Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 Techniques
 Primer Chart
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

robfogle

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2005 :  13:37:31  Show Profile Send robfogle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm probably asking for something that doesn’t exist, but here goes. Does anyone have any kind of chart or table on primer burn rate, or what ever you call it (how hot the primer is)? Rating primers from hot to cold and the recommended usage, grains of powder or ammo type. The only thing that I have seen is a general rule of thumb is "If the powder charge is over 50 grains then use a Magnum primer".

The reason that I ask is I just ran into a situation reloading in some .300 SAUM ammo. I was using Federal 215M primers and was getting velocities 150 - 200 FPS higher than it was supposed to be and an occasional heavy bolt lift on a mild loads. Talking with people at the range I was told that the Federal 215M was the hottest primer and was to hot for the .300 SAUM. They recommended Winchester WLRM or Remington 9 1/2M primers and start over with my load development.

robfogle

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2005 :  16:52:29  Show Profile Send robfogle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those that want to know I found a Rifle Primer Brisance and Powder Burn rate Charts.
See here. http://www.reloadingroom.com/page35.html
And Here: http://www.castingstuff.com/primer_testing_reference.htm

I don’t know which is more accurate but they seem to be close.
Go to Top of Page

budlight
Advanced Member

USA
872 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2005 :  10:21:06  Show Profile Send budlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robfogle
The only thing that I have seen is a general rule of thumb is "If the powder charge is over 50 grains then use a Magnum primer".

The general rule of thumb: "Only use LR Magnum primers for powders slower than imr 4831"

Using a magnum primer on fast burn rate powders causes the problems you spoke about - The hard to open bolts.

I use CCI250's for my R-22, IMR7828, H1000 powders.
I use CCI200's for my loads that use 4064, 4320, IMR & H4350 H4831sc

.270 Ackley improved 29 inch 1.250 dia. target barrel 7mm STW 28 inch 1.250 target barrel.
Go to Top of Page

giturgun

USA
63 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2005 :  17:12:42  Show Profile  Send giturgun a Yahoo! Message Send giturgun a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HADNT SEEN THAT BEFORE I SAVED IT FOR FUTURE REFERENCE THANKS

have u shot ur egg today support ur local aig shoot
Go to Top of Page

davidmilisock
Advanced Member

558 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2005 :  18:47:22  Show Profile Send davidmilisock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
robfogle you don't mention what the load was only that it was a 300SAUM. If you're faster then you should be then you're most likely developing more pressure then you should be. At the risk of sounding stupid why don't you just reduce the powder charge instead of worring about the primer? It just sounds like the load is too hot and the load can be adjusted to the ignition source.

I use mag primers for ball powders as I had some experience with ball powder igniting differently in cold temperatures. I also use mag primers when there is a large amount of powder in the case.
Go to Top of Page

robfogle

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2005 :  23:19:32  Show Profile Send robfogle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
davidmilisock,

Rifle used was a New Remington Sendero .300 SAUM
All loads were:
168gr Hornady HPBT
Primer Fed GM215M
Case was new, FL sized, trimmed to 2.005
Primer pocket uniformed and deburred
Powder measure used was a Lymen 1200b Digital Powder measure. I verify about 10% of the load with a Dillon D-Terminator digital scale.

The first set of 5 rounds was at 57.5 gr Win 760. They clocked 2835 to 2862 (suppose to be in the 2700 range). No pressure signs. The next set was at 59.6 Win 760. I got the first sticky bolt on the 2 round fired. Because this charge was less than midway on the chart I thought, at first, it might be something with that particular case. This load was clocked at 2948. According to Hornady's manual this powder charge should be running at about 2800. Also according to Hornady’s manual the powder range for the 168 gr HPBT is from 55.5gr to 65.6 gr of Win 760. This particular charge is well below max charge. I shot a total of 5 rds with 2 sticky bolts. The second sticky bolt (very sticky) was on round number 5. On the second sticky bolt, I quit this load run.

I had made some ammo up a couple of weeks before for break-in and zeroing. They were Sierra 150 HPBT Match King with 54.2 gr of Varget and GM215M primer (The max Varget charge is 58.2 gr.). I decided to see how they did on the chrony. They were running at a consistent 3150 +-30fps. No signs of over pressure.

I was talking to a couple of what seemed to be knowledgeable individuals at Shooting Club that I belong to. The first question that came up was, what primer was I using? It was suggested that the primer was way to hot and I should back off the WLRM primer and maybe even back off to WLR primer. They thought the primer could be causing the over pressure problem and the higher speed. I should note that none of these people had experience with short mags as they were BR shooters.
Go to Top of Page

Irishboy

USA
61 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2005 :  21:49:17  Show Profile Send Irishboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use Federal 215M primers in everything I load for, at least for rifle ammo. I always have extremely consistant velocities and excellent accuracy. Never was one to buy 5 different primers for 5 different loads.

"God made man. Sam Colt made man equal."

Happy reloading,
Jim B.
Go to Top of Page

davidmilisock
Advanced Member

558 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2005 :  15:43:36  Show Profile Send davidmilisock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your velocities are not inconsistant with what I've seen. I love Winchester 760 powder in an 06 but not in a 300 Magnum. Look to Reloader 22 or 19. Most likely Reloader 22 and Varget is one of my favorite powders in the world but in a 300 mag good only for light plinking velocities.

These big mags with heavy loads like slower powders then you're using.
IMR 4350, Reloader 22, IMR or Hodgdon 4831. Reloader 22 would be my first test.
Go to Top of Page

robfogle

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2005 :  22:26:13  Show Profile Send robfogle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
davidmilstock

Thanks I'll give them a try this weekend.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06