Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9122 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2016 :  11:35:39  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some one doesn't read enough to find out the poster is from Portugal.
Go to Top of Page

F. Guffey
Advanced Member

USA
961 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2016 :  16:43:17  Show Profile  Visit F. Guffey's Homepage Send F. Guffey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
My reference shows that a 9.3x62 case has the same case head dimension as a 30-06 case. Since I have regularly formed 8x57 cases from 30-06, I am sure I could form 8x57 cases from 9.3x62 cases.

I will agree about some forum members do not read and then there is one that has a CYA program. He did not know the case in question is larger in diameter by as much as .006" and if he knew the poster was from Portugal in the big inning he would have mentioned it before he was on his third response.

F. Guffey
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9122 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2016 :  19:32:35  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the winner of "The didn't read the post" is...guess who?
Go to Top of Page

manobras

10 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2016 :  08:17:03  Show Profile Send manobras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,

I've just resized a couple of 9.3x62 cases to 8 mm Mauser (PPU brass). Here's how I've done it:

1- Annealed the cases

2- Lubed and resized the the cases in 4 steps (1- just a few millimeters, 2- all the neck, 3- full lenght, 4- rotated the shell and a second full length resize). Cleaned excess lube between each step.

3- Trimed to 8 mm Mauser lenght.

In the pictures you can see an original 8 mm Mauser case (on the left) and two 9.3x62 cases during the different stages of the sizing process.

https://goo.gl/photos/yK3q9mhnHYHLyCTX8

I've measured the diameter of the case neck on top, near the mouth and at the base, near the neck, on the 2 resized 9.3x62 cases, on a fired and resized original 8 mm Mauser and on an unfired original 8 m Mauser.

These are my measurements:

Unfired FNM Target 8 mm Mauser:
Upper neck - 8.91 mm / .351 in
Lower neck - 8.96 mm / .352 in

Fired and resized FNM Target 8 mm Mauser:
Upper neck - 8.91 mm / .351 in
Lower neck - 8.97 mm / .353 in

9.3x62 resized to 8 mm Mauser case #1:
Upper neck - 8.80 mm / .345 in
Lower neck - 9.03 mm / .357 in

9.3x62 resized to 8 mm Mauser case #2:
Upper neck - 8.73 mm / .344 in
Lower neck - 9.08 mm / .358 in

I believe maximum neck diameter for 8 mm Mauser is 9.08 mm / .357 in, so I think I'm good.

As visible in the pictures, the soulder is very well difined in the original round but not so much in the resized 9.3x62. Is this a problem?

Should I load the cases and give them a try or should I just abandon the project?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
MD

Kind regards,
MD
Go to Top of Page

Kosh75287
Advanced Member

USA
796 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2016 :  14:49:22  Show Profile Send Kosh75287 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey GUFFEY, I think MANOBRAS may live in south or central America, so FORMING the cases could be the EASY part. Obtaining the unformed cases and returning them after forming might be something of a hurdle for each of you.

I agree with you about the "all ya gotta do is" sentiment about cartridge conversions. Some ARE just that easy, while others can be nightmares. I know that I don't dread converting .30-06 cases to 8x57mm nearly as much, since I bought a forming die. Some extra decapping pins in .264", .277" and .284" also drastically reduce the number of split necks I get.

God bless Jeff Cooper

Carpe SCOTCH!

Edited by - Kosh75287 on Nov 07 2016 14:53:50
Go to Top of Page

F. Guffey
Advanced Member

USA
961 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2016 :  15:47:33  Show Profile  Visit F. Guffey's Homepage Send F. Guffey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hey GUFFEY, I think MANOBRAS may live in south or central America, so FORMING the cases could be the EASY part. Obtaining the unformed cases and returning them after forming might be something of a hurdle for each of you.

I thought the flag with the stars had something to do with the EU. but as to where he is it matters not. I do not need the 9.3mm62 cases. I do have two barrels I am going to use in 2 bench rest type rifles. There are no cases available for the two barrels but I have got the reamer and dies for a wildcat type chamber.

quote:
I know that I don't dread converting .30-06 cases to 8x57mm nearly as much, since I bought a forming die. Some extra decapping pins in .264", .277" and .284" also drastically reduce the number of split necks I get.

I agree, if I had one forming die it would be the 308 W, if I only had two the other would be the 243W forming die.

I can form the 7.7 and 8mm57 with the 308 W forming die.

F. Guffey
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9122 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2016 :  21:53:26  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
manobras, the only other thing I would be concerned with is the neck wall thickness. I would check this before and after fire-forming. I think the lower neck may be a bit thick. What does a fired, unsized case neck OD measure for you in your rifle? If less than your formed cases I would suggest outside neck turning to a consistent neck thickness. Your expander is opening up the neck ID to a consistent size.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06