Load request
 .32/357 info?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

41magnum

USA
45 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2017 :  21:43:11  Show Profile Send 41magnum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A buddy has inherited a sgl shot rifle his Dad made, chambered for .32/357mag and has no info/data/dies.
I found 30/357 Paxton and 30/357 Hoskins info in P.O. Ackleys book but that's the closest.
Has anyone heard of this round or ANY info?
many thanx
John

The Ten Commandments are not suggestions.
www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com

Kosh75287
Advanced Member

USA
796 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2017 :  09:11:49  Show Profile Send Kosh75287 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the first I'VE heard of such a wildcat, but the existence of such a round hardly surprises me. If you have reloading data from the other .30-.357 rounds you mention, then starting low and working up with those data would probably yield tenable results. If no reloading data were mentioned, then perhaps high-speed .32-20 data or 7.62x25mm data could be used as a starting point.

One cautionary note:
There are rather ambitious data for the 7.62x25mm on this site (and perhaps others), involving the use of H110 and 90 grain Hornady XTPs. For all I know, these data might work well in the cartridge for which your friend's rifle is chambered, but I would approach them with all due caution.

Investing in some Cerrosafe and making a chamber cast, from which you can obtain cartridge dimensions, would likely be worthwhile. If you have chamber dimensions, propellant manufacturers may be more likely to provide you with starting load data for the round. Sometimes, they'll want you to specify the projectile of interest, sometimes, THEY'LL specify it. Be prepared to be flexible.

Sadly, I expect custom dies to be expensive. That's regrettable, for the cartridge sounds like a fun one with which to tinker.

ADDENDUM: Try googling the .30 Badger (essentially the same cartridge, but based on .38 Special cases). It appears they did their case-forming and reloading, using .30 Mauser dies. You could probably do the same, though I'd prepare to thin the case necks, if necessary. Necking .357 Mag brass down to .257" almost always require neck-thinning, but necking the same brass down to .308" might not. Best to be prepared, though.

God bless Jeff Cooper

Carpe SCOTCH!

Edited by - Kosh75287 on Jul 24 2017 09:32:01
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06