Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9125 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2017 :  12:10:31  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zero, how invasive is the hog population in Ontario, Canada? Have you ever hunted hogs from a stand over a feeder? Like I said, you have to be a hell of a shot to register 2nd kills when shooting over a feeder. The hogs are so educated that it's like trying to shoot flies off a cow patty after one shot. If the AR was suppressed, I would agree with you but man they scatter at a single bang.

Also Budlight can attest that 150 gr is too heavy a bullet for most piggies unless you are shooting hogzilla. They can pass right through on a pig and then the pigs tend to run like hell into the brush until they expire. A 130 will make a large enough exit hole to increase the blood flow. A shot at the base of the ear will anchor them NOW with just about any caliber.

Edited by - Shastaboat on Sep 01 2017 12:14:52
Go to Top of Page

WonderMan4
Advanced Member

USA
2851 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2017 :  17:19:01  Show Profile Send WonderMan4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
A shot at the base of the ear will anchor them NOW with just about any caliber.

Even a 22LR. I have seen it done too many times in these parts.
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9125 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2017 :  19:22:35  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WonderMan4

quote:
A shot at the base of the ear will anchor them NOW with just about any caliber.

Even a 22LR. I have seen it done too many times in these parts.

+1
Go to Top of Page

mtmuley
Advanced Member

USA
1816 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2017 :  21:19:58  Show Profile Send mtmuley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm. Not 1000 ft/lbs of energy. mtmuley
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9125 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2017 :  22:48:22  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mtmuley

You're bad...lol...
Go to Top of Page

MIKESBARRO
Advanced Member

USA
3180 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2017 :  10:00:38  Show Profile Send MIKESBARRO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shastaboat

quote:
Originally posted by mtmuley

You're bad...lol...

But he's absolutely right...a 39gr bullet @ 1200 fps generates 125 ft lbs of energy. How can that possibly kill anything???

Mike

Awards are like hemmoroids......if you live long enough, every asshole gets one.
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9125 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2017 :  10:25:47  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually I saw a video of a big pig being killed by a pellet rifle.
Go to Top of Page

calixt0

USA
35 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2017 :  17:57:30  Show Profile Send calixt0 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shasta I've seen the same.. but usually those pellet rifle kills (unless highly modified) and .22lr kills are almost always sub 50 lbs. For me 50 to 100 lbs are perfect better eating. Unless I get a shot at a true monstor the bigger ones are gonna be let go.
Go to Top of Page

calixt0

USA
35 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2017 :  17:59:36  Show Profile Send calixt0 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

All time good .270 win load is 57 gr of 4350 and a 130 gr Speer, Sierra, Nosler, Rem, Win, Hornady. Velocity at 3150 in a 24" barrel and will get the job done nicely.

Shasta surprised me with this one as last time I asked for decent loads you kinda scolded me for asking for others work instead of doing my own load work up.. LOL Not that I'm not gonna anyways..
Go to Top of Page

WonderMan4
Advanced Member

USA
2851 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2017 :  18:21:10  Show Profile Send WonderMan4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The real all time good load was 59.0 gr H4831 (this was before there was any IMR 4831) and a 130 gr Speer Hot Cor.
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9125 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2017 :  07:10:45  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The real all time good load was 59.0 gr H4831 (this was before there was any IMR 4831) and a 130 gr Speer Hot Cor.

Good load but it won't chrono to 2850 fps in a 24" barrel. It took me 62 gr of H4831 and a 10" drop tube and compressed with 130 to even chrono 3041 fps.
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9125 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2017 :  07:34:24  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by calixt0

quote:

All time good .270 win load is 57 gr of 4350 and a 130 gr Speer, Sierra, Nosler, Rem, Win, Hornady. Velocity at 3150 in a 24" barrel and will get the job done nicely.

Shasta surprised me with this one as last time I asked for decent loads you kinda scolded me for asking for others work instead of doing my own load work up.. LOL Not that I'm not gonna anyways..

The reason I get testy is that getting load data from other individuals is no better than getting load data from a manual. Every weapon is an individual and what shoots in one weapon may not work as well in another.

If someone is working with a caliber that is not too common and wants data on a newer powder I understand the request.

I don't recall the request but if you asked something like. "Can anyone give me some recipes (lol) for 30-06 and 150 gr Speer Hot Cor bullets?" I would think...don't they have a manual and why are they too lazy to look the data up or have they bothered to take the time to look up some online "load data" sources.

If you were new and asked the following question: "I'm new to reloading and will be loading 30-06 with 150 gr bullets. In checking my manual I see lots of powders listed. Can you recommend a powder for me to use?" I'd bet 99% of the replies would be: 4895.

Most recently I've been working with my (2) deep throated .257 Roberts' Ruger 77's. I had been working up some 115-120 gr loads with 4350 and was looking to break +2900fps accurately. In discussions with Budlight he suggested I try H100V and Superformance as they are new ball powders and have similar burn rates to 4350 and 4831. Both powders are fairly new and not much published data is available. I've done some load workup with the H100V but not Superformance yet. We have worked with similar calibers and I might ask him how high of charges he went to. We both know how to load to max and find our accuracy levels.

Anyway, I hope you see my point.

Go to Top of Page

WonderMan4
Advanced Member

USA
2851 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2017 :  13:55:30  Show Profile Send WonderMan4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The reason I get testy is that getting load data from other individuals is no better than getting load data from a manual.

Oh, hell, and I always thought it was because you had your shorts stuck in your crack.

quote:
Good load but it won't chrono to 2850 fps in a 24" barrel. It took me 62 gr of H4831 and a 10" drop tube and compressed with 130 to even chrono 3041 fps.

Well, I said it was the real all time, meaning before chronographs were available to the common man. Back then, we really didn't give a damn if it shot 3800 FPS. It was accurate and it killed stuff as big as Elks and Mooses most of the time with one solid hit. It was deadly on white tails and armydillos as well.
Go to Top of Page

MIKESBARRO
Advanced Member

USA
3180 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2017 :  18:01:21  Show Profile Send MIKESBARRO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
The reason I get testy is that getting load data from other individuals is no better than getting load data from a manual.

Oh, hell, and I always thought it was because you had your shorts stuck in your crack.

quote:

Well, I said it was the real all time, meaning before chronographs were available to the common man. Back then, we really didn't give a damn if it shot 3800 FPS. It was accurate and it killed stuff as big as Elks and Mooses most of the time with one solid hit. It was deadly on white tails and armydillos as well.

I never had a chronograph until 6-7 years ago. I guess somebody should tell all of the critters that I killed that the bullets weren't going fast enough so they didn't count.

Mike

Awards are like hemmoroids......if you live long enough, every asshole gets one.
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9125 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2017 :  21:45:03  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know that we all took the ammo manufactures word for the velocity and then we found out that it was all BS and apparently wishful thinking. For instance Remington claimed 3150 fps for 130 gr Cor Lok's in .270 Win when in fact they only run 2750 fps in a 24" barrel. That's a big difference!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06