Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 Tasco Scopes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Evad
Advanced Member

USA
1322 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  20:02:15  Show Profile Send Evad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is what I found on the net: Bushnell owns Tasco, Simmons, and Millet.
Dave

I never met a gun I didn't like.
Go to Top of Page

skyline
Advanced Member

Canada
2807 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  21:35:00  Show Profile Send skyline a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting Evad........If the information you found is accurate it would explain why I don't have any use for any of those scopes. I have seen so many of them crap out on guys rifles it is amazing people continue to buy them. I keep hearing that some of the new high end Bushnell scopes are decent, but I wouldn't spend a dime to find out given all of the failures I have seen in the last 40 + years. About ten years ago I started taking a low end Leupold to work with me and kept it there for guys who had their Tasco, Simmons and a number of other cheap brands fall apart on them while on their hunt.

I had a buddy who bought the Tasco scopes ( a World Class if memory serves) because it had this nifty replacement guarantee ................ and what a good deal that was because he had to have it replaced every year for about 5 years in a row. They couldn't even stand up to a .30-06, never mind anyone that would be silly enough to put one on something that actually has some recoil to it. He finally got the picture and spent a bit more money to buy decent glass.

Let no good deed go unpunished.

Edited by - skyline on Sep 24 2010 21:36:18
Go to Top of Page

ethmoid1999
Advanced Member

USA
3614 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2010 :  14:38:55  Show Profile Send ethmoid1999 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My observations from others using Tasco is that they were junk. I've seen several guys whose guns couldn't be sighted in. Remove the Tasco, mount a Leupold and the rifle miraculously starts to shoot right. I have traded for guns with Tascos on them and given the scopes to boys to use on 22 rimfires. Not impressed with Tasco for sure. I would prefer open sights on any big game rifle to one with a Tasco scope.
Go to Top of Page

Evad
Advanced Member

USA
1322 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2010 :  19:02:50  Show Profile Send Evad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never had any luck with Tasco scopes either, but my .300 win mag has a Bushnell Banner 6x18x50 that has been fine for the last 19 years, with no sign of loosing zero. I also have the same scope on my .270 Win, and it has been fine for 7 years. After a combined 26 years on them, I have to say they have been very reliable scopes. They have been used hard, and by different people. So yes, I like Bushnell's, at least the Banners. The last Tasco scope I bought, did not last long enough to sight in the .223 it was put on.
Dave

I never met a gun I didn't like.
Go to Top of Page

lost-leader
Advanced Member

USA
1506 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2010 :  00:43:44  Show Profile Send lost-leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I was looking at all different kind's of scope's on the internet, and I got the impression that Simmon's made scope's for Weaver. In fact I almost had myself talked into buying that Weaver V8 scope instead of a Nikon. Doe's anyone know who make's Weaver scope's for sure? lost.
Go to Top of Page

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

2546 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2010 :  08:03:31  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tasco

Put a Two Power Tasco shotgun Scope on my 870 Rem about Ten year ago. Went to sight it in at 25 yards with some Slugs. Adjusted it after each shot and it shot all over the place with no reguard to turret adjustments. After the third shot noticed the crosshairs were tilted to the right and rotated clock wise.

Got home and threw the Tasco in the TTTrash Can even though I knew it had a WWWarranty!!!

Bobo
Go to Top of Page

mhiltz
Advanced Member

USA
645 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2010 :  16:16:00  Show Profile Send mhiltz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My dad gave me his old elk killer, 721 Remington 270 with a Tasco on it. He bought the gun new in '59, I don't know when he mounted the scope on it. I know he beat the hell out of it and that Tasco is still an accurate scope. It sort of amazes me. It says "made in Taiwan" so it probably isn't that old.

