New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

calixt0

USA
35 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2017 :  19:30:47  Show Profile Send calixt0 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello all I've been reloading some of the above bullets with some H335 (they said ok via email with starting at 23 gr working to max of 25 if memory serves me correctly). I've just had mediocre sucess with these with the average groups going 3-4" best at 2.5" at 100 yards.. would it be beneficial to try another powder (varget or cfe223) or is bullet just a no go out of my ar with a 1:9 barrel?

Thanks in advance

Shaun

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9122 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2017 :  23:46:15  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First of al Shaun, What kind of trigger do you have on your AR 15? Second, what sights do you have on your AR 15? Third, what is the best group you have ever fired with any ammo out of your AR 15?

Edited by - Shastaboat on Aug 21 2017 23:47:02
Go to Top of Page

Onondaga
Advanced Member

USA
4017 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2017 :  01:21:46  Show Profile Send Onondaga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
calixt0

Test yourself with Federal Match Ammo in your .223. If you cannot group under 1" @ 100 yards the first 5 shots you fire, it is you, what you are shooting and the way you are shooting that prevents this. Federal Match ammo is good and consistent, getting reloads to shoot better is NOT easy. The Federal Match ammo will tell you about your skill as marksman and give you a preview of what you may do with excellent reloading.

Gary

Fine rifles are never really owned.
Go to Top of Page

Zero333
Advanced Member

Canada
810 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2017 :  17:27:48  Show Profile Send Zero333 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Gary.

Federal Gold Medal Match ammo ALWAYS shoots as good as my best handloads at 100yards/meters. Only at 300yards and farther out is where my handloads eclipse the FGMM ammo.

For the cartridges that FGMM makes ammo for I always have some on hand to compare to my handloads to see if it's the gun, the ammo, me or all 3 that are shooting like sh!t that day.

Treat that trigger like itís your first date, not like youíve been married to it for 20 years.

Edited by - Zero333 on Aug 22 2017 17:28:13
Go to Top of Page

budlight
Advanced Member

USA
1657 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2017 :  17:55:33  Show Profile Send budlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with all of the above ideas and questions.

What is your barrel length? Velocity allows the use of heavier bullets with slower twists. I have a few 9:1 and they shoot 75 grain fine.

I like fine ball powders. for 62 gr. and up I use AR-comp or H414. I use CFE223 or leverevolution for 55 grain.

I don't use H335. It's dirty and too fast burning to achieve higher velocities
Go to Top of Page

budlight
Advanced Member

USA
1657 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2017 :  11:54:00  Show Profile Send budlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought a lot of these because they are cheap shooting. I do use up to 24 inch match stainless barrels 1:9. They work fine as long range varmint rounds. Ballistic Coefficient 0.395 Where your 64's are sub .200 in testing

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1165614955/hornady-match-bullets-22-caliber-224-diameter-68-grain-hollow-point-boat-tail-with-cannelure

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1165559619/hornady-match-bullets-22-caliber-224-diameter-75-grain-hollow-point-boat-tail

Edited by - budlight on Aug 23 2017 11:56:25
Go to Top of Page

Zero333
Advanced Member

Canada
810 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2017 :  20:48:56  Show Profile Send Zero333 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think these 64 gr Nosler Bonded bullets might be ideal for AR's with 9" twists with the intention of using them on Bigger game like deer and some of the monster hogs.

calixt0: if you're not hunting deer then there are other much better and cheaper bullets for varminting and plinking. budlight's suggestion is the best bang for your buck.

Try a different powder like IMR / H-4895, Varget, or Win-748 if you like ball powders. If one of those powders doesn't bring your groups down to 1 moa then you gotta ditch those bullets for something else.

Treat that trigger like itís your first date, not like youíve been married to it for 20 years.
Go to Top of Page

budlight
Advanced Member

USA
1657 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2017 :  00:35:51  Show Profile Send budlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually us W748 in testing. The fine ball powders work very nice with small cases. I have a Dillon 550 and you can pump out rounds.

