Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other
 Technical Tips and Tactical Bits
 NORMA POWDERS available soon?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rsbhunter
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - May 29 2006 :  18:01:57  Show Profile Send rsbhunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NORMA POWDERS, are according to Norma, soon to be available again soon through Black Hills Shooting Supply. I have e-mailed them to verify this, but if true, this would be great!!! If any one has any other info, Please e- mail me.

calsibley
Advanced Member

Canada
598 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  00:16:50  Show Profile Send calsibley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Norma ships to N. America only once a year. It all comes across in a single shipment. Once, about 20 years ago, the ship blew up in harbor, and we had to do without for an entire year. Boy, what a heartache. I think the law requires gun powder to be shipped in shallow draught vessels. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley
Go to Top of Page

curly

Canada
2946 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  13:41:39  Show Profile Send curly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cannot remember the last time I saw a pound of Norma MRP sitting on a store shelf....According to reloading authorities such as Clay Harvey and Ken Waters, MRP is a standout in the .338 Win Mag...

I would love to get my paws on a pound or two...but it will probably cost a king's ransom to purchase...

Curly

Edited by - curly on May 30 2006 13:42:21
Go to Top of Page

338User

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - May 03 2007 :  09:10:55  Show Profile Send 338User a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have asked about Norma powders because of the figures I have seen in the Hornady manual (3rd edition) for 338 Win Mag with 225gn bullets. However they tell me it is almost impossible to get any "explosives" out of Europe. They do import Norma ammo down under, but not powders. Hornady's Heavy Mag ammo chronograhphed 2920 fps out of my 338 (Ruget M77) so I wonder what powder they used?

338User
Go to Top of Page

curly

Canada
2946 Posts

Posted - May 03 2007 :  11:35:06  Show Profile Send curly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the senior moderators here at Reloadersnest (skyline) has been corresponding with the Canadian distributor for Norma Powders based in the province of Quebec...IF and when he gets a reply, he will notify the members interested in obtaining MRP regarding availability, price, and shipping costs related to the transportation of dangerous goods...

Curly
Go to Top of Page

curly

Canada
2946 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  16:48:13  Show Profile Send curly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The late Bob Milek of Wyoming used Norma MRP in his then new Ruger Ultra-Light 20' barreled .270 Winchester....The only powder to reach 3,100 fps with the short barrel was Norma MRP...(If I remember correctly the load was 61.0 grains with the 130 grain bullet)..
The only other powder to come close was H-4831, which maxed out at 3030 fps...

As I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread, MRP is supposed to be a standout in the .338 Win Mag as well when using the heavier bullets...

Curly

Go to Top of Page

skyline
Advanced Member

Canada
2807 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  16:19:02  Show Profile Send skyline a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK.........info direct from Norma.

In the US:

Black Hills Shooting Supplies (BHSS) is the US distributor for Norma. The Norma shipment is slated to arrive later this summer. You might want to contact BHSS about a local dealer.

In Canada:

The distributor for Norma is Nicholl's in Quebec. Apparently current shipping restrictions do not allow for powder, so we in Canada cannot get Norma powders.....we will have to go down and poach it in the US.
Curly if you want bullets, brass .......the closest Norma dealer is Wolverine Supply in Virden. As mentioned the Norma shipment is on its way so you would need to contact Wolverine and see what they have ordered to know whether they will be getting anything you want. The next closest is Elwood Epps in Ontario.

So there it is for what it is worth.

As a side note the new African PH ammunition by Norma is already sold out and they are working on a new batch.

Bottom line is, if want something Norma you better plan ahead through the dealer you plan to use to make sure he gets you what you want. If you miss the shipment it is a long wait until the next one.

The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
Go to Top of Page

WILLIAMDOERSAM

USA
1513 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  21:18:41  Show Profile Send WILLIAMDOERSAM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skyline

OK.........info direct from Norma.

In the US:

Black Hills Shooting Supplies (BHSS) is the US distributor for Norma. The Norma shipment is slated to arrive later this summer. You might want to contact BHSS about a local dealer.