However, I stand with others on the opinion of Leupold scopes, I will never buy anything less.

mhiltz

"It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it" Captain Call Texas Ranger

Go to Top of Page

scrubdog
Starting Member

New Zealand
1 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2010 :  21:12:30  Show Profile Send scrubdog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have owned many Tasco scopes over the years. There are three things that are important to know about Tasco:

1 the company has changed hands several times over the years
2 Tasco has NEVER made scopes, they subcontract out and put their name on them
3 Tasco has always sold two scope lines, a high quality line and a cheap line

Years ago Tasco tried to compete head to head with Leupold and Zeiss. They had high quality scopes made by the Hakko factory in Japan with genuine Japanese lenses (some Japanese factories assemble scopes using Chinese glass), 30mm tubes and high quality control. This was the original Tasco Titan range. These scopes are the Tiger Tank of the scope world. Big and solid and tough. Unfortunately the manufacturing cost was so high that Tasco lost money on the range even though they sold as high as $400 - $600 USA. These scopes are now becoming collectors item though many are still used regularly on hunting rifles that get high use (such as hunting guides).

Tasco has been making scopes since 1954 and still used Japanese optics on some of their range right up until 2000 (when they did a contract of sniper scopes for the US military... manufactured again by the Hakko factory). To really confuse the issue, the Hakko factory has also changed hands several times with changes in quality control and in type of lens coating. Some Titans are multicoated on all lenses, some only on the objective, some have a green tint and some have a blue....

After Bushnell bought the company they did a run of Titan scopes that were still pretty good but not of the standard of the originals. I think this is when the IR Titans were produced. No original Titans had illuminated reticles. All things considered, the Titan range will stand up as a competitor against the European scopes. They were high priced top of the line scopes.

Any other older Tasco scope (usually 1" tube) that says "Made in Japan" was probably also made at the Hakko factory and generally has superb optics and a very "classy" look though not nearly as tough as the Titan range. I would not hesitate to buy any older S/H Tasco scope that was made in Japan.

From 1996 onwards Tasco flooded the market with cheap scopes that were Chinese or Taiwanese manufactured and assembled and they were total junk (in comparison to the Japanese models). See Tasco caught on to the whole cheap Chinese manufacturing business model long before all the other big companies... so Tasco bore the brunt of the fallout over cheap scopes that leak and fall apart. Tasco did it first!! Tasco never recovered it's reputation and to this day most shooters associate Tasco with cheap junk. Older shooters still remember the high class Japanese scopes that Tasco used to make when it tried to go head to head with the European market. Tasco had a really good name then and older shooters still hunt around for the old S/H scopes. Especially the Titan range. The original Titan range and some of the other Japanese Tasco scopes had lifetime warranties. This warranty is still honoured by Tasco dealerships/agents all over the world. Unfortunately you rely on the workmanship of the local "repair shop" subcontracted to that particular dealership. Their work is often very poor compared to that carried out in a Japanese factory. It is possible to insist that a top end Tasco scope be returned to Japan for warranty claims (even though the original Hakko factory no longer exists either) but few people can be bothered waiting months for return of the scope. Plus there are cases of such scopes going "missing" or being "lost".

Personally I use an old battered Titan as my number one scope.

If I have got something wrong about Tasco then I apologise because it is not my intention to mislead anybody. My information is gathered from using Tasco scopes for years (and dealing with the suppliers/dealers) and from research on the web.

scrubdog

Edited by - scrubdog on Sep 26 2010 21:39:13
Go to Top of Page

stv123
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2010 :  22:27:47  Show Profile Send stv123 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bfreemanvt

I believe the Euroclass is now part of the Tasco Titan line of scopes...it's the only offering from Tasco in a 3-12-52 with a 30mm tube. Anybody every used either the Euroclass or the Titan?

Finally had time to take the Euroclass 3-12-52(1995 Japan) I mounted on a 22-250 Savage to the range. I know now why it was in a box. Everything appears to be fine except it shoots all over the place. From what you guys are saying, it may be possible to have it repaired under warranty. Guess I'll start with the Miami address on the box.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06