lock and load headspace gauge
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gw hunter

41 Posts

Posted - May 22 2017 :  18:16:10  Show Profile Send Gw hunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Decided to get one of these and check the headspace on my reloads. The chart doesn't have my caliber so i took the average shoulder width (.4075). The bushings available are .4000 and .4200. When I use the .4000 my headspace is .020. When I use the .4200 bushing the headspace measures .022. Which bushing should I go with? Am I good here? Close enough? Any opinion is appreciated... Thanks

Onondaga
Advanced Member

USA
4017 Posts

Posted - May 22 2017 :  18:25:43  Show Profile Send Onondaga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Using ink and arithmetic is more accurate than the tool and an easy skill to develop.

Fine rifles are never really owned.
Go to Top of Page

Zero333
Advanced Member

Canada
810 Posts

Posted - May 22 2017 :  19:24:09  Show Profile Send Zero333 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're referring to the Headpace comparators, you can use whichever one fits the shoulder closer to the bottom (nearer the case wall... farther from the neck).

They're not going to measure right at the same datum as headspace go-no-go gauges. They're only to be used to find out how far you're bumping the shoulder of the brass when re-sizing.

I like 0.002" to 0.003" shoulder bump. But anything up to 0.004" is good and will not work the brass. Thus you're brass will last much longer with out any worries of case head thinning/separating.

Treat that trigger like itís your first date, not like youíve been married to it for 20 years.
Go to Top of Page

woods
Advanced Member

USA
2132 Posts

Posted - May 22 2017 :  21:12:25  Show Profile Send woods a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What caliber brass are you using it on (I assume a belted magnum)?

When you say .020" or .022" are you referring to the difference in measurement on a new case and a fired case?

When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

After Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF!

Go to Top of Page

Gw hunter

41 Posts

Posted - May 22 2017 :  22:17:31  Show Profile Send Gw hunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by woods

What caliber brass are you using it on (I assume a belted magnum)?

When you say .020" or .022" are you referring to the difference in measurement on a new case and a fired case?

Yes, that's the difference between a new case and a resized case. The caliber is 7mm weatherby.
Go to Top of Page

Gw hunter

41 Posts

Posted - May 22 2017 :  22:35:43  Show Profile Send Gw hunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry... That's the difference between a new case and a fired case. I guess that is why you need to resize even new brass.
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9122 Posts

Posted - May 23 2017 :  00:58:40  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm confused. With my handloads on every cartridge I load I have no measureable headspace. Why not load ammo with no headspace instead of loading ammo that might have headspace in your weapons?
Go to Top of Page

Gw hunter

41 Posts

Posted - May 23 2017 :  18:11:18  Show Profile Send Gw hunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shastaboat

I'm confused. With my handloads on every cartridge I load I have no measureable headspace. Why not load ammo with no headspace instead of loading ammo that might have headspace in your weapons?

Makes sense to me. I've always just full length sized per the die instructions and called it good. This is the first time that I've measured the finished product. My resized cases end up at .001 set back. I think I can call live with that.
Go to Top of Page

Ireload2

USA
286 Posts

Posted - May 24 2017 :  08:45:13  Show Profile Send Ireload2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You will get a little difference in the measurement because the two gage bushings create slightly different geometry.
In addition one bushing may have a larger chamfer than the other.
Since the chamfers vary results vary even when you have 2 bushings of the same size.
People who do not have that gage probably cannot answer your question since they have never seen the little edge chamfers in the bushing bores.

Pick either bushing and stick with it.
I would pick the bushing that lands closest to the middle of the tangent slope between the shoulder radius and the neck radius.

Once you have a little practice with it you will love it.

quote:
Originally posted by Gw hunter

Decided to get one of these and check the headspace on my reloads. The chart doesn't have my caliber so i took the average shoulder width (.4075). The bushings available are .4000 and .4200. When I use the .4000 my headspace is .020. When I use the .4200 bushing the headspace measures .022. Which bushing should I go with? Am I good here? Close enough? Any opinion is appreciated... Thanks

Edited by - Ireload2 on May 24 2017 08:52:47
Go to Top of Page

Ireload2

USA
286 Posts

Posted - May 24 2017 :  08:55:03  Show Profile Send Ireload2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do you know that you have no measurable headspace if you do not have a means to measure your ammo?

quote:

Go to Top of Page

Ireload2

USA
286 Posts

Posted - May 24 2017 :  09:09:54  Show Profile Send Ireload2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The numbers that you mentioned demonstrate how much your cases stretch when you fire a new case in your chamber.
There is no reason to resize new cases if they are going to stretch .020 anyway.

What you need to establish is the exact length of fired cases from your rifle. Sometimes a case might have to be fired several times to take on the exact length of the chamber.

You can also trim and FL size a longer case like a .300 Win Mag until your bolt will just close with some drag on the case. This will tell you the exact chamber length with the gage.

Then set your FL die to size your brass to be exactly the same length as your chamber minus .001". The .001" clearance will enable trouble free chambering in a hunting rifle. If you load ammo for a lever, pump or autoloader you may want more clearance of around .002 to .003 to insure trouble free chambering in those action types.

For range use I usually set my ammo with no clearance for use in a bolt gun.

quote:
Originally posted by Gw hunter

Sorry... That's the difference between a new case and a fired case. I guess that is why you need to resize even new brass.

Go to Top of Page

Zero333
Advanced Member

Canada
810 Posts

Posted - May 25 2017 :  04:15:50  Show Profile Send Zero333 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I concur with Ireload2.

Just load and shoot the new brass.

Treat that trigger like itís your first date, not like youíve been married to it for 20 years.
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9122 Posts

Posted - May 25 2017 :  09:00:23  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ireload2

How do you know that you have no measurable headspace if you do not have a means to measure your ammo?

quote:

By setting up my full length sizer die to just kiss the shoulder of fired brass using the smoke or magic mark shoulder method. This method has been used "FOREVER" by handloaders and requires no gauges or measuring tools of any kind. It's called matching your ammo to "your" weapon.
Go to Top of Page

mtmuley
Advanced Member

USA
1815 Posts

Posted - May 25 2017 :  13:30:44  Show Profile Send mtmuley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The gauge accomplishes the same thing as the "old" ways of doing it. I like having a number that I can set to. mtmuley
Go to Top of Page

Ireload2

USA
286 Posts

Posted - May 25 2017 :  15:41:35  Show Profile Send Ireload2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do you know you have no measurable headspace if you cannot measure it?
You are talking total nonsense. Kissing is not a method or unit of measurement no matter how much confidence you have in it.
I can tell you right now that your FL sized cases vary at least .002" in length from the head to the datum line.

I should know because I used the same method that you use for about 40 years on about 30 different cartridges yet found that my sized cases were not as well set up as I expected.
Until you get a little more open minded about measuring your sized cases you will never know EXACTLY what you have.

I could put you on a witness stand and you will only have 2 ways to answer the question.
You can testify that you do not know how much clearance your FL sized case have or you can lie. Because without measurement you really do not know. It is called reality...

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Ireload2

quote:

By setting up my full length sizer die to just kiss the shoulder of fired brass using the smoke or magic mark shoulder method. This method has been used "FOREVER" by handloaders and requires no gauges or measuring tools of any kind. It's called matching your ammo to "your" weapon.

Edited by - Ireload2 on May 25 2017 15:47:26
Go to Top of Page

Zero333
Advanced Member

Canada
810 Posts

Posted - May 25 2017 :  18:52:32  Show Profile Send Zero333 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trust but VERIFY

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06