Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9122 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2017 :  15:24:34  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never did any loading with 200 gr in jacketed. I would find the 200 gr too heavy for hunting anything but moose or Brown Bear in the USA in 8MM.
Go to Top of Page

UlicniTrkac

28 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2017 :  15:48:03  Show Profile Send UlicniTrkac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are the pics
note - scope is different now

Edited by - UlicniTrkac on Mar 01 2017 18:10:27
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9122 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2017 :  16:07:43  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice European sporter. Where are you located?
Go to Top of Page

UlicniTrkac

28 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2017 :  01:32:57  Show Profile Send UlicniTrkac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Serbia, Europe. This is the most common caliber here - since there was (an is) a factory producing these weapons here. I live 40 miles from Zastava factory, and 45 miles from PPU factory.

I opted for heavy bullets (for start) because the lighter rounds that were available here (reloading wasnt possible till recently, it wasnt allowed before) were not consistent nor closely precise in most of the rifles chambered in 8x57. I will get some lighter bullets soon, and test them out.
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9122 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2017 :  15:54:00  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What twist rate is your barrel? I've had very good results with Speer 170, Sierra 150 and 175 gr using military barrels.
Go to Top of Page

UlicniTrkac

28 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2017 :  16:42:36  Show Profile Send UlicniTrkac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
its 1 in 9.45"
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9122 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2017 :  20:41:41  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Should shoot them all well.
Go to Top of Page

UlicniTrkac

28 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2017 :  12:40:04  Show Profile Send UlicniTrkac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found out that I get neck concentricity problem - I neck sized the brass, and those necks were shaved, and I still got readings varying from 0.002 up to 0.01! I ve read somewhere that one shouldnt size more than .008 in one operation, and I was going down from .359 to .344 in one operation. I am about to finish two bushings to fit CH4D die, one 0.352 and one 0.347 to make it as it should be? Also, I sold my small Lee press, and in a day or two I should have my hands on Lee Classic Cast - I think that will help out a bit.
I ve also ordered some SST bullets, cant wait to try them out. Also, I will load some Sierra Match Kings, just to try em as well :)
Go to Top of Page

UlicniTrkac

28 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2017 :  01:55:44  Show Profile Send UlicniTrkac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had to have a new stock made, the previous one (made and bought last year) broke at the toe of the breech :(

This one is waay better :)

Edited by - UlicniTrkac on Mar 01 2017 18:07:54
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9122 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2017 :  12:04:45  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At the tang or at the recoil lug area? Poor bedding caused either. Post a pic of the broken stock please.
Go to Top of Page

UlicniTrkac

28 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2017 :  18:07:05  Show Profile Send UlicniTrkac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I havent done any bedding on the old one (nor on the new one) - both were made by experienced stock makers, but the first one, well it seems that he wasnt up to the task. raw wood and poor fitting caused this (I suppose you referred to fitting/bedding)

Go to Top of Page

WonderMan4
Advanced Member

USA
2846 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2017 :  23:12:13  Show Profile Send WonderMan4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I notice you have a left handed stock on a right handed rifle. It looks really good.
Go to Top of Page

UlicniTrkac

28 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  00:17:45  Show Profile Send UlicniTrkac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, its kinda hard to obtain a left hand action here without long waiting time (or if one wants to replace it, with tons of paperwork and taxes payed), so I went with the program :) and tbh I am kinda used to operate right handed weapons in a left shoulder. even the reloading I do it with right hand, without the need to work with my left hand over the rifle.
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9122 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  00:29:19  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That crack at the tang is caused when you don't cut the stock tang area, (relieve) back approx 1/32". A common error when doing stock work. Quite repairable by epoxying the piece back in and then doing a relief cut. Check your new stock and make sure it has a relief cut the entire semi circle of the tang area.

Edited by - Shastaboat on Mar 02 2017 00:30:26
Go to Top of Page

WonderMan4
Advanced Member

USA
2846 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  23:55:30  Show Profile Send WonderMan4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it makes you feel better, left bolt rifles are not that common here either.

I have a few, but freely admit that the majority are right bolt actions.

If I get one with a cheek piece, I usually get a stock without one at all. That way they can be a little thicker at the butt and help some with felt recoil.

Sometimes it can be dangerous for a lefty to shoot a right bolt rifle due to the location of the gas port. The only time to worry is when you get a ruptured case and luckily I have never had one in a rifle. I have had a couple in handguns, but that is a different animal.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06