Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 300 ultra mag reloading - best bullet /powder ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

flitemedic13
Average Member

180 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  18:20:03  Show Profile  Send flitemedic13 a Yahoo! Message Send flitemedic13 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Im new to the forum and new to reloading...i have a bunch of questions for all the experts on here..so be patient with me...lol...

Ok, i have a rem 700 sps 300 ultra mag 26" barrel...
i have chosen 3 bullets to test speeds on (just got a chrony yesterday)

180 grain Nosler CT Slivertip Ballistic coefficiant .507
180 grain Barnes XLC coated Ballistic coefficiant .551
180 grain Swift Scirocco Ballistic coefficiant .520

My 3 powders to test are:

Ramshot Magnum
Hogdon Retumbo
RL 25

I have heard that the Silvertip bullet jacket tends to separate and also that they dont usually "pass through" the animal. but thats all just what ive seen and heard on here and others.....
As far as the Barnes coated XLC and scirocco ive heard nothing but good things...although finding info and actual users of the Barnes coated ones is sparse at best....

Which of the three will give me the fastest speed and best prefomance on an animal?

Ill post my results on here of my findings with speeds and accuracy.
Thanks everyone !!
Jonathan

Edited by - flitemedic13 on Jul 28 2005 18:20:30

Galen
Average Member

142 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  20:48:23  Show Profile Send Galen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What range?
What animal?
Different bullet, different speeds, for different uses.
If you look at different trajectory charts you will see that all of the bullets will carry very well at all ranges. There will not be very much difference at all hunting ranges.
The argument will continue for ever if pasing through an animal is the best preformance.
One person will say when a bullet pases through there is a better blood trail the second will say use all the energy in the animal and you don't need a blood trail. You will always need peneration to reach vitals of the animals that you hunt
I am not an expert, but what is best for you is determined by your own personal limits that you place on your equiptment and yourself.
Sorry, I could not answer your questions directly there are plenty of answers on this forum and you should also have 1--2--3-- reloading manuals and rely each as only guide.
Each rifle is an intity to itself that is what makes reloading so exciting.
Example I have a 7 X 57 that I load above any manual recommendation with no pressure signs. I do this to get the accuracy that the gun is capable.
Other guns that I load for will blow a group apart if there is any charge above the middle of the charge chart.
Welcome aboard and enjoy.
Go to Top of Page

ricciardelli
Advanced Member

USA
1581 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  21:16:25  Show Profile  Visit ricciardelli's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I am not a fan of any coated bullet, and I am not a fan of any Barnes bullet. Swift bullets, IMHO, are way over-priced, so that leaves you with the Nosler/CT 180, out fo the three you had selected. HOWEVER, I would look at the Sierra 180 SBT bullet...

As for powders...well, I got my best results with MagPro and Remington 9-1/2M primers.

http://stevespages.com/page8c.htm
Go to Top of Page

flitemedic13
Average Member

180 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  21:29:33  Show Profile  Send flitemedic13 a Yahoo! Message Send flitemedic13 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i see your point on the close proximity of whatever im shooting doesnt really matter, because well..its close..lol. i just got back from shooting and my results are below for the Scirocco and Silvertip..ill do the Barnes XLC later in the week.

Accuracy was a little better with the Scirocco than the Silvertip.
With the 180 grain i was going to use on general stuff like antelope, deer, elk, bear. I could also go to a 220 or 240 grain for bigger elk, bear and moose. I also wanna load down to a 100 or 110 grain for varmits wich should be amusing to say the least...that will be my next thread.

As far as range goes, i wanna be able to hit whatever i can see since i bought the gun for its long range capabilites and knockdown power. I guess that kinda sounds like a vanilla answer. I have a good gun and awesome scope so now i gotta figure out which is the best bullet for longer range stuff, since your probably right - everything close within 200 yds the bullet probably acts the same....I guess conventional wisdom would take the bullet with the biggest Ballistic Coefficient (Barnes XLC .552) if im planning on making 500-1000 yard shots. I do like the Scirocco and what it has done to 55 gallon drum so far...blew a 2" hole out the back..Silvertip exit was as big as the entrance. Not very scientific but i had limited rescources out there..lol.