I at a young age had 26 inch bull barreled 22-250 and reloaded. The state I lived in did not allow 22 cal centerfire for big game hunting. I've seen deer hunting with even 220 swifts and 22-250's and it took more than one shot to put a deer down and it comes to ethical hunting. I kind of stop at 120 pound antelope with my big 243. Then move on up to 25 cal and bigger.

I've had friends that we couldn't find big game with classic side heart lung shots clear through 7 mags and I don't want to be with or around them hunting.

I would never consider a AR-15 as a deer gun!
Go to Top of Page

Kosh75287
Advanced Member

USA
796 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2017 :  10:08:14  Show Profile Send Kosh75287 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't consider an AR-15 in .223 caliber to be a good choice for a deer gun, either. Yes, lots of deer have fallen to them, but that doesn't make them by any means ideal for the task.

You might ALSO consider the use of magnum small rifle primers in your H335/64 gr. reloads. I cannot imagine that a standard small rifle primer isn't enough for the job of igniting a less-than-30gr. charge of H335, and it doesn't sound like you're having problems with erratic ignition. But SOMETIMES, just switching the primer from standard to mag does SOMETHING to make the load print a little tighter. Among other things, the mag rifle primer may more completely ignite and enable the H335 to burn a bit more cleanly (which never seems to hurt things).

The mechanical and other suggestions offered by Shastaboat, Onandaga, and Zero are all reasonable and prudent, but buying 100 small rifle primers and working up a load is cheaper than a new trigger, new pound of powder, or other remedies.

God bless Jeff Cooper

Carpe SCOTCH!
Go to Top of Page

Zero333
Advanced Member

Canada
810 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2017 :  22:09:07  Show Profile Send Zero333 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about the South West White Tails ?

I would have no problem using the 223 Rem with a proper bullet on them.

Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9122 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2017 :  09:32:55  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The poster hasn't been back....
Go to Top of Page

calixt0

USA
35 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2017 :  16:37:11  Show Profile Send calixt0 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sorry for my absense had a sudden death in my family and had to leave town for his funeral. I'll try to answer many of the questions.. I can often get 1" groups or really close to it with several different store bought loads. I'm using a 3-12 magnified optic. As far as trigger its just a stock trigger thats been slightly worked over. Its not great but not terrible either. anything close to an inch and 2 inch groups would be acceptable. I'm wanting to get these going for a hog hunt I have coming next march. need something with at least 62 gr (ranch rules) If I cant get these to shoot better I can always go with my 270 but would prefer not to.
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9122 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2017 :  19:36:26  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome back. Sorry for your family loss. Budlight has done a bunch or loading with heavies in .223/5.56. Best advice I can give you is to invest in a drop in trigger to shrink groups. I like and use H335 but he likes the powders he listed. However you may not get the velocity you need to stabilize them in a 16" barrel. Honestly you aren't gonna get more piggies shooting an AR unless you are one hell of a shot at running game. Shooting off a stand at hogs on a feeder, you are going to get one good shot. Take your .270 Win and bring home some meat. Use 130 gr. Save the AR for varmints, ground squirrels, jack rabbits and such.

Edited by - Shastaboat on Aug 30 2017 19:37:07
Go to Top of Page

calixt0

USA
35 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2017 :  19:42:14  Show Profile Send calixt0 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
shasta thanks.. I need to start working up a load for that 270 anyways
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9122 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2017 :  00:10:49  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All time good .270 win load is 57 gr of 4350 and a 130 gr Speer, Sierra, Nosler, Rem, Win, Hornady. Velocity at 3150 in a 24" barrel and will get the job done nicely.
Go to Top of Page

Zero333
Advanced Member

Canada
810 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2017 :  06:13:28  Show Profile Send Zero333 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For a Hog hunt I would use your AR and the 270 for backup in case something breaks on the AR during the hunt.

Hogs might be easy pickings at a feeder but the AR gives you the quick followup shots.

Many folk like the 65 gr Sierra Gameking for hogs and whitetails and this would be my choice if I was in your boots. It's cheap, it's accurate and it will harvest wild bacon.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06