Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 Equipment
 Shelf life of bullets
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Coreyford

USA
35 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  21:41:13  Show Profile Send Coreyford a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hello everyone

I know this may be a stupid question, but is there a shelf life for bullets. Does the copper get brittle or does the lead change?. I am only asking this question, because I found some old 30 caliber bullets that must date back to the 50's. Thanks

lefty o
Advanced Member

USA
989 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  00:16:10  Show Profile Send lefty o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
as long as they are stored in relatively decent conditions, they will outlast you.
Go to Top of Page

Paul B
Advanced Member

3296 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  11:33:40  Show Profile Send Paul B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a few old bullets for the.303 Savage that are so old they have the silver colored cupronickel jackets. They could be loaded and shot today if I so chose to do so. The only thing you have to worry about is if the exposed lead shows what appears to be a white powder on the surface of the lead. That is lead oxide and is highly toxic. You can remove it with a damp cloth while wearing rubber gloves, or just use the same precautions taken when casting lead bullets. Try not inhaling any of the dust. Other than that, everything should be fine.
Paul B.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06