Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Bullet
 Big game hunting
 Federal's New Fusion Bullet!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

longshot

USA
61 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2005 :  00:23:37  Show Profile Send longshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Federal's release of the new fusion bullet has me spinning. It is supposed to be the cat's meow.. In this months "Rifle Shooter" magazine there is a very good article outlining the manufactureing process this bullet goes through. The best part about it is Federal plans to make it for reloader's too. "Also not immediately available are bulk bullets for reloaders" Pg 48 January issue of "Rifle Shooter" magazine.

The bullet is similar to Remingtons protected point bullets (core lokted). The jacket is electroplated I think. The bullet is then swaged, punched (skived) with a star pattern on top then the tip is closed back to a nice little point.

If this bullet is accurate and cheap I think our new generation of hunters will never look back on the regular softpointed bullet again.

Times are a changing boys, and so is technology.

Factory Loaded offerings will be,
95gr .243
130,150 gr 270 win
150 gr 270 wsm
150,175 gr 7mm Rem mag
150, 165, 180 gr in .308, .30-06, 300Win Mag.

There are others too but I don't feel like writing

Just a reminder: They are supposed to be able to compete at the prices of "traditional favorites" meaning "core lockt" by Remington and "power point" By Winchester

Robert 24

US Navy

autonj

USA
66 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2005 :  17:45:52  Show Profile Send autonj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes I seen them
here is the web site:

www.fusionammo.com

North Pole, AK
Go to Top of Page

147 Grain

USA
43 Posts

Posted - May 29 2005 :  21:36:12  Show Profile Send 147 Grain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Fusion bullets remind me a lot of Speer Grand Slams or Hot Cores where high heat is used to fuse the lead to the jacket. This is nothing new as far as technology is concerned, but it's an excellent bullet.

Kind of an inbetweener between standard and premium bullets.
Go to Top of Page

mtmuley
Advanced Member

USA
1480 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2005 :  21:01:29  Show Profile Send mtmuley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually the Fusion is new tech. The bullet starts as a formed core and then is surrounded with a jacket. It is done with an "electro-chemical" process that fuses the copper to the lead. Just read an article in Peterson's Hunting that explains it in detail, plus talks about the Fusion's performance. Sounds great, but not offered as a component yet. mtmuley
Go to Top of Page

Pottsy

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  11:49:41  Show Profile Send Pottsy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by longshot

Federal's release of the new fusion bullet has me spinning. It is supposed to be the cat's meow.. In this months "Rifle Shooter" magazine there is a very good article outlining the manufactureing process this bullet goes through. The best part about it is Federal plans to make it for reloader's too. "Also not immediately available are bulk bullets for reloaders" Pg 48 January issue of "Rifle Shooter" magazine.

The bullet is similar to Remingtons protected point bullets (core lokted). The jacket is electroplated I think. The bullet is then swaged, punched (skived) with a star pattern on top then the tip is closed back to a nice little point.

If this bullet is accurate and cheap I think our new generation of hunters will never look back on the regular softpointed bullet again.

Times are a changing boys, and so is technology.

Factory Loaded offerings will be,
95gr .243
130,150 gr 270 win
150 gr 270 wsm
150,175 gr 7mm Rem mag
150, 165, 180 gr in .308, .30-06, 300Win Mag.

There are others too but I don't feel like writing

Just a reminder: They are supposed to be able to compete at the prices of "traditional favorites" meaning "core lockt" by Remington and "power point" By Winchester

Robert 24

US Navy

Its a lead core Electro Plated to a jacket. while this makes the bullet a great bond it also makes it one of the thinnest type bonds there is.

Years ago bench rest shooter decided that becouse fluxing the lead core to the jacket "could " imbalance it most decided to go with unbonded bullets some found the answer in Electro Plating the core
this made for a perfict bond between core and lead and it was also quite consistent it let the bonding agent flow evenly between jacket and core .
One draw back the thicknes of the bonding agent .
The object is to etch the jacket inside walls with an acid/flux
and bond the two together .

Its a great idea but there really is no way to make the bond as thick as normal fluxing .
to test this for yourself line two 55 Gal drums up one in front of the other space the sec/ barrel ahead of the first by 2 feet and shoot an Electro Plated bullet through it . it will lose it jacket
becouse the bond is to thin.

But then again not many Deer out there wearing armour plating.

Martin
PA Bullet's
Go to Top of Page

147 Grain

USA
43 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  11:57:03  Show Profile Send 147 Grain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to pusblished ballistics, the fusion ammo is very aerodynamic - much more so than the Core Lokt or Power Point - with BC's comparable to Nosler's premium ammo.

I suspect that Federal's pricing will be about 15% higher than Remington or Winchesters, but worth the extra cost for those not interested in premium ammo.

* Shot Placement
* Bullet Construction / Weight Matched to Game
* Choice of Caliber

Nosler AccuBond
Go to Top of Page

45colt
Advanced Member

1389 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  19:46:31  Show Profile Send 45colt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HAs anyone heard how Speer is going to phase out the Hot-Core for the Fusion bullet? All I know is that the process is going to start this year and won't be across the board but a gradual thing.

"I'd rather die for something, then live for nothing."

Go to Top of Page

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

2559 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  20:34:08  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sound's like the "Grand Slam" is going to get "Slammed". Always did like that one.

LOL

Bobo 7mm Mag
Go to Top of Page

45colt
Advanced Member

1389 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  09:41:17  Show Profile Send 45colt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never used them before, but I think the fusion is a less expansive version of a swift or trophy bonded bullet. It sounds like it would be impossible to have a core jacket seperation. I hear Speer varies the acket plating for the cartridge or velocity rating.

"I'd rather die for something, then live for nothing."

Go to Top of Page

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

2559 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  10:25:34  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Longshot

I will give them a whirl!!!

Variety is the spice of life.

Good loading and shootin,

Bobo 7mm Mag
Go to Top of Page

eric2381
Advanced Member

Canada
2020 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  07:47:34  Show Profile Send eric2381 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a little late on this one, but I did try them a few years ago in my 30-06. They shot well, and I shot 3 whitetail deer with the 165gr. version. They went through the deer, and didn't damage alot of meat.

Not much more I can say, I'd like to get some in component form and try loading them.

I see Winchester has got thier own fused type bullet in factory ammo as well.

I've never saw a hearse with a luggage rack....
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06