308 Win Nosler Accubond Question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

doug4772
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2016 :  09:13:01  Show Profile Send doug4772 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been using the Nosler Accubond 165gr in my 308 for a few seasons. Here'st he load I've been using:

Accubond 165gr
43gr Varget
CCI 200
Lapua Brass
2.74" COL

However, I noticed that Nosler has the COL set to 2.80" on their site. I'm pretty confident I got my load data from hodgdon initially. However, they don't seem to list the accubonds or BT on their site anymore. I'm reading that the accubonds are longer than most 165 30cal bullets. This brings me to my concern...

I've seated at 2.74" and it should be 2.8" am I running the risk of blowing my face off with 43gr varget? Just on the surface of it, it seems like I should be ok since nosler says I can go up to 46gr when seated at 2.8"

Thoughts? If I need to change this load I'd rather do it now.

Thanks for any and all input.

-Doug

T/C Icon Walnut .308
Savage 16 SS Lightweight Hunter .308

Zero333
Advanced Member

Canada
811 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2016 :  10:41:15  Show Profile Send Zero333 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're ok. And if the load is accurate then don't worry.

Yes. Seating a bullet deeper into the case can raise the pressure a little but you're far from a max load so no worries.

With every bullet (and every different lot # of the same bullet) it's ideal to find the COAL where the bullets engages the rifling. Some chamber throats are long, some are short and some are just right for the bullets you're using. The throat/freebore of the the chamber is the space between the end of the case and the beginning of the rifling. It dictates how far out you can seat a bullet in the case.

There are ways of finding the point where the bullet hits the rifling that cost nothing and other ways involve a tool and a modified case (hornady COAL tool and cartridge specific modified case)

Go to accurateshooter forum and search "find bullet lands" or "seating depth lands"

Here is a video with one of the ways to find the lands.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmDi7v530Og

Ideally you never want to seat a bullet closer than 0.020" from the rifling/lands.

Any questions, just ask.

Treat that trigger like it’s your first date, not like you’ve been married to it for 20 years.
Go to Top of Page

doug4772
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2016 :  10:51:17  Show Profile Send doug4772 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the quick reply. I had issues in my TC Icon when it was seated to 2.8 if I recall... Hard to chamber. They seem to have pretty tight tolerances.

I'll check out the video.. Maybe my savage can handle the longer COAL.

-Doug

quote:
Originally posted by Zero333

You're ok. And if the load is accurate then don't worry.

Yes. Seating a bullet deeper into the case can raise the pressure a little but you're far from a max load so no worries.

With every bullet (and every different lot # of the same bullet) it's ideal to find the COAL where the bullets engages the rifling. Some chamber throats are long, some are short and some are just right for the bullets you're using. The throat/freebore of the the chamber is the space between the end of the case and the beginning of the rifling. It dictates how far out you can seat a bullet in the case.

There are ways of finding the point where the bullet hits the rifling that cost nothing and other ways involve a tool and a modified case (hornady COAL tool and cartridge specific modified case)

Go to accurateshooter forum and search "find bullet lands" or "seating depth lands"

Here is a video with one of the ways to find the lands.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmDi7v530Og

Ideally you never want to seat a bullet closer than 0.020" from the rifling/lands.

Any questions, just ask.

Go to Top of Page

K22

442 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2016 :  19:02:38  Show Profile Send K22 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first thing I do when I get a new rifle is measure the max. COL for the specific bullet I intend to shoot in the rifle.

I began my load development at least .020" off the lands and never seat into the lands. Also I make sure the COL used fits the magazine and is seated deep enough to provide adequate bullet tension. For the latter I like the old rule of thumb of one bullet diameter seated into the case.

Some rifles have a lot of free bore so your seating depth needs take this into account. My Remington's for example have a lot of free bore where as my Tikka has much shorter free bore. The optimum seating depths for my reload in these two different rifles is considerably different. For example, with the Remington in 243, and a 85 Sierra BTHP this rifle likes 2.675 where as the 243 Tikka likes 2.610 with this bullet.
Go to Top of Page

curly

Canada
3232 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2016 :  22:40:50  Show Profile Send curly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
165 grain Accubond, 44.0 grains of RL-15, CCI-200 primer in an R-P case seated to 2.79 inches in my T/C Weathershield Icon gave 2,655 fps at the muzzle and was just under MOA....No sign of excessive pressures...

Curly
Go to Top of Page

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

3018 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2016 :  17:01:59  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Dad has an M-14 and two bolt actions in .308 Win. My brother has an old mauser in .308 Win also.

The M-14 has the shortest magazine. It cycles and feeds best with bullets seated to 2.75" OAL so I load all bullets to that lenght so they cycle and feed in all rifles.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06