5pm 95 degrees Arizona, elevation 5500 feet

180 grain Scirocco RL25 93.5gr 3401 fps
180 grain Scirocco Retumbo 100 gr 3470 fps

180 grain Silvertip RL 25 95gr 3340 fps
180 grain Silvertip Retumbo 100gr 3431 fps

Now my question is has anyone delt with any 3 of these and opinions on the bullets themselves...especially the Barnes XLC since finding opinions on it are sparse. thanks again, jonathan

Edited by - flitemedic13 on Jul 28 2005 21:31:11
Go to Top of Page

mtmuley
Advanced Member

USA
1480 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  21:34:50  Show Profile Send mtmuley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Flitemedic13, I have done some fairly extensive reloading with the .300 Ultra. In my opinion, and according to the results I have had, stepping up to a 200 grain bullet is the ticket. I use the 200 grain Accubond over RL-25, and get 3200 fps. I use this load for everything, even antelope. Using Sierra Infinity, the difference between 180 grain bullets and 200's is neglidgable from 0 to about 300 yards. There the 200 takes off in both trajectory and energy. The Ultra has the horses to use the 200 grain bullet to an advantage. I have also pushed 125 grain BT's to 3800 fps. Strictly an experiment. Try some of the Accubonds. They are available in 180 and 200 grain. I have also met folks at my local range that get good results with Retumbo. As far as performance on game, my friends and I have many, many animals taken with the Accubond in various cartridges. PM me with any questions. mtmuley If you are interested in BC's, the 200 grain Accubond is .588

Edited by - mtmuley on Jul 28 2005 22:08:13
Go to Top of Page

flitemedic13
Average Member

180 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  21:40:32  Show Profile  Send flitemedic13 a Yahoo! Message Send flitemedic13 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ill post the numbers i get from the barnes xlc and ramshot magnum with all 3 bullets.....

question for ricciardelli - why dont u like the coated bullets - just wondering..i have no opinion either way just getting info, thanks jonathan
Go to Top of Page

flitemedic13
Average Member

180 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  22:17:45  Show Profile  Send flitemedic13 a Yahoo! Message Send flitemedic13 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
mtmuley - how did u choose your bullet...was it the BC, or what it did in the animal or the speed u could get it up to, or accuracy out of your gun....material is kinda limited on data for my 300 ultra mag..hard to find data on the stuff i wanna use...my buddy is having an even tougher time with his 7mm ultra mag and load data...it is out there but not exact to some of what we want.
Go to Top of Page

Tommy B
Advanced Member

USA
724 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  22:44:14  Show Profile Send Tommy B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don’t have any experience with the 180gr bullets because the 200gr Accubonds shoot so good I never bothered with anything lighter (.5in groups@3200fps). The 220gr SMK’s shoot very nicely also great for long range work.

The RUM case has the horsepower to push the heavier bullets to 3100 to 3200 fps with top loads of Retumbo and R-25 from a 26’ BBL. Retumbo and R-25 are good choices and looking at RamShot Magnum’s burn rate It should work well I hear it meters very good and is clean. I have never used it because nobody around here sells it.
Magnum From 85.4 grains to 99.0 grains
Retumbo From 86.3 grains to 102.5 grains
RL-25 From 80.0 grains to 96.8 grains (Courtesy of Steve)
DO NOT GO RIGHT TO THE MAX LOADS work the ladder and find the sweet spot for the most accurate load and play with the seating dept.

As far as on game performance go’s we need to know what kind of game your hunting and what range. If we are talking deer sized game any of the bullets you mentioned will work but I would be careful with the CT Silvertips at RUM velocities. Under 200 yards they can be quite explosive. The Barns XLC is the toughest bullet you mentioned and will kill anything in NA if you can get them to shoot. The Scirocco is not a bad slug but a bit over priced if you ask me.

Edited by - Tommy B on Jul 28 2005 22:48:55
Go to Top of Page

Mike 257
Advanced Member

USA
905 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  22:46:16  Show Profile Send Mike 257 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steve

What don't you like about Barnes X Bullets, I just started reloading with them this year,I zeroed my gun in and it did very well. I was thinking that this would be the ultimate hunting bullet.
Go to Top of Page

Tommy B
Advanced Member

USA
724 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  22:56:29  Show Profile Send Tommy B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If your looking for long range performance go right to the 220SMK OR 240SMK You want a bullet with the highest BC you can get for the real long range stuff

Mike I Couldn’t get the X bullets to shoot worth a **** in my 7mm so I never used them again.

