Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 Equipment
 Any Reviews of New Nosler Custom Brass?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Oregon Elk Hunter

USA
205 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  09:43:27  Show Profile Send Oregon Elk Hunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone tried the new Nosler Custom Brass? Expensive, but look good. Here is what the promo says:

Nosler Bullets has just introduced it's own line of custom brass. Nosler took a few extra steps with their brass to make it a premium component for the handloader. The brass is first weigh-sorted to within =/- 0.5 grains, then the flash holes are deburred. Nosler completes their case prep with neck sizing and chamfering the inside and outside of the case mouth. All Nosler unprimed brass bears the Nosler headstamp and is sold in boxes of 50.

Just wondering if anyone has tried them?

Wondering how they compare to,say, Norma? (priced about the same).

Worth the $$$ or not?

Thanks,OEH

Edited by - Oregon Elk Hunter on Jul 25 2005 09:45:34

Oregon Elk Hunter

USA
205 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  16:38:23  Show Profile Send Oregon Elk Hunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have been doing some research and it appears (probably not surprising) that Nosler is not making the brass themselves, but having brass manufactured "to their specifications."

I called Nosler and they confirmed that they are not making the brass themselves, but (of course) would not tell me who was making it. He said, and I quote,"we are getting it from several sources."

So, my guess is they are having it made by Fed, Rem or Winc, doing all the prep work for you and selling it with their name and reputation. If so, I am not sure it is worth the extra cost. I can do my own prep. work.

If it is Norma brass, then it might be worth it.

Anyone have more information? OEH
Go to Top of Page

MIKESBARRO
Advanced Member

USA
2836 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  20:48:50  Show Profile Send MIKESBARRO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
+/- .5 gr is pretty impressive, but neck sizing and packaging in 50 rd boxes.....when is the last time the case mouths weren't trashed from handling????
Go to Top of Page

calsibley
Advanced Member

Canada
598 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  01:44:13  Show Profile Send calsibley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been on a rant for several years about the poor quality of US made brass. Now I see that Hornady and Nosler are making what they term precision brass. It's much more uniform in weight and dimension than other US made brass. It costs a little more, but the primer pockets are drilled instead of being punched out, eliminating that internal projection that has to be reamed out. The necks are also much more true. Actually what they are doing is what Lapua and Norma have been doing for years. Hey, someone actually listened. That's encouraging. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley
Go to Top of Page

Oregon Elk Hunter

USA
205 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  12:05:39  Show Profile Send Oregon Elk Hunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cal - so would you buy Nosler or Norma? OEH
Go to Top of Page

calsibley
Advanced Member

Canada
598 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2005 :  17:50:13  Show Profile Send calsibley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Oregon Elk Hunter,

Most of my brass is Lapua, but there are calibers I reload and Lapua doesn't make brass for, about 6 calibers. For those I'll buy the new
Nosler brass. I've been using Lapua for so long and feel quite comfortable with it. In fact, I've never split a Lapua case or hand any difficulty at all with them. I'm quite sure the new Nosler brass will also be good. Hornady is doing the same thing as Nosler so we've got two new sources. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley
Go to Top of Page

leftysniper10x
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2009 :  17:02:53  Show Profile Send leftysniper10x a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello guys I'm Lefty and I thought I would post a reply on nosler brass. I use Nosler brass in my .223- 22-250- 300 win mag- & 7mm rem mag. In my initial purchase of 100 casings each. I went through a very patient sit and weighed every case in each caliber. All casings were in stated range of what they advertised at being .5 and less. Then I checked the concentricity of the necks. One and one only in a .223 casing was .003 in runout. Everything I had was .002 and less. Ok with me thus far. My next step of measurement was on an average of 20 rounds of primed cases in each of the calibers and checking the depth of the primers. Here I can simply say none were over .005 Alot of .002 and .003 Hey were doing pretty good eeeh. Ok, now two things that I took into consideration was this on these nosler casings was 1. On all these calibers the the casings are shorter than the trim to length specs such as stated in a RCBS case trimmer spec sheet. The shortness on cases came to an average of .010. I was told not to worry about that and I don't. And 2. I went through and rechamfered the case necks with a VLD Chamfer tool that puts a steeper angle on the ID inside diameter, The bullets I use are all flat based and allows for a little easier bullet seating. I like the Nosler brass alot. I checked the concentricity of my loaded rounds in each caliber and nothing was over .003 out of concentricity. I can honestly say that most were .001 & .002 out of concentricity and a lot were near perfect. And here's the clincher, My groups show it.
I only neck size and bump the shoulder back a couple thousands. My fouling shots are closr to center and settle in quite nicely. Thanks guys X'em all the way..............
Go to Top of Page

woods
Advanced Member

USA
1971 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2009 :  17:41:15  Show Profile Send woods a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have probably bought a couple of dozen boxes of Nosler brass. Most of them were when reloading for friends. I tell them that if I am going to reload for them then they are going to pay for everything and they are going to buy Nosler brass. The main reasion is that Nosler is ready to load. In all those boxes I have never come across a bent neck.

I have had 2 bad boxes of of 300 win mag brass from them. The first box had some case heads that were not uniform

which I noticed when chambering the rounds during a firing session. They did fire

I contacted Nosler and they sent a replacement box. The replacement box was bad in that the neck thickness varied from .009" to .017". Every case had a thick side and a thin side. I was ready to send those back but a friend said he didn't care, load 'em up so I did.

I have used Nosler in 22-250, 280 rem, 280AI, 30-06 and 300 win mag. All those have been good except for the 300 win mag. It is like they are using different manufacturers and whoever they were using for the 300 win mag brass needs to get their act together. Some of the 30-06 brass neck thickness had a variance of .002" which is about what WW and Remington brass usually is. The 280AI brass was first rate with very consistant necks.

Personally, I order Remington brass if I have the chance. That is because the necks are thick enough for me to turn some off and they are a little heavier than WW. I have had split necks on WW. I'm sure Norma and Lapua are superior but I do a lot of prep and Remingtons are a lot cheaper.

When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Go to Top of Page

Mark UK
Average Member

United Kingdom
120 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2009 :  16:45:33  Show Profile Send Mark UK a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i have been using nosler custom in .223 for about a year now, i have not made the measurments that some of you have but i am on my 12th reload without trimming as i simply dont need to after prep and measure

they are really expensive in the UK but are very shiny and puka so i will continue to use them

While evil men cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles
Go to Top of Page

coyoteklr
Advanced Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  23:40:03  Show Profile Send coyoteklr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked the 22-250, but not the 270

The first taste of Texas still lingers in my heart and on my tongue.

FASTER HORSES

Go to Top of Page

dmsbandit
Advanced Member

USA
1788 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  11:22:55  Show Profile  Send dmsbandit a Yahoo! Message Send dmsbandit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've seen posted in this forum more than once, that Nosler Brass came out dead last in a comparision of commercial brass done by Handloader Magazine. Norma was the best, followed closely by Remington. Winchester and Nosler were running neck-neck for worst of the brands available.

I don't drink or smoke, I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06