Techniques
 rust removal
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

determined451
Advanced Member

988 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2017 :  19:57:44  Show Profile  Click to see determined451's MSN Messenger address  Send determined451 a Yahoo! Message Send determined451 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have several die sets that have some rust on them..What is the bed way to remove it...have several sets...if there is a fast way..that would be a plus

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9124 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2017 :  23:43:17  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Plated or non plated dies? Rust inside or outside? I've never gotten rust on any dies but I'm in a dry state.
Go to Top of Page

determined451
Advanced Member

988 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2017 :  07:23:16  Show Profile  Click to see determined451's MSN Messenger address  Send determined451 a Yahoo! Message Send determined451 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Standard RCBS dies..kept in their case..rusy on outside only

The Second Amendment.. America's Original Homeland Security
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9124 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2017 :  10:09:41  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RCBS packs their dies with a disc rust inhibitor. Their dies are not plated so the easiest way to get rid of that rust on the outside of any die would be to sand blast them. then simply clean them inside and out in automotive solvent. Let them dry and spray them with WD40 before storing again. The reason your dies did not rust on the inside is they probably have case lube coating the inside.
Go to Top of Page

mikld
Advanced Member

USA
657 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2017 :  14:28:57  Show Profile Send mikld a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I toss them in my tumbler with lots of dry media. Usually don't have much trouble with them banging together, but they could be included with some brass if that is thought of as a problem. When clean, I just lightly oil the OD and the ID...

Vocatus atque non vocatus, Dues aderit.
At least I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Go to Top of Page

Rapidrob

USA
455 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2017 :  20:23:15  Show Profile Send Rapidrob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Electrolysis is the best way. nothing is worn or harmed. You can Blue dies to help prevent rust as well.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06