we need to full length resize them the first time or every time?
Go to Top of Page

Onondaga
Advanced Member

USA
2260 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2012 :  13:25:22  Show Profile Send Onondaga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
badger13:

It is the die setting that is important with the FL sizing dies. This means checking that your die setting will work and give easy chambering for either rifle. If you achieve that, no brass segregating will be necessary. Make a dummy round with your die setting and check the fit of the round in both rifles for easy magazine function, easy feeding, and easy bolt closure for both rifles. Don't load a bunch of ammo without checking.

Remember that a 1/8 turn difference in the FL sizing die setting can make the difference between the ammo only working well in one rifle or working fine in both rifles. It is a fine adjustment. Check and see with dummy loads.

Gary

Edited by - Onondaga on Dec 10 2012 13:45:21
Go to Top of Page

budlight
Advanced Member

USA
916 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2012 :  08:18:25  Show Profile Send budlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is your barrel length and do you have a chrono? From 270 wsm testing we found using large rifle mag primers and Powders like R-22, IMR 7828 SSC, R-25, AA MagPro using the faster for 140's and the slower for the 150's.

The case does not have enough volume to use anything as slow as Retumbo unless you are attemping to shoot 165 or 175 grain Matrix target bullets
Go to Top of Page

badger13
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2012 :  10:21:10  Show Profile Send badger13 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Weatherby barrel length is 24" and I believe the Browning A bolt is 23". I have been seeing Magpro and r-22 in alot so that could be a good place to start. I do not have a chrono but wouldn't be apposed to buying one...
Go to Top of Page

budlight
Advanced Member

USA
916 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2012 :  12:41:35  Show Profile Send budlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by badger13

Weatherby barrel length is 24" and I believe the Browning A bolt is 23". I have been seeing Magpro and r-22 in alot so that could be a good place to start. I do not have a chrono but wouldn't be apposed to buying one...

online you can get a pretty good chrono for about $99. I don't have the printer type. You just want something that reads without erroring out.

With 23 and 24 inch barrels I would lean toward R-22 or 7828 with 140's. of course mag primers
Go to Top of Page

Onondaga
Advanced Member

USA
2260 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2012 :  14:24:36  Show Profile Send Onondaga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
badger13:

I genuinely respect data recommended by Hodgdon Powder Company. They make no notation regarding magnum primers with the 270 WSM and they do recommend Retumbo with a 140 gr bullet. If you have any concern about the Hodgdon recommendation I gave you please contact Hodgdon directly per their instruction:

If you have a safety problem or concern - DO NOT EMAIL - CALL US DIRECTLY 7:00am to 5:30pm Central Monday-Thursday : 913-362-9455

Street Address:

Hodgdon Powder Company

6430 Vista Drive

Shawnee, KS 66218

Gary

Go to Top of Page

budlight
Advanced Member

USA
916 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2012 :  18:40:31  Show Profile Send budlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I came across somebody elses work with the mag primers and powders i listed. I also see dicrepencies not only in reloading manuals, but Hodgdons own sight. It is just a rough guide and not done by actual testing.

http://www.realguns.com/loads/270wsm.htm

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06