Edited by - Tommy B on Jul 28 2005 23:03:10
Go to Top of Page

flitemedic13
Average Member

180 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  22:59:40  Show Profile  Send flitemedic13 a Yahoo! Message Send flitemedic13 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
nothing wrong with the x bullet at all from what i know....just was intrigued by the xlc because "supposedly" since the coating reduces friction you can attain higher speeds with higher loads...not sure if thats all hogwash or what..guess we will see. im pretty happy with the speeds so far of what ive tested already..kinda suprised i got that fast on some of them.
jonathan

quote:
Originally posted by Mike 257

Steve

What don't you like about Barnes X Bullets, I just started reloading with them this year,I zeroed my gun in and it did very well. I was thinking that this would be the ultimate hunting bullet.

Go to Top of Page

flitemedic13
Average Member

180 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  23:04:39  Show Profile  Send flitemedic13 a Yahoo! Message Send flitemedic13 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy B

If your looking for long range performance go right to the 220SMK OR 240SMK You want a bullet with the highest BC you can get for the real long range stuff

I think your right..for the bigger load ill go with those from what data ive found...bad thing is the 240gr sierra bullets only come in a brick of 500 and are $170.00....yikes!!!! i need to go in halvesies with someone to get that. Ive also seen where Sierra doesnt recommend thier 240 gr for hunting, only target stuff...not sure if thats crap either. Nice Chi-Chi's by the way Mike257!!
jonathan

Edited by - flitemedic13 on Jul 28 2005 23:06:30
Go to Top of Page

Tommy B
Advanced Member

USA
724 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  23:27:50  Show Profile Send Tommy B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Sierra doesnt recommend thier 240 gr for hunting, only target stuff"

Your going to open up a can of worms with that one.
I have killed many deer with the SMK in all different cals.

I tested some AA8700 under the 220SMK last weekend 105.5gr produced 3130 fps and 1in groups. Not the most accurate load but not bad
Go to Top of Page

flitemedic13
Average Member

180 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  23:35:36  Show Profile  Send flitemedic13 a Yahoo! Message Send flitemedic13 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didnt agree with them saying that either...i shop online for my reloading stuff and saw that statement..i was like ...WTF? but im sure it will blow whatever to smithereens..so not sure what thier statement was all about.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=621591
Go to Top of Page

c-man
Advanced Member

607 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  08:59:39  Show Profile Send c-man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent, my favorite caliber,,,

i would say that myself and mtmuley are the big .300 rum lovers on this site, although i must respectfully disagree with him about having to go to a 200 grainer. There is not enough difference in wind busting power to see on paper, and i get a small amount more speed out of 180s. This is just for my gun, it may not be for his.

he prefers 200 and i myself practice regulary with 180g ballistic tips at 0-600 yard. I use them for long range deer hunting. The point is that neither is necessarily a better ticket than the other, just use whichever one works best in your gun.

throw away the silvertips and buy ballistic tips, same thing, just non-coated like steve said. Use these for antelope, deer, maybe a mule deer.

When you move up to deer and elk, throw in an accubond in the same weight, it'll guarantee more penetration., or just use them for everything.

180 g Ballistic tips are not nearly as explosive as lighter ballistic tips. They act much like a spitzer. I have killed dozens of deer with this round, and have shot 3-4 inch groups at 600 yards many times.
Go to Top of Page

mtmuley
Advanced Member

USA
1480 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2005 :  19:19:53  Show Profile Send mtmuley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Flightmedic13, STAY AWAY FROM SMK. Kinda like a cheer huh? There are so many BETTER bullets for hunting. I chose the Accubond purely on luck. Nosler introduced them, they were pretty flashy and they were the newest thing. AND they had a sky-high BC. (Some say this doesn't matter) But on the upside, my .300 Ultra shoots AB's like they were laser guided. As far as powders, like I said, RL-25 and Retumbo should produce the highest velocity. But if Magpro or some other powder produces better accuracy, then velocity should take a back seat. Back when I started loading for my Ultra, there was NO published data. I learned it on my own. Pick up a Nosler No. 7 manual. It is full of good info for most cartridges. mtmuley P.S. Thanks c-man, you and I do love our .300 Ultras, but would you please try some 200 gr Accubonds?( I think you'll like them) I also have a killer load for 180 gr BT's. Maybe I'll use them if I draw antelope.

Edited by - mtmuley on Jul 30 2005 19:27:44
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06