Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Classified
 Q&A
 9.3 mm bullets
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

C J V
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  10:30:35  Show Profile Send C J V a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where can I buy 9.3 mm - 193 gr soft point bullets to reload 9.3X72R cases??

Wolfgang
Advanced Member

3357 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2006 :  05:02:45  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage Send Wolfgang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Barnes, Nosler, Speer here and S&B (best selection) available in Europe only.

Armed citizens ensure a free state.
Go to Top of Page

C J V
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2006 :  08:33:20  Show Profile Send C J V a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info but they all make 9.3 bullets that are 250 gr or heavier. I need something around 200 gr to work up a load for an old rifle in 9.3 X 72R. I found that Hawk, Inc. in Salen, N.J. lists 9.3 mm bullets in 200 gr. I'll give them a call later today.

C J V
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang
Advanced Member

3357 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  20:11:09  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage Send Wolfgang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Original factory loads used a 18.5 gram (285.5 grain) jacketed lead core bullet and handloads were done with blackpowder and a 20.5 gram (316.4 grain) cast lead bullet. Quite a bit of conflicting info on this round but from what I could find on euro web sites, loads for the double rifles put the velocity of the jacketed around 2200 fps and the cast at 1850 fps... however, the cast velocity depended upon exactly how much blackpowder was used, proceedure called for dropping the BP into the case and compressing it in three stages then seating the bullet.

As long as the gun is in good condition, I see no reason why you could not use a lighter load of slow burn rate powder to keep your pressure down while still driving the heavier bullets.

Armed citizens ensure a free state.
Go to Top of Page

C J V
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2006 :  08:11:17  Show Profile Send C J V a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the October, 2003 issue of "The Accurate Rifle", J.C. Munnell has an article titled "The 9.3 X 72R".In it he tests a number of smokeless powder loads in four different drillings using RWS 200 grain bullets, Speer 250 and 270 grain bullets, Norma 232 and 286 grain bullets and a cast 251 F.N. bullet. I have two boxes (50/box) of the Hawk 200 grain bullets that I'll load with IMR 3031 to try to develop a load for my rifle. I also have two boxes of Nosler 250 grain ballistic tip (50/box) and two or three boxes of Norma 286 grain bullets that I bought 35 or 30 years ago. I'll probably try to load them at a later date.

The last few weeks the weather has been too windy to do much at the range down here. I'm hoping to get out this Friday if the weather cooperates. I have a new Savage in .243 that I want to try out. I bought it in July and, with the hurricane and all, haven't managed to test fire it yet.

C.J.V.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06