In Canada:

The distributor for Norma is Nicholl's in Quebec. Apparently current shipping restrictions do not allow for powder, so we in Canada cannot get Norma powders.....we will have to go down and poach it in the US.
Curly if you want bullets, brass .......the closest Norma dealer is Wolverine Supply in Virden. As mentioned the Norma shipment is on its way so you would need to contact Wolverine and see what they have ordered to know whether they will be getting anything you want. The next closest is Elwood Epps in Ontario.

So there it is for what it is worth.

As a side note the new African PH ammunition by Norma is already sold out and they are working on a new batch.

Bottom line is, if want something Norma you better plan ahead through the dealer you plan to use to make sure he gets you what you want. If you miss the shipment it is a long wait until the next one.

skyline

Is Elwood Epps still alive? Seems to me I've been reading about him and his cartridges for a whole long time now. It seems he did some work with a 264 and pepped it up pretty good. It was as good or better than the 264 Win Mag.

Best wishes, Bill
Go to Top of Page

skyline
Advanced Member

Canada
2807 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  22:24:47  Show Profile Send skyline a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bill the store is called Elwood Epps Sporting Goods, just outside of Orillia, Ontario. The information I have is that some family members are still involved with it, but I do not know for sure about Mr. Epps himself.........I suspect not.

Go to Top of Page

curly

Canada
2946 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  08:31:54  Show Profile Send curly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kelly: I checked out the Black Hills Shooting Supply webpage...In big red letters...."Norma ammunition and powders now in stock"....

I wont be in Grand Forks, ND. until the 3rd week of July...I wonder if they will be sold out by then....I will email BHSS and see who sells in North Dakota...

Curly
Go to Top of Page

skyline
Advanced Member

Canada
2807 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  10:48:25  Show Profile Send skyline a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Curly they have some in stock now, but they are out of some powders. I was told their new shipment is due in later this summer as is Canada's. Unless of course they gave me incorrect information.

Go to Top of Page

Great Dane

Denmark
489 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  10:57:54  Show Profile  Visit Great Dane's Homepage Send Great Dane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He he...I'm happy to know when I need to buy Norma powder all I shall do is to drive by my local gunshop and pick it up

Hmm...But we do have the same troubles as you guys across the pond when it's the american powders we want

Great Dane/Lars
lars@reloadersnest.com

alcohol tobacco & firearms - should be a convenience store, not a government agency

Go to Top of Page

skyline
Advanced Member

Canada
2807 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  12:13:50  Show Profile Send skyline a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes Lars I imagine the US powders can be a pain in the ass for you guys to get. There are times when it is just not worth it no matter how much you want it. Curly is looking at driving a good distance and dropping a couple hundred dollars on fuel to shop in North Dakota. If you can't combine such a trip with other things you need to do.........well to hell with it.

Go to Top of Page

curly

Canada
2946 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  16:48:46  Show Profile Send curly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Update; I just received an email from Mike Beck of Black Hills Shooting Supply....He informs me they have a very limited supply of 1 pound cans of MRP-1..(no MRP-2) in stock at the moment...He does not anticipate the next shipment until Sept-Oct...He suggested contacting sportsworldtulsa.com for readily available stock...He also mentioned there are no dealers in North Dakota who sell the Norma powders...

This is getting tougher than I anticipated....

Curly
Go to Top of Page

WILLIAMDOERSAM

USA
1513 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  17:23:18  Show Profile Send WILLIAMDOERSAM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Curley

He's right about dealers in North Dakota. Marv's hardware in Mandan used to sell it but they have gone out of business. They just couldn't compete anymore.

They sold a lot of reloading stuff but that couldn't float the rest of the store. They had the best selection of Powders, primers, bullets in the state.

Gun City in Bismarck also sells reloading equipment, haven't been there lately though.

That leaves my nemisis SCHEELS. They are more interested in sweat shirts and tennis shoes. I wouldn't buy anything there. So Grafs and Midway get most of my business.

I used one of the Norma powders in my Swift a loooooooooong time ago but I can't even remember it's name. Then Norma powders weren't available for awhile and I substituted and never went back to Norma.

Hope you have good luck finding the powder you want.

Best wishes, Bill

Go to Top of Page

skyline
Advanced Member

Canada
2807 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  20:14:23  Show Profile Send skyline a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bill...........they have good powders but it ain't easy to get them for many of us.

Curly you may as well forget it I think. By the time we round this powder up it will be WAY to expensive.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06