Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 Techniques
 Bullet Seating Depth for Weatherby?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Oregon Elk Hunter

USA
205 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  09:20:08  Show Profile Send Oregon Elk Hunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings: I remember reading (somewhere) that you cannot use the usual bullet seating depth procedure for a Weatherby.

Normally, I use a Stoney Point OAL guage which allows me to easily find the Max OAL. I then test to find the best seating, usually between .010 and .020 less than Max.

Will this work for my new Weatherby 340 Mag?

Thanks, OEH

skyline
Advanced Member

Canada
2807 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  09:29:47  Show Profile Send skyline a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Weatherby rifle chambers typically have more 'freebore' than other rifles.....longer throat. Check it and see what you end up with for the OAL, then check the maximum length that your magazine can handle and still function properly. That will probably be the determining factor.

"Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but it had better be a learned one!"

Edited by - skyline on Jul 20 2005 09:31:42
Go to Top of Page

Oregon Elk Hunter

USA
205 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  12:00:54  Show Profile Send Oregon Elk Hunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Skyline: Thanks for the info. Here are my measurements:

• Max OAL to lands is 3.938
  • Max that will eject is 3.835
  • Max that will fit magazine is 3.712

Question: I have heard that some shooters will seat 3 rounds to fit in the magazine and 1 round to load manually, so that it can be seated closer to the lands. Is this worth the effort?

Thanks, OEH
Go to Top of Page

skyline
Advanced Member

Canada
2807 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  14:45:16  Show Profile Send skyline a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OEH, that is pretty much what I expected. You cartridges usually need about .030 +/- clearance in the magazine for reliable feeding.
So, given a max. magazine length of 3.712 you are looking at a max. OAL of about 3.682 +/-. I would load three dummies to that max. and stack them in the magazine and see if they will feed properly and adjust from there. Once you know what the max. length is that will feed reliably from your magazine you can then go on from there with your loads and adjusting your seating depth to see how it affects accuracy with this knowledge on tap.

Personally, I would stay away from the practice of shorter rounds in the magazine and one in the chamber with the bullet seated further out to a different OAL. Each to their own, but I can see Murphy coming along and screwing things up royally in the field.

I do not believe there is any practical gain with this in a hunting rifle. The most important thing with hunting rifles is a consistant, reliable load that functions smoothly through your firearm.

"Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but it had better be a learned one!"

Edited by - skyline on Jul 20 2005 14:46:21
Go to Top of Page

Mike 257
Advanced Member

USA
905 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  21:12:36  Show Profile Send Mike 257 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oregon

Weatherby's have very long throats as you already know, for this reason it's not possible to seat the bullet close to ,or in contact with the lands. For best accuracy you should seat your bullets as long as your magazine will allow.
Go to Top of Page

Mike 257
Advanced Member

USA
905 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  21:15:10  Show Profile Send Mike 257 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that I read all other posts, I see that I have managed to repeat exactly what skyline said.
Go to Top of Page

Oregon Elk Hunter

USA
205 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2005 :  00:55:01  Show Profile Send Oregon Elk Hunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mike - yes, but it was worth it to see your avatar. Thanks, OEH
Go to Top of Page

Mike 257
Advanced Member

USA
905 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2005 :  16:07:40  Show Profile Send Mike 257 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just for the record, my avatar is an actual short vid I took of my girlfriend. If she ever knew I was using it like this she would kill me.
Go to Top of Page

Oregon Elk Hunter

USA
205 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2005 :  17:04:06  Show Profile Send Oregon Elk Hunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My only response to that is "Your a Lucky Man!"
Go to Top of Page

JR1

USA
261 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2005 :  21:34:53  Show Profile Send JR1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I seat my Weatherby the same as any other rifle...set that bullet in the mouth, chamber it, back off a hair. Works great.

I'd fish if guns were involved!
ĦA Dios!
JR
Go to Top of Page

Oregon Elk Hunter

USA
205 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  00:52:14  Show Profile Send Oregon Elk Hunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
JR1 - for my rifle, Skyline is right on the money. If I were to do as you do, I would not be able to magazine or even eject.

I assume you can do both, or do you load one round especially for the first shot as I mentioned above. OEH
Go to Top of Page

JR1

USA
261 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2005 :  11:14:07  Show Profile Send JR1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I load 'em all the same Oregon. I never had any trouble with mine. It's a .300, Jap made, probably now near 20 years old. Maybe the throat's not as long as some. Surely the magazine hasn't...

ĦA Dios!
JR
Go to Top of Page

Mike 257
Advanced Member

USA
905 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2005 :  13:14:04  Show Profile Send Mike 257 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
JR

I dont mean to hijack this thread but since you mention the 300, Im curious to know would this be to much gun to hunt deer? I just bought a 300 wby mark v today and wanted to try it deer hunting this season.
Go to Top of Page

JR1

USA
261 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  20:11:44  Show Profile Send JR1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mike, it kills deer just dandy!! All the guys in my camp used to hunt with Weatherby's exclusively, an hour nort of Green Bay. So good midwestern deer size. I used 180 grain Hornady's. Now, I'd probably move to the 165's and back off the speed a hair, just don't need it. But it'll work good. Never had to trail one I shot with it!

ĦA Dios!
JR
Go to Top of Page

budlight
Advanced Member

USA
909 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  16:23:53  Show Profile Send budlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My 29 inch barrel was freeboard or throated .300 inches. It turns them into a one round at a time gun. Which is not a big deal. I didn't spend all that time on the paper range figuring out a load and then put 4 in magazine and have everyone of them with the pointed noses smash flat when the first round goes off.

You BC charts............... are all down the drain with smashed or crooked bullets.

Very few times in my life have I ever shot at some game animal more than once. I never thought that I would need a second shot or would require a 30-shot clip.

.270 Ackley improved 29 inch 1.250 dia. target barrel 7mm STW 28 inch 1.250 target barrel.

Edited by - budlight on Aug 04 2005 11:12:19
Go to Top of Page

c-man
Advanced Member

607 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  22:17:58  Show Profile Send c-man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Too much?

I've slowly, but surely saved almost all the money for my
50 BMG.

Them boys in PA'll be able to hear that one sound off through those blue ridge hills I hunt in Northern Virginia.

I'm gonna bear down on some 120lb doe with it.

Do you think i'll get enough penetration out of a 650 grain bullet on angle shots?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06